• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Tahs will be trying to retain Folau and bring Beale back to Sydney.

I can't imagine JOC (James O'Connor) is a real option for the Tahs.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Sorry to be cynical, but the suspicion grows that Digby and his manager trumped up or wildly exaggerated the alleged Reds 3rd party deal reneging - for which they produced zero evidence to justify - in order to mask the hard mercenary fact that simply Digby wanted to take the extra c.$800k for two years in France. 'For my family'.

Why the bitterness towards Ioane - he seved the Reds very well in recent years.
Wouldn't you or anyone else for that matter leave a job that pays you 800K per annum to get another one where you'll get 1.25m per annum.
To be honest, I find it a little hypocritical.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
GG's comments that cheika might leave because of the bumblings of what appear to be the travelling secretary are beyond stupid.

I don't think Cheika will leave. That is certainly hyperbole.

The bungle was that the Tahs ended up on the same flight as the Kings from Jo'burg to Port Elizabeth the day after the Bulls game.

According to Benn Robinson it is the first time in his career that he's ever had to sit on a plane with the team he's about to play next weekend.

T

TOCC

Sorry to be cynical, but the suspicion grows that Digby and his manager trumped up or wildly exaggerated the alleged Reds 3rd party deal reneging - for which they produced zero evidence to justify - in order to mask the hard mercenary fact that simply Digby wanted to take the extra c.$800k for two years in France. 'For my family'.

I hope Digby has carefully checked his likely tax position over there as French income taxes are massively higher than in Australia on high incomes.

The bloke wanted more money, nothin suspicious about it, he was a good servant to Queensland rugby and I wish him all the best.... No one likes a bitter fan

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Why do people keep giving him a job? You have got to think that about 50% of his material is 100% fiction, and the other half is outrageous extrapolation of poorly researched toings and froings.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think Cheika will leave. That is certainly hyperbole.

The bungle was that the Tahs ended up on the same flight as the Kings from Jo'burg to Port Elizabeth the day after the Bulls game.

According to Benn Robinson it is the first time in his career that he's ever had to sit on a plane with the team he's about to play next weekend.

i'm not going after you here with this comment, so don't take it what way - but who cares? so what if they sit beside them on the plane? it's what a max 1 hour flight. they aren't going to be going over team strategy on a commercial plane. when was sitting next to a guy from another country who does the same thing as you considered a bad thing? if you don't want to talk, pull out the ipad/laptop and put on the headphones.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The bloke wanted more money, nothin suspicious about it, he was a good servant to Queensland rugby and I wish him all the best.. No one likes a bitter fan

FFS, there is zero 'bitterness' in what I said. I am not that obsessed with player and rugby matters. Agree with me or not, what I was alluding to was an ethical concern regarding what I suspect were the tactics used to commence the going-for-bigger-$s process with a severe attack on the Reds' management's honesty and integrity, accusing them/Jim C of being 'untrustworthy' which is a serious accusation in any language. That accusation was never backed up and was previously used by DI or his manager as the justifiable pretext for his departure decision. Now they have come out and said 'that was not really a factor at all, rather I want/need to look after my family, so I have to choose the big $s'.

I object to anybody in such contexts slinging heavy public mud against their employer - whom I think is likely a good employer based upon their record - with limited evidence and then later saying 'that really didn't matter after all'.

My principal concern is the complete lack of decency and proper conduct I see in many of these 'player managers'. They seem often to live in an 'anything goes if we can get what we want in $s' type of world, and I for one detest that.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Why the bitterness towards Ioane - he seved the Reds very well in recent years.
Wouldn't you or anyone else for that matter leave a job that pays you 800K per annum to get another one where you'll get 1.25m per annum.
To be honest, I find it a little hypocritical.

See my post above re 'bitterness', there is none re DI. Do I like the way he and his manager have gone about this whole process of exiting the Reds? No. Do I think the Reds' business management deserved the public smears from DI/his management on their integrity, no.

Now, re ' just natural to always take the bigger $s' argument. I think it's somewhat more complicated than that. I would guess at least 50% of the current Reds squad could today earn way more $s in Japan or EU than in Aus. If they all took the 'everyone should just take the bigger $s on offer line' we'd have a decimated (or far less good) squad and a culture where some loyalty between team, club, country, history in the game and themselves matters not one iota. That's the culture that now exists in large tracts of English soccer and, just read the UK sports media, by no means do all the soccer fans and commentators there think that's been good for that code as a whole.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That d

3rd best, I can see why you don't get the Phipps hate. :)

No so much the hate that he's a poor player but the dislike of his signing, he's an upgrade on McKibbin and the best halfback possible. Who's better? He was signed before Burgess.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
See my post above re 'bitterness', there is none re DI. Do I like the way he and his manager have gone about this whole process of exiting the Reds? No. Do I think the Reds' business management deserved the public smears from DI/his management on their integrity, no.

Now, re ' just natural to always take the bigger $s' argument. I think it's somewhat more complicated than that. I would guess at least 50% of the current Reds squad could today earn way more $s in Japan or EU than in Aus. If they all took the 'everyone should just take the bigger $s on offer line' we'd have a decimated (or far less good) squad and a culture where some loyalty between team, club, country, history in the game and themselves matters not one iota. That's the culture that now exists in large tracts of English soccer and, just read the UK sports media, by no means do all the soccer fans and commentators there think that's been good for that code as a whole.

You are entitled to be critical of his agent if you wish.
I guess the Reds are lucky to have so many players who puth loyalty ahead of a hefty pay rise. These are lofty standards to match.
If someone doesn't match these standards, however, in my opinion it is unfair and harsh to refer to a "hard mercenary" fact.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
On the Lance move, isn't he from NSW? From following him on Twitter I know he supports NSW at Origin time. Might have swayed him?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the Lance move, isn't he from NSW? From following him on Twitter I know he supports NSW at Origin time. Might have swayed him?

His Dad, Dean Lance played rugby league in NSW. Firstly for the Newtown Jets and then for the Canberra Raiders. He won a premiership with them in 1989.

He was from Canberra originally because that is where his Dad was playing when he was born.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Losing Lance is a pretty big blow, I really hope we keep the rest of our team in tact (specially the twins). The balance is what is key to the reds and it is pretty balanced at the moment.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I can't see why Lance would move down south. With Diggers on the way out, there's more cash on offer for him, plus a starting position at 15.

If he heads down to the Tahs, where is he going to be playing? 15, 10, 12? They have Falou, Foley and Horne in those three positions. Would he really want to risk having to start all over again and potentially ride the pine?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's with all these signings and re-signings happening now or rather being public knowledge? Is there some sort of deadline or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.