• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Also pretty important to remember that a high meters gained stat indicates a player regularly getting over the gain line. Guys like that are what makes it possible for quick-ball to happen and for teams like the Reds to really fire. Even if he isn't scoring tries as long as he isn't regularly getting turned over or butchering his presentation (yes Digby has issues with this but so do most wingers used in this fashion, they end up isolated more than other players do) of the ball Digby regularly gave us chances to attack a splintered defense on the next phase.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well no Digby , Oh well....

His choice,but If he didnt support his entire family. Im sure with his 800k a year he would be a happy rugby player in Aus..

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Curtis Browning has signed for 2 more years after knocking back a Brumbies offer.

Jono Lance will join the Tahs next year.

Good lad sticking round to play for Queensland!

Shame about lance, hopefully we can get someone to replace him but.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Why would Lance go to the Tahs? It is unlikely he will start, especially if Folau hangs around.

With the loss of Ioane, Morahan and Lance we should be in the hunt for an outside back. If Fainga'a goes the back line could be very different.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It makes a lot of sense for the Tahs. Not sure if it makes much sense for Lance unless the offer was too good to refuse. Maybe he is sick of switching 10-15 and wants to focus on being a 15. Other than that he will fill a very similar role for both teams but arguably has better opportunity for success at the Reds.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
<2ndlevel conspiracy theory>Now this talk about Link getting retained by the Reds is floating around. Link directing JOC (James O'Connor) might be a good thing for Australian rugby.</2ndlevel conspiracy theory>

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Says to me the Tahs don't think Folau is sticking around.

I find Cheika's recruitment of both Lance and Phipps really perplexing. Neither of these players strike me as 'just waiting to be outstanding in their next phase of development'. Rather they're just 'solid' players at best that are being surpassed by others on the rise, and IMO Frisby (for example) has way better development potential than Phipps.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Well no Digby , Oh well..

His choice,but If he didnt support his entire family. Im sure with his 800k a year he would be a happy rugby player in Aus..

Sorry to be cynical, but the suspicion grows that Digby and his manager trumped up or wildly exaggerated the alleged Reds 3rd party deal reneging - for which they produced zero evidence to justify - in order to mask the hard mercenary fact that simply Digby wanted to take the extra c.$800k for two years in France. 'For my family'.

I hope Digby has carefully checked his likely tax position over there as French income taxes are massively higher than in Australia on high incomes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I find Cheika's recruitment of both Lance and Phipps really perplexing. Neither of these players strike me as 'just waiting to be outstanding in their next phase of development'. Rather they're just 'solid' players at best that are being surpassed by others on the rise, and IMO Frisby (for example) has way better development potential than Phipps.

I think Cheika is really looking for guys who he thinks he can coach well to do what he wants.

There's a lot to like about Jono Lance. He is a good all round player who is an excellent defender and works hard. His versatility is a bonus.

I also think Phipps is better than a lot of people make him out to be. He's a definite improvement on McKibbin and I think is underrated in terms of how much of the Rebels attack and linebreaks he creates.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the Lance move makes sense. They need depth at 10 as outside Foley they have no one for next year. He can cover Foley, play 12 if required and play 15 in Folau is gone.
In Qld he is playing 15 but only does the shit part of the role. No chance to run with the ball and just make heaps of tackles.
It makes Ben Lucas more important to the Reds as he can cover the role Lance plays.
I'd really love UJ to have a good JRWC and show some promise. Otherwise I'd be on the look out for another 10 in the squad.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
What will be intriguing to witness is whether the Reds recruit some major new backs talent from non-Reds sources using Digby-gone-$s, or we solely opt for the further promotion of known home-grown timber. In this could be a decision of destiny for the Reds' fortunes 2014-15.

We'll know soon enough - by Rounds 6-8 S15 2014 I'd predict - just how good R Graham is at squad design and head coaching.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Quite a bit of Reds-related gossip from GG re Graham having issues with senior Reds players etc, and more....posted FWIW:

http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/181862.html

I believe it with Graham. he showed nothing at the force.
re oconnor, the brumbies have rightfully ruled themselves out so the only option is the tahs. this is plausible if the tahs don't re-sign folau...but then probably means they won't be getting beale either.
personally, it think JOC (James O'Connor) will stay in melbourne. going to his 3rd club in 3 years would hardly be overly beneficial for him.

GG's comments that cheika might leave because of the bumblings of what appear to be the travelling secretary are beyond stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.