• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I read that also and started to dream! I'd also love it if our marquee spot was used to nab someone like Brian O'Driscoll! He would be a great player to have in the squad..

Due to Ireland being the tax haven that it is if BOD, or any Irish player, plays out their last contract in Ireland they receive 40% of their tax payed over their career in Ireland back. It rules out any Irish player coming south for a pre retirement jaunt unfortunately. On a side note though there were strong rumours that post world cup Heaslip and Fitzgerald were on the verge of move to the Tahs and Rebels respectively, so there is always a chance a marquee player could play a year or two down here.

T

TOCC

The problem the Reds have with recruiting is that most of their fans think that Wallabies who play for other states are generally crap players who shouldn't be in the Wallabies.

If they play for NSW then they aren't even good enough to be playing Super Rugby.

That's the problem with NSW fans, they think the majority of QLD fans are so one eyed they can't make a reasonable assessment...

Perception is a funny thing :/

It was only minorly tongue in cheek.

I was definitely not referring to you but there are definitely a lot of Reds fans who don't rate most of those players and would think that recruiting any of them was a waste of money. Looking at the comments, particularly on articles on the front page of this site gives plenty of ammunition to support this thought.

You really don't think there would be a lot of reactions similar to the comments below if one of these players were recruited by the Reds?

Robinson: fat, unfit, rubbish around the field. Greg Holmes is better.
Kepu: lazy, unfit, rubbish around the field.
Douglas: lazy, overrated, crap against the Lions, Simmons is better.
Dennis: rubbish. Quirk is much better. Worst Wallaby ever.
Hooper: Gill is twice as good as him.
Palu: soft, always injured, does nothing. Schatz is better.
Horne: can't/doesn't pass, can't beat a player, crap when he played for the Wallabies two-three years ago and I haven't watched him since.
Barnes: always injured, always kicks, absolute rubbish.

I've left out AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau because I think there wouldn't be much outrage over them.

Bloody hell, have you read NSW media comments/blogs/forums on QLD players...

This state parochialism definitely isn't a one way street..

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

I was definitely not referring to you but there are definitely a lot of Reds fans who don't rate most of those players and would think that recruiting any of them was a waste of money. Looking at the comments, particularly on articles on the front page of this site gives plenty of ammunition to support this thought.

You really don't think there would be a lot of reactions similar to the comments below if one of these players were recruited by the Reds?

Horne: can't/doesn't pass, can't beat a player, crap when he played for the Wallabies two-three years ago and I haven't watched him since.

I've left out AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau because I think there wouldn't be much outrage over them.

Those sorts of comments are generally in relation to Wallabies selection and yes there are plenty of them. Not sure if they'd represent the majority though. When talking about S15 exclusively and in particular players moving between franchises, yes you would still get the odd ridiculous comment but by and large I think the potential addition of most of those players would be welcomed. I'd go as far as to say that in very short time, they would become adopted QLDers and the Tahs would be lucky to develop players such as the ones that we do in QLD. :D

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
WOW

I agreed with almost every stereotype that Braveheart81 listed!!! (except for the Holmes being better then Robinson comment)

& Can I say.. I'm a proud ONE EYED REDS fan.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

But Gill really is 2times better than Hooper. It's not blind bias when it's clearly true :p

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Suddenly JOC (James O'Connor)'s value to the Reds just got a lot higher
I don't think his value has ever been questioned. It's more his cost that worries me! ;-)

JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback tonight might've made a difference but I doubt it. We got belted in the forwards.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Reds back line showed no x factor outside the halves at all, crucial failing when you know the opposition are going to flood your halves. JOC (James O'Connor) probably wouldn't have changed the end result, but at 12 or 15 he'd have given the halves more options, created a lot more doubt in Crusaders minds and you can be certain linebreaks would have happened. Do that and who knows what might have happened?

No idea what Woody thinks of recruiting him but JOC (James O'Connor)'s manager would be an idiot not to follow up on it.

One good thing came out of the game, Cooper played well.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Reds have really lost the spark this year hey Athilnaur... I cant quite pick it and I honestly (and yes this is through rose coloured glasses) dont think its quade. He hasnt been in his most devastating form but he's still done all the basics of a 10 quite effectively throughout the year and the team aren't coming up with the goods.

Is it because QC (Quade Cooper) isn't playing the super high risk stuff of 2011? Is it the lack of combinations in the centres? Taps is nowhere near as devastating as he used to be. Ant Faaingas greatest asset in his Defence has also dropped off. Are we missing that third x-factor player in the backline (Bar Cooper and Genia)? Has the RG succession plan majorly backfired?

I suspect its a combination of all of these but would love for some input from others!! It really has me stumped.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
On the attack
- Playing a defensive 15 that provides no threat coming into the line has compounded things when the centres offer very little. Dagg does this beautifully and while I don't expect anyone to be that good it gives another option.
- Would really like to see CFS playing 13 from the start next year as he provides some threat that Taps and Fainga'a lack.
- Not sure why Link did not seem to like Morahan but I personally think he is excellent and underutilised throughout the year. TOO bad he won't be around, could have been the 15.

Start a get Mogg campaign. Woodward would suit if he can lose some of the brain explosions. Beale hasn't signed anywhere........

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
We need a ball running, body moving, dynamic 6/8 that isn't pushing on their 40th birthday. Now. We can't get out muscled like that ever again.

CFS needs to stay healthy and cement himself at 13. He's had some flashes of really, really excellent play there throughout the year. His combination of pace, size and skill is something special. Seriously, he's fucking huge and if he can run through traffic bouncing 3-5 tacklers at a time like he did a few times earlier in the season that's a pretty invaluable trait at 13.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reds back line showed no x factor outside the halves at all, crucial failing when you know the opposition are going to flood your halves. JOC (James O'Connor) probably wouldn't have changed the end result, but at 12 or 15 he'd have given the halves more options, created a lot more doubt in Crusaders minds and you can be certain linebreaks would have happened. Do that and who knows what might have happened?

No idea what Woody thinks of recruiting him but JOC (James O'Connor)'s manager would be an idiot not to follow up on it.

One good thing came out of the game, Cooper played well.
James is not really a god fit for the reds. I really do think they need some players who will string a long set of games together without injury instead.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
We need a ball running, body moving, dynamic 6/8 that isn't pushing on their 40th birthday. Now. We can't get out muscled like that ever again.

CFS needs to stay healthy and cement himself at 13. He's had some flashes of really, really excellent play there throughout the year. His combination of pace, size and skill is something special. Seriously, he's fucking huge and if he can run through traffic bouncing 3-5 tacklers at a time like he did a few times earlier in the season that's a pretty invaluable trait at 13.

We got smashed in the forwards and the Saders were playing a really smart tactical game. We generally got the ball in terrible positions and had to kick it away or get mauled by them from the 30 minutes i saw in the first half.

On another night when the forwards were up for it we match them. Their backs are magnificent. Hope we have a counter attack as potent as that next year. RG study the tapes!!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
redstragic

Think we just desperately need a loosie who can get us over the line so that we can reset the attack in situations like that. Samo did a good job at trying to pull it off but he's got an expiration date coming up.

Big Kev really is the only notable ball carrier we had in our entire starting pack and he didn't have the best night carrying the ball either which really killed us on attack.

A guy like MMM would do wonders for setting up our backs.

Lance at 12 was also pretty dreadful. Wish Link/RG (fuck only knows who is actually calling the shots) would have just gone with Taps at 12, CFS at 13 and started Moz on the wing. I don't like that CFS is getting moved around so much and the only time Taps has really impressed has been when he is wearing 12. He's never, ever had an exceptionally good game at 13.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Is Luke Jones on the market?

Is Ita Via signed to the Brumbies next year?

Is McDurling being set free or are we keeping him.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
This REDS team is going to stink next year.

I think LINK got the best out of their players but Richard Graham not so much.. I saw some of those talented force teams & I believe Michael Foley is doing more with less then stellar cast then Graham did when he had XFactors such as Pocock & JOC (James O'Connor).

Plus Richard Graham is not a coach that players will want to play for.. I understand we had a resigning trio of Slipper, Simmons & Gill recently which is good. but if you wanted to lure from other states then it's not happening to the REDS.

If I was a free agent & was basing my decision on coaching my order of Aus franchises would be

1. Brumbies - White
2. NSW - Cheika
3. Force - Foley
4. Rebels - McGahan
5. Reds - Graham

It really is a sorry day for this franchise with Link leaving. Richard Graham might be a nice enough bloke.. But he offers nothing else!!!

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am so confident that the REDS won't be any good next season & we will be looking for a new coach this time next season (actually a week earlier because I don't believe we will make the finals)

BIG CALL I know... But that's how much I don't believe in this move.

LINK = OVERACHIEVING PLAYERS
GRAHAM = UNDERACHIEVING

Recipe for disaster!!!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I am so confident that the REDS won't be any good next season & we will be looking for a new coach this time next season (actually a week earlier because I don't believe we will make the finals)

BIG CALL I know. But that's how much I don't believe in this move.

LINK = OVERACHIEVING PLAYERS
GRAHAM = UNDERACHIEVING

Recipe for disaster!!!

Get a grip man. What evidence do you have that players underachieve under him? If you say the Force i would say that the squad the Reds have is quite a lot better than he had at the Force. He probably did well with what he had.

Status
Not open for further replies.