• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'm really not trying to peddle JOC (James O'Connor), was just speculating Reds would probably look at him, but other than 2012 JOC (James O'Connor) is pretty good on injury. He only missed two games this year through injury, and one through Lions tour period.

Mitts off Jones.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Get a grip man. What evidence do you have that players underachieve under him? If you say the Force i would say that the squad the Reds have is quite a lot better than he had at the Force. He probably did well with what he had.

I am entitled to freak out until he proves me wrong.

If anything the reigns were handed over to Richard Graham this season with Link taking a backseat & we have gone backwards (essentially with the same lineup minus Scotty)

Couldn't score points this season.. We got so lucky in many contests where if the ball had bounced a different way in the last 5 minutes we probably would of ended up losing that match (Blues & Hurricanes games are examples I can remember)

Isn't Richard bread & butter his defence??? Well we all saw the development with QC (Quade Cooper) last night going back to his turnstile ways against the Crusaders last night.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What surprised me was the distinct lack of attacking threat from the Reds.

The pick and goes were perfunctorily taken care off. They just tackled the plonker carrying the ball and didn't commit to the breakdown until the Reds ran out of cleanout units,then turned over the ball by flooding the breakdown

Even Cooper was taken care of, they just manned up on his support runners. Cooper needs to learn run the ball more to me, step through contact and become more of a threat ball in hand on and through the advantage line. His only way through at the moment is a dummy and go in touch football mode. He used to step through and that held defenders up.

T

TOCC

I am so confident that the REDS won't be any good next season & we will be looking for a new coach this time next season (actually a week earlier because I don't believe we will make the finals)

BIG CALL I know. But that's how much I don't believe in this move.

LINK = OVERACHIEVING PLAYERS
GRAHAM = UNDERACHIEVING

Recipe for disaster!!!
Richard Graham was the defence coach, Link was still the head coach... The Reds defence conceded the second least tries this season...

Too many fair-weather fans

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Richard Graham was the defence coach, Link was still the head coach. The Reds defence conceded the second least tries this season.

Whatever the merits of your admonition above TOCC, a central fact is that, last night, when sound defensive structures and execution were crucial in a sudden death QF match, the Reds' defence literally fell apart, 4 tries conceded and many occurred via bad Reds defensive lapses, especially in mid-field.

Not much point in having great through-season defence stats if that attribute can't be executed at the final foothills of the prized mountain.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
All I am saying is Richard Graham has big shoes to fill.
Richard Graham was the defence coach, Link was still the head coach. The Reds defence conceded the second least tries this season.

Hardly a fair-weathered fan mate.

I was on in the stands 2006-2009 circa which was some of our darkest days with season tickets & all.

I'm just not drinking the Kool-aid the reds be serving.

Prove me wrong Richard?

T

TOCC

Whatever the merits of your admonition above TOCC, a central fact is that, last night, when sound defensive structures and execution were crucial in a sudden death QF match, the Reds' defence literally fell apart, 4 tries conceded and many occurred via bad Reds defensive lapses, especially in mid-field.

Not much point in having great through-season defence stats if that attribute can't be executed at the final foothills of the prized mountain.

Yes defence was poor, and so was our attack... Some selections were very dubious and a few individuals failed to turn up... Are they all equally accountable as Graham? is this a witch hunt and Graham is the person we are going after or is this a sensible discussion on the collective failure of the team last night?

T

TOCC

All I am saying is Richard Graham has big shoes to fill.

Hardly a fair-weathered fan mate.

I was on in the stands 2006-2009 circa which was some of our darkest days with season tickets & all.

I'm just not drinking the Kool-aid the reds be serving.

Prove me wrong Richard?

You wanna talk about Kool-aid, how about the Sir Ewen McKenzie Kool-Aid everyone is sucking down, how is it Link takes no responsibility for the teams effort last light, James Horwill takes no responsibility... Apparently the person at fault is the assistant coach....

Be real people, Link is a good coach, but he isn't Jesus reincarnated, the sooner we all realise this the less disappointment we will feel when he inevitably loses a game to the All Blacks.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Okay guys lets at least give Richard Graham fail at the Reds before we tear him to shreds!
RedsHappy I think taking defensive stats from one game and ignoring a entire season is just wrong. Yes they were crap last night but every team has bad days. The fact is we only scored 9 points and have struggled to score all year. Remember if we had kept the Crusaders to 2 tries we still would have lost!

McKenzie was in charge this season and he is the man responsible for the Reds results this year. If anyone here thinks Link sat back and let his coaching credentials get muddied by anyone else I've got one thing to say to you. You're Dreaming.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
We got smashed in the forwards and the Saders were playing a really smart tactical game. We generally got the ball in terrible positions and had to kick it away or get mauled by them from the 30 minutes i saw in the first half.

On another night when the forwards were up for it we match them. Their backs are magnificent. Hope we have a counter attack as potent as that next year. RG study the tapes!!

That's tricky,when you have a defensive 15 defending in the line.I chuckle when QC (Quade Cooper) fans claim he is not "hiding"at 15 in defence.There are more opportunities on turnover ball than on kick returns.Especially when Gill is perceived as being the best ball thief in the competition.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes defence was poor, and so was our attack. Some selections were very dubious and a few individuals failed to turn up. Are they all equally accountable as Graham? is this a witch hunt and Graham is the person we are going after or is this a sensible discussion on the collective failure of the team last night?

I didn't mention RG. Just stated what I consider important facts re outcomes at crucial junctures in this comp when the objective is to achieve excellence in most facets of play in the finals period.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You wanna talk about Kool-aid, how about the Sir Ewen McKenzie Kool-Aid everyone is sucking down, how is it Link takes no responsibility for the teams effort last light, James Horwill takes no responsibility. Apparently the person at fault is the assistant coach..

Be real people, Link is a good coach, but he isn't Jesus reincarnated, the sooner we all realise this the less disappointment we will feel when he inevitably loses a game to the All Blacks.

There is some serious re writing of history with Link.They have been in decline since they won the comp.They didn't play worse this year than last year.and in any event,Link has not taken a back seat IMO.He has been the puppet master all year.He owns this years results.

T

TOCC

That's tricky,when you have a defensive 15 defending in the line.I chuckle when QC (Quade Cooper) fans claim he is not "hiding"at 15 in defence.There are more opportunities on turnover ball than on kick returns.Especially when Gill is perceived as being the best ball thief in the competition.

There may be more opportunity from turnover ball, however a quick assent of the stats will tell us that a team is likely to kick far more often then turning it over in a ruck... Teams kick on average 21 times a game, Gill is lucky to get 2 turnovers a game in 2013.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
but they don't kick to the 15, 21 times a game.How many times did QC (Quade Cooper) actually field a kick? How many times did he take the line on before offloading?
My recollection was that most times he dished it straight away with a long ball to the supporting winger.Any super player can do that.
How many turnovers are normally conceded in a game?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Please bookmark this page TOCC

I'm not the gloating type, but if I am wrong about Richard Graham, please remind me in a a years time when he has us back in the Super Rugby postseason.

I will happily eat the humble pie you are serving.

IDK I just don't believe in RG when it looked like he was heading for a offseason firing at the Force but took up this mates for mates job at the REDS & the Force didn't even really care that he was leaving.

T

TOCC

Bookmark this all you like, I'm not debating his coaching credentials, to me that's another topic altogether...

What I have been arguing is that Richard Graham shouldn't be shouldering so much of the blame for this match whilst others like the coach, captain and players who under-performed get a free pass...

People are looking for someone to blame, and it's laughable that the assistant coach is the person targeted..

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bookmark this all you like, I'm not debating his coaching credentials, to me that's another topic altogether.

What I have been arguing is that Richard Graham shouldn't be shouldering so much of the blame for this match whilst others like the coach, captain and players who under-performed get a free pass.

People are looking for someone to blame, and it's laughable that the assistant coach is the person targeted..

Ok fair point mate.

I agree he is not 100% to blame last night, It was a team effort the loss but it can't be disputed that if the REDS defence was improved last night then how come the anomolity where we were a turnstile for the Crusaders?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
You don't make inferences from single cases. Our defense has been excellent for the vast majority of the season.

Players were selected out of position and other players had poor personal performances.

Rewatching match right now and Gill looked very good early on. 2 Forced TOs in 19 minutes in spite of the fact that he was getting a bit of 'special' attention from the Crusaders pack

Status
Not open for further replies.