• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If you took my comments about him as a criticism,then you took it the wrong way.
By no means am I predicting he will fail,or hoping he will.
My impression of the Reds this year,is they were more conservative.
That perception might be totally wrong,or it may have nothing to do with his appointment.
I hope the Reds & the Tahs lead the try scoring tables at year end,it can only be good for the Wobblies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I didn't watch much of the force whilst he was coach. Was he the type of coach that picked up what was happening on the field while it happened and adapted to it, or was he one those coaches who only seems to pick up the issues after reviewing the game video?

If it is the former, then he should go ok as the reds have a reasonable number of decent players (less than last year though). If he is the latter, then it may be a bit messy as those coaches tend to be coaching the team to play last week's game instead of the coming week's.

He comes across very differently to McKenzie, Cheika, MacQueen and White. He seems a lot more affable.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sounds like Woody is copping the blame for the Force. Scape goat or just spite for abandoning a floundering ship? Lets not forget the Admin at the Force have a record of not being able to run a piss up in a brewery.

I see no reason why Woody won't do a good job with the Reds. He had last year to assess what he would inherit and plan where he sees it heading and the transition between coaches has been smooth and he has the backing of management.

Beside all that and it has nothing to do with rugby or the above, he seems like a bloody nice bloke. When we met him at Suncorp earlier this year it seemed like no problem at all for him to stop and have a polite chat with us while he was getting his coffee. My brother said we had traveled from Darwin to watch the game. He said "that's a fair effort" and sat down and spent a few minutes chatting to us. It left an impression on me as to the quality of the bloke. He also has an impressive track record being pretty open to the fans on this cite through his podcast contributions.

Step out of Links shadow and give it hell Woody. I'll back you for what it's worth.

T

TOCC

If you took my comments about him as a criticism,then you took it the wrong way.
By no means am I predicting he will fail,or hoping he will.
My impression of the Reds this year,is they were more conservative.
That perception might be totally wrong,or it may have nothing to do with his appointment.
I hope the Reds & the Tahs lead the try scoring tables at year end,it can only be good for the Wobblies.

I was just curious, like i said i never considered Eddie Jones or Robbie Deans to primarily coach 'arm wrestling' styles and secondly It would seem a strange approach to try and take a team like the Reds and have them play a conservative style given the forwards aren't exactly suited to that style of play.

I think if you examine the lack of point-scoring in 2013, a fair bit can be tracked back to the absence of Genia then Higgers and Samo.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Taps had a bad year in 2013. Shouldn't have been picked. Where does that mean Wallaby selectors and coach think Lilo did more with his chance as a Wallaby? They picked the form Super Rugby player, stuck with him but he really failed to fire.

You're drawing a long bow to say that Lilo has done better than almost anybody regular in the last 5 years as a Wallaby 12 (E.g. Taps, Barnes, Gits) in fact.

And you're reading too much into my post. I have only commented in relation to Taps and Christian. No mention of anybody else over the past 5 years. However, now that you mention it, I would have either Tapuai or Christian in preference to Barnes and Giteau. As far as No 12 next year goes, I hope Matt To'omua stays fit and develops further in the position. I also would like to see him play 12 at the Brumbies, but I doubt that will happen. On this year's form. Christian would then be miles ahead of Ben, but as I said above, I hope Ben regains his form from 2012. There will then be good competition for the 12 and bench cover, which can only improve the Wallabies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I know everyone says players should be picked on form, but a consecutive quality performances in the wallaby jersey definitely give a player extra cred at the selection table.

In saying that I think Lilo is back to square one for 2014 wallaby selections, he did nothing outrageously wrong but he did nothing to state he is an automatic inclusion either. Conversely To'omua has runs on the board for 2014, he showed he has the ability to step up and play test rugby.

The way is see it there are two kinds of players: those who need to prove they deserve a jersey again and those who have a jerseys and it's their position to lose.

I believe Lilo had to go under the knife again for his ankle, so he is back to square one in more ways than one!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
RG has very good cattle to work with at the Reds - a lot different to his time at the Force.

I think he will stamp his "coaching" at Ballymore but will not try to fuck with the great culture that already exists.

His time at Ballymore will be judged on the performance of the team - winning and hopefully winning rugby games with great expansive running rugby and continuing to enhance the culture in which players want to be a part of.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes, but from what I have been told went to TSS as a rugby parthway. Born & raised until that point in Melbourne. My understanding.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
If we really care about where a player was born instead of where they played most of their rugby, Moore should be playing for Saudi Arabia.
Haha. It was not just where he was born.

I had heard that he was born here, went to southport school (here), played for sunnybank (here) and for the reds (also here).

I had not heard about him playing in Melbourne before. But thanks for clearing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.