• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agreed Ash. I think early on he looked middling. I assume GRaham gave Meehan the tap to start him and stick with him though. It took until that Stars game for him to hit his straps. He was also very good in the last game v the Rising.

Love the clip on Tui. I know its a highlight clip so can be judged but its good to see some of those abilities come through (leg drive in particular).

Reds have (again) done well creating some excitement around their new signings. In comparison the Force have released a clip of a single tackle from their outside back signing.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agreed Ash. I think early on he looked middling. I assume GRaham gave Meehan the tap to start him and stick with him though. It took until that Stars game for him to hit his straps. He was also very good in the last game v the Rising.

Love the clip on Tui. I know its a highlight clip so can be judged but its good to see some of those abilities come through (leg drive in particular).

Reds have (again) done well creating some excitement around their new signings. In comparison the Force have released a clip of a single tackle from their outside back signing.
The media/marketing team have been doing a great job over the last few years, they've put together some great hype videos.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Reds squad looking ominous. The shake up of the playing roster looks pretty good.

I think this year will be the real indicator of RG's strength as a coach. Last year what did he have? A forward pack that was running off old reputations, a gameplan that didn't suit said forward pack at all, which was too light..

This limited front foot ball to halves Quade & Will, who were coming back from injuries etc.

When we did have front foot ball we created some good movement & tries, like in the Cheetahs & Highlanders games. Those signings put us in a position to do that.

Further, add in the additions to our squad, and in my opinion our backline goes from "Potential" to "Lethal". There is some genuine wing depth and competition for spots to go on there.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
My biggest question is whether the forward pack will click in 2015 or whether it may take a bit longer. The Thomson signing ties everything together well but there will still need to be consistent performances from the big guns in Slipper, Kev, Simmons, Gill and Saia.

Brisbane City's performance in the NRC final gave me some confidence though by playing a well controlled forwards tight and structured game.

B

Bobby Sands

I think McDuling will be a better lock than Carter so long as he can stay fit. When they were both at Syd Uni, McDuling was generally considered the better prospect.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
My biggest question is whether the forward pack will click in 2015 or whether it may take a bit longer. The Thomson signing ties everything together well but there will still need to be consistent performances from the big guns in Slipper, Kev, Simmons, Gill and Saia.

Brisbane City's performance in the NRC final gave me some confidence though by playing a well controlled forwards tight and structured game.

I think the only question marks on form out of those listed is simmo and kev. Slipper has been consistently pushing hooper ( but just losing) for the best wallaby forward IMO, and faingaas form has come out of nowhere to launch himself to 3rd choice hooker and will take 2nd choice if Polota-Nau becomes out of form. I think this weekend will be a good indicator at where the locks are, particulary Kev.

B

Bobby Sands

Probably not a bad video to get an idea of his skillset. Playing at mainly 10 & 13 in this video.

Good front on defense which cause turn-overs, punting for position, line-running and ball-playing.

Give the man the ball.

T

TOCC

That been said, the writing was on the wall for the Reds in 2013.

Losses to the cheetahs and stormers, a draw with the Force and then to cap it off an absolute flogging at the hands of the Crusaders all occurred in the last 8 matches of the 2013 season.

The win against the Chiefs in Waikato was the Reds best performance of 2013, bookended by a number of poor performances. I tend to agree with trans-tasman opinion the the Reds benefited by the poor opposition in the Australian conference in 2013.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A big challenge for the Reds next season is to get some of the players who were challenging for the Wallabies a year or two ago back in that sort of form.

Ben Tapuai, Ant Fainga'a, CFS, Liam Gill, Jake Schatz etc.

The resurgence of Saia Fainga'a and James Horwill needs to be the impetus for those others to follow suit.

T

TOCC

A strong forward pack is all about selecting the right balance, for Gill I feel he has suffered due to the off balance at the Reds and Walabies. Lack of penetrating ball runners and physicality at the ruck from other players weighs against Gill at the selection table as the coaches demand a openside who can contribute more in terms of ball running and physicality.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Watching Gill in the NRC tells me he is already in form, he has reason to feel unfairly left out of the EOYT.

On what basis is it unfair? His NRC form was never going to oust Matt Hodgson who was in the test squad all season.

Whilst McMahon can play 7 as well, it would seem he made the squad when Fardy withdrew through injury and of course has now been selected at 6 for the first three games of the tour.

It's certainly a good thing for Australian rugby that a player with Wallaby caps who is in form can't make the squad. We need that sort of competition.

Gill's challenge for 2015 and beyond is to push his way back into the Wallabies despite facing huge competition for a spot.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't think Gill was unlucky at all.

Super Rugby form was indifferent. Good things and bad things but down on previous year and injuries in there.

Hodgson was clearly the form 7. Hooper has been the best over 3 seasons. No need to carry a 3rd. I thought McMahon was a little lucky to make the trip personally as he really isn't going to be an out and out test 6.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A strong forward pack is all about selecting the right balance, for Gill I feel he has suffered due to the off balance at the Reds and Walabies. Lack of penetrating ball runners and physicality at the ruck from other players weighs against Gill at the selection table as the coaches demand a openside who can contribute more in terms of ball running and physicality.

Bang on mate. He could form a deadly combo with Thompson. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed that Schatz picked up his attacking game in the nrc game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.