• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Everyone finally starting to see the light! As long as Hunt's defense is up to scratch then playing him at 12 seems like the right option to me. Of course there is also the consideration that RG might be very keen on Samu at 12 considering he stayed there for the entire NRC.

T

Train Without a Station

The main reason people spoke about Hunt at 15 was due to the fact with have centres coming out of our arse, one other fullback option who has been an excellent winger.

And he played NRL there primarily.

I certainly agree he'd be a great 12, but I think back 3 is more of a weakness for depth than the midfield. We already have 3 players who only player there (Kerevi, Fainga'a and Tapuai) to fit into 2 spots as well as CFS who can play there, where as full backs we have Hunt and JOC (James O'Connor) with Turner and JJ two back ups we likely would prefer not to use in that position. Then on the wing we have CFS, Turner, JOC (James O'Connor) with potentially Kuridrani and JJ again who we would prefer not to use. Based on the players we want to see on the park, that would be something like:

11. Turner/CFS
12. Tapuai/Fainga'a
13. Kerevi
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Hunt

22. Fainga'a/Tapuai
23. CFS/Turner

with JJ Tuilagi and Chris Kuridrani missing out. If Hunt plays at 12 you need to drop one of Tapuai or Fainga'a from the 23 and promote one of JJ or Chris to it.

Whilst Hunt may be even better at 12, I'd rather I team with him at 15 and no JJ Tuilagi, than him at 12 with JJ Tuilagi.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
JJ. Now there's someone.

Considering his NRC form, where he was quite arguably the form fullback (can't think of too many better? Sorry, yes DHP from the Spirit in his limited games) I think he may end up in the squad there or there abouts.

a backline of:

15 JJT
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Kerevi
12 Hunt
11 CFS
10 QC (Quade Cooper)
9 Will

puts threats (and initials) across the park, all capable of causing damage on their own but also all great runners of QC (Quade Cooper) balls. All very decent defenders and very physical, with JJ an exception.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The main reason people spoke about Hunt at 15 was due to the fact with have centres coming out of our arse, one other fullback option who has been an excellent winger.

And he played NRL there primarily.

I certainly agree he'd be a great 12, but I think back 3 is more of a weakness for depth than the midfield. We already have 3 players who only player there (Kerevi, Fainga'a and Tapuai) to fit into 2 spots as well as CFS who can play there, where as full backs we have Hunt and JOC (James O'Connor) with Turner and JJ two back ups we likely would prefer not to use in that position. Then on the wing we have CFS, Turner, JOC (James O'Connor) with potentially Kuridrani and JJ again who we would prefer not to use. Based on the players we want to see on the park, that would be something like:

11. Turner/CFS
12. Tapuai/Fainga'a
13. Kerevi
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Hunt

22. Fainga'a/Tapuai
23. CFS/Turner

with JJ Tuilagi and Chris Kuridrani missing out. If Hunt plays at 12 you need to drop one of Tapuai or Fainga'a from the 23 and promote one of JJ or Chris to it.

Whilst Hunt may be even better at 12, I'd rather I team with him at 15 and no JJ Tuilagi, than him at 12 with JJ Tuilagi.
Hey never know Quade went well at 12 for the wobs maybe he will play Job/Hunt at 10 and put Quade in 12 ;). RG thinks outside the box.

T

Train Without a Station

JJ. Now there's someone.

Considering his NRC form, where he was quite arguably the form fullback (can't think of too many better? Sorry, yes DHP from the Spirit in his limited games) I think he may end up in the squad there or there abouts.

a backline of:

15 JJT
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Kerevi
12 Hunt
11 CFS
10 QC (Quade Cooper)
9 Will

puts threats (and initials) across the park, all capable of causing damage on their own but also all great runners of QC (Quade Cooper) balls. All very decent defenders and very physical, with JJ an exception.

Reg. Based on 2014 do we really consider JJT in our first choice team? Turner and CFS will be lucky to make it through the off-season uninjured so he will of course come into the team, but does he fit into our very best 23? I'd argue not. His Premier form was supposedly sublime in 2013 and 2012 from what I've heard so I don't necessarily think his NRC form is an indication he is actually ready for Super Rugby level yet.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
NRC was played much looser and more emphasis on attack - especially in the early weeks in which JJT was a standout. He was able to carve up the lazy defensive lines and broken play. I can't argue that he was brilliant at that level and is obviously a talented player. I still have doubts on whether he can transition to the tougher and more structured aspects of S15 though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well we have to see how Karmichael goes. I think he'll start at 15 perhaps to give him some scope to learn the game. But I can see him moving closer.

As for JJ, he was excellent at Premier level and then thrown into Super Rugby level. And suffered.

But he was excellent at the NRC, a step up from Premier Rugby. Given another year in the professional environment and another off-season (with guys like Hunt, O'Connor, QC (Quade Cooper) and Will) I think we can expect a lot more from him this year.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
NRC was played much looser and more emphasis on attack - especially in the early weeks in which JJT was a standout. He was able to carve up the lazy defensive lines and broken play. I can't argue that he was brilliant at that level and is obviously a talented player. I still have doubts on whether he can transition to the tougher and more structured aspects of S15 though.
One thing I never understood and must drive Reds fans to drink was his kicking chase, he was horrible if he even bothered. Or was the times I watched him the exception.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
I watched every game I could of the NRC and JJ was the same as he was in Super Rugby - good feet and speed when he has a little room in attack, yet absolutely hopeless n defense, never in the right position and thus never able to make a successful tackle.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The Numbers are ridiculous. Of the 44 Georgians signed in the Pro12, Top14, Premiership, Championship and ProD2, 42 are forwards, 29 are props and 20 are Tightheads!
I guess they might struggle in 7's, would be entertaining though. Cant get enough of big units running

B

Bobby Sands

Apparently he has been barking at training, and everyone has been very impressed with how sharp he is tactically.

Status
Not open for further replies.