• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes , JOC (James O'Connor) has loads of talent , I hope the Red's have a great season with him . His stint at the Rebels was marred by injury and by the looks of him at Toulon he looks to have matured into a complete footballer . I remember in his last season at the Reb's he was pillared through the press after being steamrollered by Rene Ranger , what was not highlighted was the fact that 5 minutes before he cracked his sternum and faced up to Rene regardless - quite a gutsy effort I'd say . I will watch with interest .

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
10858541_10152835164830236_4945140889827874433_n-1.jpg

Reds might have a Julian Savea Clone on the wing next season!

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Reds might have a Julian Savea Clone on the wing next season!

A fit F-Sautia for, hey, 10 round-robin games next season, and I'll be happy.

Be nice to have JOC (James O'Connor) fighting for a bench spot, maybe.

Hope he doesn't get the Aiden Toua's.

reds3

Bob McCowan (2)
Reds team 2015
1. James Slipper
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill
6. Adam Thomson
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Samu Kerevi
14. James O'Connor
15. Karmichael Hunt
16. James Hanson
17. Ben Daley
18. Sef Fa'agase (EDS)
19. Hendrik Tui
20. Curtis Browning
21. Nick Frisby
22. Anthony Fainga'a

23. Lachlan Turner

Reds A
1. Pettowa Paraka (EDS)
2. Andrew Ready (EPS)
3. Sam Talakai (EDS)
4. Ed O'Donoghue
5. David McDuling
6. Ed Quirk
7. Beau Robinson
8. Lolo Fakaosilea (EPS)
9. James Tuttle (EDS)
10. Duncan Paia'aua
11. Jamie-Jerry Taulagi
12. Sam Johnson (EDS)
13. Campbell Magnay
14. Chris Kuridrani
15. Jake McIntyre (EDS)
16. Matthew Mafi
17. Haydn Hirsimaki
18. Taniela Tupou (WTG)
19. Marco Kotze (EDS)
20. Adam Korczyk (EDS)
21. Michael Gunn (EDS)
22. Scott Gale

23. Brando Va'aulu

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It looks like F'Sautia turned into Albert Anae.

Albert didn't go overseas, Chris ate him.

Based on nothing but my own speculations/observations and with an abhorrent lack of empirical evidence to back up most of these choices, I would like to see this side given a go:

1. James Slipper
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill
6. Adam Thomson
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
10. Quade Cooper
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kuridrani
15. James O'Connor
16. James Hanson
17. Ben Daley
18. Pettowa Paraka
19. Dave McDuling
20. Hendrick Tui
21. Will Genia
22. Ben Tapuai

23. Lachlan Turner

Talking Points:

Browing at 8, No Schatz: With a 6/7 pairing of Thomson and Gill I think that Browning provides the best balance at #8, where there are more options and far less surety behind who will be playing there.

I initially considered recommending Tui at 8 but I'd like to see him get some time off the bench as he's currently a bit of an unknown quantity. Based on what I've seen from him he also likes to play a bit wider and with Thomson at 6, an 8 that players tighter would provide more balance to the back row unit. Tui also seems to have the pace and mobility to make him an exceptional bench forward once the game begins to open up in the closing 20.

Schatz is by no means a bad player but his line out jumping is what helped keep him in the squad last year, with Thomson starting at 6 this strength becomes a bit of a redundancy and I'd like to see what this proposed back row unit can do. I don't see Schatz as a "finisher" off the bench or a genuine option at lock, hence his exclusion from the pine.

Frisby > Genia: Unless Genia absolutely plays the house down in the preseason I just can't find any justification to start him over Frisby given recent form from the two players. Genia seems to be getting by in a big way on his "brand" right now. He's still not playing anywhere near his own standard, while Frisby was an absolute live-wire for Brisbane City during the NRC.

Obviously Super Rugby isn't going to be as loose as the NRC often was, but I don't think this matters much in this case. Frisby lit a fire under that Brisbane City team and provided strong service and that running option that Genia has failed to produce since the Lions Tour.

We need this kind of player at the head of what looks like one of the most dangerous back lines the Reds may ever produce. He seemed to significantly cut into the rate of brain explosions he used to have as well, not like Genia hasn't had plenty of his own too.

Karmichael at 12: Karmichael fits the mold of what I like to see at 12 and by extension is exactly the type of 12 that Quade has historically gelled with the best. He defends like a demon, runs straight and hard, but also has an astute kicking and distribution game which allows him to take the wheel occasionally while QC (Quade Cooper) looks for chinks in the defensive armor, or whatever it is he's doing when he runs all over the field shouting like a maniac while he's not at first receiver.

Tapuai's form last season (even being played out of position - he was inconsistent when he was regularly playing 12 too) just doesn't warrant a start if Karmichael is outplaying him at training. The reports that Karmichael has been doing a lot of the defensive organization/calling at training reinforces my thoughts that he should be at 12 and not in the backfield.

Kuridrani at 14: With Karmichael at 12 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 another winger needed to be brought in. With CFS filling the traditional left wing role, I think it's appropriate to bring in a traditional right wing as well. With JOC (James O'Connor) at the back that is one very balanced and dangerous back three.

Yes, I know that leaves two "non-kicking" players in the back three. I think this is somewhat tempered by how often and astutely (his ability to read 3-5 phases ahead and drop back in time actually still blows me away this many years later) QC (Quade Cooper) drops back to cover kicks.

It was a bit of a toss up between JJT and Kuridrani for me as they both have express pace (JJT may have a slight edge on raw top-end speed). Kuridrani had his own defensive issues during the NRC and I acknowledge that, but I just can't get over the flashbacks I keep having of JJT doing his best Kurtley Beale impression on defense several times last year.

Either player could fill this role depending on form. We need that lightning quick finisher to even things out and make the most of the speed of play this team should be shooting for.

JOC (James O'Connor) at 15: No, I haven't changed my opinion that James' best position is 14 - but he's been quite handy playing 15 in Europe as well.

He'll still have lots of time, space and opportunities to get on the outside of the defense and involve himself freely in the attack. His front-on and cover tackling are great. His tactical kicking is at least as good as what Karmichael will produce, if not better. He also provides a second option for drop goals outside of QC (Quade Cooper).

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Based on nothing but my own speculations/observations and with an abhorrent lack of empirical evidence to back up most of these choices, I would like to see this side given a go:

1. James Slipper
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill
6. Adam Thomson
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
10. Quade Cooper
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kuridrani
15. James O'Connor
16. James Hanson
17. Ben Daley
18. Pettowa Paraka
19. Dave McDuling
20. Hendrick Tui
21. Will Genia
22. Ben Tapuai

23. Lachlan Turner

Talking Points:

Browing at 8, No Schatz: With a 6/7 pairing of Thomson and Gill I think that Browning provides the best balance at #8, where there are more options and far less surety behind who will be playing there.

I initially considered recommending Tui at 8 but I'd like to see him get some time off the bench as he's currently a bit of an unknown quantity. Based on what I've seen from him he also likes to play a bit wider and with Thomson at 6, an 8 that players tighter would provide more balance to the back row unit. Tui also seems to have the pace and mobility to make him an exceptional bench forward once the game begins to open up in the closing 20.

Schatz is by no means a bad player but his line out jumping is what helped keep him in the squad last year, with Thomson starting at 6 this strength becomes a bit of a redundancy and I'd like to see what this proposed back row unit can do. I don't see Schatz as a "finisher" off the bench or a genuine option at lock, hence his exclusion from the pine.

Frisby > Genia: Unless Genia absolutely plays the house down in the preseason I just can't find any justification to start him over Frisby given recent form from the two players. Genia seems to be getting by in a big way on his "brand" right now. He's still not playing anywhere near his own standard, while Frisby was an absolute live-wire for Brisbane City during the NRC.

Obviously Super Rugby isn't going to be as loose as the NRC often was, but I don't think this matters much in this case. Frisby lit a fire under that Brisbane City team and provided strong service and that running option that Genia has failed to produce since the Lions Tour.

We need this kind of player at the head of what looks like one of the most dangerous back lines the Reds may ever produce. He seemed to significantly cut into the rate of brain explosions he used to have as well, not like Genia hasn't had plenty of his own too.

Karmichael at 12: Karmichael fits the mold of what I like to see at 12 and by extension is exactly the type of 12 that Quade has historically gelled with the best. He defends like a demon, runs straight and hard, but also has an astute kicking and distribution game which allows him to take the wheel occasionally while QC (Quade Cooper) looks for chinks in the defensive armor, or whatever it is he's doing when he runs all over the field shouting like a maniac while he's not at first receiver.

Tapuai's form last season (even being played out of position - he was inconsistent when he was regularly playing 12 too) just doesn't warrant a start if Karmichael is outplaying him at training. The reports that Karmichael has been doing a lot of the defensive organization/calling at training reinforces my thoughts that he should be at 12 and not in the backfield.

Kuridrani at 14: With Karmichael at 12 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 another winger needed to be brought in. With CFS filling the traditional left wing role, I think it's appropriate to bring in a traditional right wing as well. With JOC (James O'Connor) at the back that is one very balanced and dangerous back three.

Yes, I know that leaves two "non-kicking" players in the back three. I think this is somewhat tempered by how often and astutely (his ability to read 3-5 phases ahead and drop back in time actually still blows me away this many years later) QC (Quade Cooper) drops back to cover kicks.

It was a bit of a toss up between JJT and Kuridrani for me as they both have express pace (JJT may have a slight edge on raw top-end speed). Kuridrani had his own defensive issues during the NRC and I acknowledge that, but I just can't get over the flashbacks I keep having of JJT doing his best Kurtley Beale impression on defense several times last year.

Either player could fill this role depending on form. We need that lightning quick finisher to even things out and make the most of the speed of play this team should be shooting for.

JOC (James O'Connor) at 15: No, I haven't changed my opinion that James' best position is 14 - but he's been quite handy playing 15 in Europe as well.

He'll still have lots of time, space and opportunities to get on the outside of the defense and involve himself freely in the attack. His front-on and cover tackling are great. His tactical kicking is at least as good as what Karmichael will produce, if not better. He also provides a second option for drop goals outside of QC (Quade Cooper).

Wow! That looks a very strong squad, especially if a couple of current reserve Wallabies can be left on the bench or out altogether.

Looking forward to Brumbies v Reds next year. Forward packs about even, Brumbies more experienced and probably have an edge in the backs but the Reds' bench might be better than ours. Just need to see how the Reds' coaching improves over 2014.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I agree with your point re: Frisby over Genia USARugger. If the Reds want to be a forward thinking franchise they'd have to realise that Genia a) isn't playing like he used to and b) is one of the players more likely to go OS after the RWC. They need to start putting Frisby into the big games and letting him mature a bit more and then hopefully retain him over the next few years.

T

TOCC

I notice people keep listing Holmes as starting THP, last I heard is that he would miss the first few games of the season.. Has this changed?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I notice people keep listing Holmes as starting THP, last I heard is that he would miss the first few games of the season.. Has this changed?

This is actually ringing some bells for me, you may be right. Not sure if I'd rather see Slipper shifted to THP until Holmes is healthy or Daley getting pumped at THP :confused:

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)

1. James Slipper
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill
6. Adam Thomson
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
10. Quade Cooper
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kuridrani
15. James O'Connor
16. James Hanson
17. Ben Daley
18. Pettowa Paraka
19. Dave McDuling
20. Hendrick Tui
21. Will Genia
22. Ben Tapuai

23. Lachlan Turner

Talking Points:

Its amazing how many possibilities there is for the backline. Yours looks amazing, pretty much every backline recommended on here looks amazing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

would be good to get an update. I also read a report a day or so ago that Stiles had the Thor scrumming against Holmes at training.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I like it, but Chris Kuridrani, JJT and Turner I all see as being on equal footing and whoever displays best training form will get the first look at 14 is K plays at 12 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 15.

I think we're more likely to see K at 15, JOC (James O'Connor) at 14 and Taps or Ant at 12 to start the year.

Can Lachie Turner's ankle just not suck anymore please.

Also, enough about CFS's hamstrings. They literally haven't been a real issue since early 2013. He dislocated his shoulder having a bloke fall on it FFS.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Turner provides more thorough bench cover than either Kuridrani or JJT as he has experience playing in the centers at a very high level.

He's also not nearly as fast as either of them now so I wouldn't classify them as the same type of player for that reason alone. Turner hasn't been a finisher for a while. Despite his lack of rugby-nous, Rocket Rod showed us time and time again how vital having that gas-man on one of the wings can be for a team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I tend to think Kuridrani is not really ready for Super Rugby. I think he'd be strong in attack but his defence would be found out.

I think JOC (James O'Connor) and CFS will be the first choice wingers for the Reds. Hunt at fullback and Tapuai at 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.