• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'll be very disappointed if its Frisby but I've been saying it before the season even started they needed to give him preference over Genia, especially considering there were rumors of Genia leaving since January. The Reds needed to get on Frisby's good side and give him plenty of minutes at 9, even starting over Genia sometimes. Obviously circumstances have slightly altered that but he's been playing out of position all year in a team going backwards. Not the ideal situation for a young bloke trying to crack the Wallabies (although the next RWC is probably a realistic goal for him).

T

TOCC

I'll be very disappointed if its Frisby but I've been saying it before the season even started they needed to give him preference over Genia, especially considering there were rumors of Genia leaving since January. The Reds needed to get on Frisby's good side and give him plenty of minutes at 9, even starting over Genia sometimes. Obviously circumstances have slightly altered that but he's been playing out of position all year in a team going backwards. Not the ideal situation for a young bloke trying to crack the Wallabies (although the next RWC is probably a realistic goal for him).

I disagree with this sentiment, Genia is playing form rugby and is in my opinion still a much better halfback then Frisby.. I don't support the notion that they should start Frisby over Genia just in the hope that this faith sways Frisby to re-sign with the Reds..

Frisby will eventually earn his starting place, and his selection should be made on merit rather then trying to win over his signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Feel free to disagree but I firmly believe that in a situation like this, where you know a player (Genia) is definitely leaving and the team's season is shot to bits, a focus on the future needs to be made and that would be making sure guys like Frisby are playing consistent rugby in their preferred position. Not only for their signature but for their own development.

Same goes for starting Horwill over McDuling or Kotze.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well, after tipping the Chiefs to beat the Saders, Rebs to upset the Ponies and the Tahs to defeat the Canes, I went to sleep late saturday night expecting a huge payout from the TAB in the morning.

Unfortunately the final leg of my multi was the Cheetah's, which I thought was an absolute certainty.

Out of nowhere the Reds won and screwed me out of a massive payout.
Moral of the story being that despite being a season member the Reds are easily the hardest team to support right now, fuck them for winning the one game I wanted them to lose.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
All these problems everyone is talking about comes down to one problem. The QRU Board and CEO. Because there is no clear path for the future in relation to the coach players are looking elsewhere. The players aren't happy with Graham everyone knows that. Surely the Board and CEO can actually do something about it either privately or publicly before this season ends even more catastrophically.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Serves you right for tipping against the reds.

Mate, I've tipped them in nearly every home game this year and been bitterly disappointed. I thought maybe Cooper's return would spark them into a late run up the table but once we lost him I gave up pretty much all hope.

See, I have this theory that if I back against my favourite team I end up a winner regardless. If the opposition win, I get a bit of extra cash to drown my sorrows with at the pub, and if my team wins I have lost money but yet I am still happy because my team has won.

In the Reds case it's not such a good feeling when they win, primarily because the style of football they play requires a drink, or ten..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I disagree with this sentiment, Genia is playing form rugby and is in my opinion still a much better halfback then Frisby.. I don't support the notion that they should start Frisby over Genia just in the hope that this faith sways Frisby to re-sign with the Reds..

Frisby will eventually earn his starting place, and his selection should be made on merit rather then trying to win over his signature.

When the call was made to use a 9 as a fill in 10, it should have been Genia that shifted. Could of killed two birds with one stone that way plus Genia being the more experienced player logically was in a better position to adapt to the unfamiliar role.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
When the call was made to use a 9 as a fill in 10, it should have been Genia that shifted. Could of killed two birds with one stone that way plus Genia being the more experienced player logically was in a better position to adapt to the unfamiliar role.

And in the process could have helped Frisby enormously with tutelage and guidance.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is it a secret that Graham doesn't rate/like Frisby, and vice versa?

But given the exodus of experienced halves from Australia with:

Will Genia - Stade Francais
Luke Burgess - Zebres, Italy
Brendan McKibbin - London Irish
Nic White - Montpelier

What other options does the QRU really have, other than to re-sign Frisby on a much larger contract? Would that contract be inflated due to anything more than the "Stephen Bradbury effect".

Old mother Hubbard doesn't see much left in the cupboard!!

Ian Prior - ?!?!?
Scott Gale - yet, I think he is still developing

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Frisby is already on a substantial contract. If I remember correctly, in the few days a couple of years ago that were the whirlwind of Genia heading to the Force and then deciding to stay, the Reds quickly locked Lucas and Frisby into contracts. At the time Frisby was on the verge of heading down south to the Waratahs but stayed with the promise of more game time at the Reds. Then Genia flipped and both Lucas and Frisby got pushed back into line.

From what I heard the repercussions of that played a part in Lucas eventually moving on and now it will be interesting to see what Frisby does as he is virtually guaranteed the starting 9 job at the Reds if he decides to stay.

T

TOCC

Reds have actually locked in a good number of players for 2016(and unfortunately lost some), however like last year it will likely announced at the end of year function.

It seems Australian super rugby teams are giving each other mutual respect and not announcing the signing of players form other Australian teams...

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
It will be interesting.....

substantial contract?! - given the average salary is less than $80k per annum...

at 21 or so, would you choose to stay in an organisation where your development may be stymied due to lack of an experienced mentor, in order to be the starter, or would you look to knowingly become someone else's apprentice somewhere else?

then again, it seems that only Nick Phipps at Waratahs would be the only other half around with much more experience.

May as well stay, and start then. At least Sam Cordingley is around the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.