• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From an outsiders view it looks like we have an administrator running the rugby program. It's a bit like the church and state. Rugby administration and performance departments need to be separated. Once they are intertwined everything depends on the success of the team and currently that isn't going well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds HAVE finalised their squad, and will announce it at the Gala Ball in August

They may have finalised their squad but they are doing a terrible job of managing their fans. They need to make the average punter feel like they are a part of it. Having it announced at a black tie dinner that will cost more than most punters have to attend is a bit elitist if you ask me.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I hope they are just banking on the fans being so blown away by the stupendously amazing signings for next year that they will forgive all of the "not telling, not telling ner ner" PR sins they have committed thus far.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm just telling myself that they're keeping it under wraps because through some miracle they've brought George Smith to Queensland.

This is surely the only possible explanation.

By George,
He'd only be coming to the Gold Coast for a holiday on our beautiful beaches

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The 2015 Reds Squad has been leaked. Apparently some of the players rumoured to have been lost have actually been retained. It was all smoke and mirrors. To the recruitment team I say, well played that man, you had us there for a moment. Some amazing signings.

It's also rumoured that Volvo has been replaced as the naming rights sponsor and the 2015 Reds will be known as the 'RACQ Breakdown Service Queensland Reds'. Elastoplast have taken space on one sleeve while 'Rare Spares' are the new shorts sponsor.

15. Hynes
14. Turner
13. CFS
12. Toua
11. Ioane
10. Cooper
9. Genia
8. Palu
7. Pocock
6. Elsom
5. Horwill
4. McMenimen
3. Daley
2. Poloata-Nau
1. Slipper

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
They may have finalised their squad but they are doing a terrible job of managing their fans. They need to make the average punter feel like they are a part of it. Having it announced at a black tie dinner that will cost more than most punters have to attend is a bit elitist if you ask me.

What do you mean? Surely you jest as the hordes of emails we get when games are on make you feel like you're part of the experience!

T

tranquility

PAE, JOC (James O'Connor) and Karmichael would be a successful recruitment drive.

Remembering that we signed Kuridrani, and Kerevi to EPS spots the year before. They will come into the senior squad, in addition to JJ.

Enever will most likely come into the squad, and he is a good young TH lock, who debuted in 2012 I believe.

Then we have elite juniors such as Greene, Gunn, Mcintyre and Kite playing premier grade who are ripe for EPS spots.

We haven't lost too much in my opinion. Losing Aidian is a blow, but the block couldn't stake on the paddock unfortunatley. Losing Jonah is a loss, but RG knows exactly how good he is, and had earmarked very early. Whatever has happened it is not through pure ignorance of ability.

I wouldn't be throwing in the house of cards just yet.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I remember reading somewhere a while back, about when the Hurricanes did us over, a remark that Richard Graham needed time to determine his own squad for next year.
I'm thinking that the majority of those who are moving on have not being included in the future squad, and though there might be much nashing of teeth and wailing on the fields of Ballymore from the fans, that there is a plan in place, and that those players not in it have been given time to get the best options they can elsewhere.
Also, that for 2015, you cannot see a fixture schedule as formidable as the one that the Reds received this year.
So to the whiners, go suck.......

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ok, let's look at this then.

2014 contracted players:

Fullback:
  • JJ Taulagi (signed to 2015)
  • Aidan Toua (GONE)
Wing:
  • Rod Davies (GONE)
  • Chris Feauai-Sautia
  • Dom Shipperley (GONE)
  • Lachie Turner
Centre:
  • Anthony Fainga'a (Apparently gone/apparently saying)
  • Michael Harris (GONE)
  • Ben Tapuai
Flyhalf:
  • Quade Cooper
Scrumhalf:
  • Nick Frisby (Apparently gone)
  • Will Genia (signed to 2015)
  • Ben Lucas (Apparently gone)
Backrow:
  • Curtis Browning (signed to 2015)
  • Liam Gill (signed to 2015)
  • Ed Quirk
  • Beau Robinson (signed to 2015)
  • Jake Schatz (Apparently gone)
Lock:
  • James Horwill (signed to 2015)
  • Dave McDuling (signed to 2015)
  • Ed O’Donaghue
  • Rob Simmons (signed to 2015)
Props:
  • Albert Anae (GONE)
  • Ben Daley (signed to 2016)
  • Greg Holmes
  • Jono Owen (GONE)
  • James Slipper (signed to 2015)
Hooker:
  • Saia Fainga'a (Apparently gone/apparently saying)
  • James Hanson (signed to 2015)
Faingaas have been rumoured to be gone, and now staying. Apparently looking to Melbourne, but with all of their signings I'd suggest no. Let's work with what we know now.

Assume the following:
  • Karmichael Hunt comes in for Toua. This seems still some way from being confirmed.
  • James O'Connor comes in for Davies.
  • Chris Kurindrani will come in for Shipperley
  • Samu Kerevi comes in for Harris.
Replacing the props is harder. PAE in for Owen would be great leaving one of the young guys (Paraka or Kite) perhaps in with a chance to snag the next spot.

We then need to be prepared to cover a backrower potentially and at least one scrumhalf.
Don't know if we want to jump straight to Scott Gale or his ilk yet, when you consider Genia is likely to be gone for 2016. Perhaps Matty Lucas back from the Tahs? Or James Turner from the Force (thought he was a Wallaby to be in peek fitness).

As for a backrower, this would seem to be the area where we need to pull a Potgeiter and recruit someone from overseas as there doesn't seem many options locally. Although a fit Ita Vaea has some appeal I guess.

Would need to be comfortable we have a solid third hooker in the EPS though.

T

Train Without a Station

Do we need to bolster the backrow from a numbers perspective? I think with McDuling considered an option and Simmons and Horwill both having played 6 at times, we are a bit heavy there.

But at the same time, we need a line bending back rower on-field. Vaea would be a great pick up based on what's out there right now.

T

tranquility

I am going to come out an say it.

Good on you RG, you have made the tough calls and culled the deadwood from our side. A lesser man would have held onto them.

We need cultural change, and we need fresh blood.

I for one think our squad will be stronger next season, than it is this season.

Just play bloody Taps at 12, and I will be on your side.

Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.