• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Said it before, and believe it to be true. The Reds is the only Super Rugby franchise in Australia with a culture that could accommodate a precocious egotist like The Brand without damaging itself in the process.

For the good of Aus Rugby, one hopes he has learned his lesson and that he will knuckle under and contribute effectively to team goals on and off the field, whilst staying out of the news for all the wrong reasons.

I think that there would still need to be a fair bit of water to flow under the bridge before he once again dons a Gold Jumper.

Not so sure. Up til now, the Tahs have done a good job keeping KB (Kurtley Beale) under control but there are signs of the ego coming out now that he is in contract negotiations. Maybe the egos can't be kept under wraps with any of these "precocious talents"?

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wish the reds all the best. The 100's were in the national team and couldn't keep him in line and RG doesn't seem the character required to provide the strong hand.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This will be big. I think most of us are suspicious of what he may bring to the Reds from a cultural perspective. And it will be interesting to see how he combines (on and off-field) with QC (Quade Cooper). From a pure on-field perspective, its huge. He's an excellent winger and could be the best in Oz by the end of next season. I am sure he will get some game time at fullback too, depending on other signings. Old stages like us may question it, but the kids will love it and from that perspective it will help memberships I reckon.

I also expect him to become the face of Rookies2Reds alongside with Quade which seems appropriate. That's the market to push him, rather than the corporate stuff.

The fact that its 2 years is very significant and provides (me at least) a level of confidence in the intentions of both parties.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The rumour on KB (Kurtley Beale) says he wants to try his hand at Rugby League. Whether he will wait until after RWC is the question.

Appears KB (Kurtley Beale) is only looking at a bench spot (at this stage) and will that be enough to hold him in rugby.

I hope so

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Eddies puts the boot in

Jones unconvinced by O'Connor hype
28th June 2014 21:54

Former Australia coach Eddie Jones has stated that James O'Connor "has no track record for making his teams win."

O'Connor is set to return to Australia next year to compete in Super Rugby before the Rugby World Cup.

Regarded as a world class talent, Jones isn't convinced that O'Connor can actually help sides win matches.

''As good a player as O'Connor is, he has no track record for making his teams win,'' Jones told Reuters.

''The Western Force, Melbourne Rebels and London Irish were low end of the table teams and the Wallabies were not appreciably improved with O'Connor in the ranks.

''He is a fantastic, instinctive runner and kicks goals so he does clearly have plusses.

''The Reds have enough small players which gets back to my recruitment point that they badly need some effective size.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst the Reds want a big bopper or 2 (as do I) I think we are going to hit a wall in the front row.

Anae gone, Owen gone. Have Slipper and Holmes (who are both pretty durable and can play the 80 if called upon) but reserves are a long way below them. If either Holmes or Slipper gets injured we are fucked.

We need a good THP - PAE is not the answer, he's not even run-on at the Rebs. Rather see a concerted effort to spend some money and get Weekes back to Ballymore.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Surely the QRU can pay off the bouncers of Brisbane not to let James into a pub after 11 and send him packing after 12?

T

Train Without a Station

Whilst JOC (James O'Connor) is talented, Mad Eddie has a point.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Eddie missed that game and his TiVo didn't record it for some reason. Freakin weird hey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Nod, er, Reg has a point about Fast Eddie. Why, oh why, do lazy reporters give him ANY space in the media?

On JOC (James O'Connor), I'd be very concerned about the proximity of former schoolmates and friends from his past if I was the QRU. What about his family? Are they a positive influence on him? Or are they from the Dokic/Tomic school of influencers?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The rumour on KB (Kurtley Beale) says he wants to try his hand at Rugby League. Whether he will wait until after RWC is the question.

Appears KB (Kurtley Beale) is only looking at a bench spot (at this stage) and will that be enough to hold him in rugby.

I hope so

He proclaimed he wanted try his handle at league back in 2012. He was at a Rebels / SOO presser and came out of nowhere with that one. Would certainly make good coin and get to stay in Sydney. Apparently Cronulla are in the market for a 5/8 at the moment...

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
He proclaimed he wanted try his handle at league back in 2012. He was at a Rebels / SOO presser and came out of nowhere with that one. Would certainly make good coin and get to stay in Sydney. Apparently Cronulla are in the market for a 5/8 at the moment.

Mate - you're taking the piss out of me

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Nod, er, Reg has a point about Fast Eddie. Why, oh why, do lazy reporters give him ANY space in the media?

On JOC (James O'Connor), I'd be very concerned about the proximity of former schoolmates and friends from his past if I was the QRU. What about his family? Are they a positive influence on him? Or are they from the Dokic/Tomic school of influencers?

His mother is very nice !

Status
Not open for further replies.