• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah that's what I'm thinking BR

Horwill and Simmo are top locks.

EOD is reserve 2nd rower. I'm less than thrilled by this tbh. He's been a good servant but it getting toward his time to focus on being the full time Ice cream king of Brisbane.

Then you have McDuling, who the Reds seem to look at as a 6 who can play lock. I agreed but have recently changed my opinion. He lacks the speed and mobility to be a great Super 6. Hayden smith is rumored to be signed and he can play in the row. Enever is around too and can really only progress from here with game time,

Behind him are guys like Buchanan, Kotze and Payne who all lack the beef to be top locks atm but have potential to get there.

The middle rung is lacking. I want a guy like Murday around for sure.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
kotze n buchanen past the age to beef up - but kotze has a chance at 6ft 4 and 116kg to be a good 6 backup if he is dynamic enough.

Unfortunately, I think Kotze, who I am a big fan of, is past consideration. I believe he is in his late 20s and although a good club player, probably isn't up to the standard of S15. I believe he was in the Brumbies training squad last year and some SA teams before that and hasn't been able to make the cut. Not saying he will never do it but I believe some of the younger guys should be looked at first.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Payne is one to keep an eye on, he could be a really good 2nd rower if he fills out and his skills continue to sharpen.

Korzcyk is probably a little on the short and light side for 2nd row duties at S15 level. Could be a good 6.

Maybe you're right about Kotze, I'd class him similarly to McDuling in that I doubt he's fast enough to play in the back row.

Buchanan is only 25, so is Murday. They're listed about the same weight at 112kg but Murday is 200cm. If Bucky has a professional future it's probably at 6/8. Tom is a genuine 2nd rower and is absolutely young enough to still come good I reckon.

The blues seem to rate him.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I suppose to be fair I'm more attracted to Murday's workrate and aerial skills. Big engine, makes a billion tackles and can carry the ball skillfully. Physical stats are just a nice adjunct.

My personal opinion is that he either is already or soon will be a better option for the squad/bench than EOD

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Kotze would actually be one of the quicker forwards but really lacks the punch the reds need. He has had a terrible run of injuries and and has missed plenty of games this year. I still think he is a chance of making it further but needs to put in a lot of work.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Having had that rant, I heard Horan on mmm saying that Hunt and JOC (James O'Connor) are done deals as well as some big nasty forward. All will be revealed at the Galah's Ball.

Was told last night that the "big nasty forward" may in actual fact turn out to be Victor Vito who scores 2/3 in that description. Also got told his Wellington team got thrashed & AB put 50 past the Wobblys so not sure what to believe......

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah the reds are chasing Vito. A lot off hurdles though. Not a likely one at this stage.

What hurdles? He's off-contract & word is he's pissed at being cut from the AB squad with little to no chance (barring injury of course) of getting back in therefore looking to sign a big-dollar deal now rather than waiting until after RWC & competing with all the other discards.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd suggest the issue is, as you suggest, he's looking for a big dollar deal.

Well I suppose if you guys have spent up big-time on JOC (James O'Connor) & KHunt then, yeah, maybe there's not a lot left in the kitty. All will no doubt be revealed on Friday (?) at the Reds Grand Gala Ball or whatever they're calling it. If my Vito tip turns out to be a dud I will be having some stern words with my snout, he's generally pretty reliable in matters Hurricanes/ Wellington-related.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nah, you are right. He is being chased. Don't think it will be confirmed by Friday though.

I don't expect they will name a full squad on Friday. Possibly only JOC (James O'Connor). Not sure where Hunt sits. Will be most interesting to see where the likes of Quirk, Schatz and Ed Od.

T

Train Without a Station

Well he will certainly be less effective in the mongrel part. All style, no substance. Paying him match payments would be a waste.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Couple of interesting things you've mentioned born-red

I'm surprised the Reds would have gotten a chance to offer Quirk a place in their WTS, I would have thought a regular match-day Super Rugby player would been picked up off the market straight away overseas if he was available. If true, I highly doubt he will stay in QLD and not take a full-time contract elsewhere.

The Chabal signing would have made me excited about 5 years ago but at the moment I don't think its a step in the right direction.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Honestly unless Chabal is paying us I'm going to be pretty pissed off if that turns out to be true.

Does he even have a sliver of marketing value in Brisbane? Will anyone outside of the rugby faithful have a clue at all who he is?

Or did the back room just potentially sign a 38 year old because of his beard and ponytail?

Guess we will see!

Status
Not open for further replies.