• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I think our pigs will go just fine. They have been there or thereabouts the last couple of years. Our lineout has been excellent and at times a genuine attacking weapon, our scrum has generally done the job, dominating at times but others not so much, and our ruck work has been effective to good most of the time (in terms of what we needed from it). Where we've been lacking is that extra one or two dynamic ball running pigs that can get us over the gain line and give the Jessica's some front foot ball consistently.

The backs for mine is where we've sorely been let down the last couple of seasons. Never really looked dangerous with the ball to be honest.

I.

I disagree, whilst the set piece went well last year the forwards provided little front foot ball from general play, specifically they were regularly outplayed in rucking, counter rucking, ball running and defence.

The backs were often running plays against a set defence, no go forward in the forwards provided little opportunity for the back line to play to..

Yes the backs were at times poor, but a large part of their performance could also be attributed to the poor performance of the forward pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I disagree, whilst the set piece went well last year the forwards provided little front foot ball from general play, specifically they were regularly outplayed in rucking, counter rucking, ball running and defence.

The backs were often running plays against a set defence, no go forward in the forwards provided little opportunity for the back line to play to..

Yes the backs were at times poor, but a large part of their performance could also be attributed to the poor performance of the forward pack.
Yes and no. Front foot ball from general play was the issue in the pigs and sort of what I was getting at. I think we have the cattle now to address this with the inclusion of Thomson and if guys like Browning and McDuling etc can bring some aggressiveness then I think we will go a long way to fixing this. We had guys like Browning carrying well but doing it alone and defences could double team him. Having Gill back, hungry and in form too will go some way to tipping the rucking balance back towards us.

That being said, yes the backs had a hard time of it at times but even when they didn't, they showed little in the way of attack and/or innovation. We were consistently easy to shut down. Having a back line that has players like Hunt getting the ball in hand with guys like O'Connor out wide or chiming in from fullback, not to mention the Kerevi/Kuirdrani combination that is becoming more prominent, I think we will see a vast improvement to what we offered up last year. The improvement will be assisted by improved forwards but won't be because of it is I think what I'm trying to (poorly) say.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Last year I was disappointed in a few things, but primarily it was the lack of structure the Reds showed.

Under Link, we had different game plans but always the same base structure (and he brought this to the Wallabies: those claiming the last Test vs NZ before Link's resignation was a Waratahs game plan need to watch again to see the same-way pump the short side style of base structure that Link employs).

Last year, phase ball seemed a mess, with players seemingly unsure what to do. There was a similar aspect in the first trial, although conditions were far from ideal.

More team cohesion is needed, and that's what I want to see first up.

Secondly is better work at the ruck.

Whilst I agree that some go-forward was missed, I felt that it was a smoke screen for greater issues to do with a lack of structure. After all, Link made the finals last year with basically the same pack.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Given the way country played you do have to wonder. That said Graham brought him in and the buck stops with him, if Meehan isn't getting the job done then rg needs to do something about it.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone rhink Steve Meehan should be more accountable for the Reds backline woes? Everyone jumps all over Richard Graham but Meehan is the guy in charge of them.
I think Meehan certainly does, but Richard is the main one as he brought him in comes up with the (wtf-type) gameplans and he was in charge of the abysmal defence last year and the one with the 30% win percentage across two vastly different teams.

I have a strong feeling that given Richard did well as the aussie attack coach under Deans and then a did a good job as the reds defence coach under Link that he is probably a very capable coach in the technical aspects and utterly clueless when it comes to overall strategy and man management.

There are people who are really good at seeing what is happening on a field straight away, and others who need it to be broken down later next week to really see what is happening. RG is in the latter category I think.

Statistically speaking, if one looked at all traditionally sub standard teams over extended periods of time, Itvwoukd be interesting to see what their win % is like. What's the Lion's all time win % for example. I imagine that long time job successful professional entities would still have some win % just due to dumb luck or professional chutzpah or something.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The defence coaching last year was different to his defence coaching under link because he was now the head coach as well and man management was then a factor

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Graham ran a different defensive structure to Link. Link insisted on an aggressive defence, Graham ran with a more passive defence.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Does anyone else think KH did enough to justify wearing 10 next week? JOC (James O'Connor) or Turner are more than comfortable covering fullback and I'd be inclined to give it a go. I thought he looked quite comfortable tonight

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Graham ran a different defensive structure to Link. Link insisted on an aggressive defence, Graham ran with a more passive defence.

This. We jockey instead of shooting the vast majority of the time now. It's conservative defense at it's finest. Could work with a Gill/Thompson fetching duo and some decent sized boots in the backline now.

**Yet to watch 'Saders trial. Literally about to start now**

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has Adam Thomson played much lock? I seem to recall maybe a few games? Phil Lutton is suggesting he might start there with Simmo still out. Hope it doesn't depower the scrum. We might be able to get away with it against the Brumbies i guess.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm pretty sure he played a bit with the highlanders.
He's big enough anyway. 6'5 and 112kg according to the Internet which would have to be close to Simmos stats.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Any word on the injury to Fa'agase? If he's out we're down to one dedicated tighthead prop and slipper (unless we throw Tongan Thor in), so who do we have on the bench in round one and do we need to call someone else in?

As far as I can tell it'll have to be Daley and paraka on the bench with either slipper or paraka going to tighthead late in the game which seems less than ideal. If we've got to get someone in, the only short notice option I can see is calling kite back up from the Vikings, with our foreign spots full the options are otherwise limited. I can't see Thor being ready yet but he may end up getting a taste of super rugby sooner than anyone thought.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah have heard Sef is out for a fair few weeks. I thought Kite too. Wouldn't think Thor just yet. Would prefer a local club guy.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
How did the country guys go after Holmes was injured? The impression I have was the scrum went to shit, but I missed some of their later season games.

Status
Not open for further replies.