• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I didn't watch it at the time, but urban pop culture has it that an entire season of the 1980's Soap Opera "Dallas" was written off in the final show of the season as being a just a "dream sequence". Many Reds supporters are hoping that they are in the middle of one of Bobby Ewing's dream sequences and that they will wake up sometime just before round 1 of 2015 NRC to find that 2015 Super Rugby has been a fictitious nightmare concocted by evil manipulative forces beyond the Tweed River.

When reality bites, what is there to look forward to for 2016?
While the situation may not yet need a Reds Positivity Thread, but there is a lot of pain and 1/2 empty glasses of flat warm beer on the Reds 2015 thread.
Top of the Christmas list must be new Coaching staff, followed by confirmed signings of Key Players.

Who is off, who is locked in, and who should Club Red be looking to lock in for 2016?

Reds 2016 Player Status List (based on Reds 2015 Squad)

Confirmed leaving Reds in 2016
James Horwill (Harlequins UK 2016-2019)
Will Genia (probably signed with Bath or French Club)
Sam Johnson (centre) 2015 EDS - (Scottish Rugby)
James Hanson (hooker) to Rebels
Ben Tapuai (centre) to Force to end 2017
Tom Murday (lock) 2015 Short Term Contract to France
David McDuling (lock) to Shorks
Adam Thomson (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward) to Rebels

Contracted for 2016

Coach:
Richard Graham - signed till the end of time it seems.

Props:
- James Slipper to end 2018
- Ben Daley to end 2016
- Sef Fa'agase from 2015 EDS to end 2018.
- Sam Talakai from 2015 EDS to end 2017.
- Greg Holmes to end 2016
- Pettowa Paraka from 2015 EDS to end of 2017
Hookers:
- Andrew Ready from short term contract? to end 2018.
- Saia Fainga'a (hooker) to end 2016
- Alex Mafi to end of 2018
Locks:
- Rob Simmons to end 2017
- Cadeyrn Neville new signing from Rebels, to end of 2017
- Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui - to end of 2018
- Izack Rodda - to end of 2018
- Kane Douglas - to end of 2018
- Hendrik Tui (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward) - announced at the Gala Ball
Backrow:
- Adam Korczyk from 2015 EDS to end 2018.
- Michael Gunn from 2015 EDS to end 2018.
- LF Gill to end 2016.
- Curtis Browning to end 2016.
- Jake Schatz (loose forward) - to ? - announced at the Gala Ball
- Lolo Fakosilea (loose forward) 2015 EPS - to ? - announced at the Gala Ball
Scrumhalf:
- Nick Frisby to end 2017
- James Tuttle from 2015 EDS, to end 2018
- Scott Gale (halfback) from 2015 Short Term Contract to ? - announced at the Gala Ball
Flyhalf:
- Duncan Paia'aua to end 2016
- Sam Greene from 2015 Short Term Contract, to end of 2016
- Jake McIntyre from 2015 EDS to end of 2017
Centres:
- Campbell Magnay to end 2017
- Samu Kerevi to end 2016 (tbc??) - announced at the Gala Ball
- Anthony Fainga'a (centre) to end 2016 - said to be part of the FTS & FTA package deal
Wings:
- Chris Kuridrani to end 2017
- James O'Connor to end 2016
- Chris Feauai-Sautia to end 2017
- Eto Nabuli (from NRL St George Illawarra) to TBA
Fullback:
- Karmichael Hunt (fullback/Utility) to end 2017
- Jamie-Jerry Taulagi (fullback) from off contract to end 2017

Wider Training Group for 2016
- Taniela Topou (front row) Wider Training Group, to end 2016

Off Contract at end of 2015
Quade Cooper (likely to be signed by Toulon)
Beau Robinson (loose forward) - (playing 2015 NRC with NSW Country Eagles so probably Gooooone)

Unsigned/Unknown for 2016

Ed O'Donoghue (lock)
Marco Kotze (lock) 2015 EDS
Ed Quirk (loose forward)
Lachlan Turner (winger) (RWC cover contract with Toulon)
Tom Banks (winger) 2015 Short Term Contract

The Player Status List Above will be updated based on Crowd Sourced Information from posts below.

EDIT: Squad announcement from the 2015 Gala Ball

T

TOCC

Plenty of those players have signed, a couple have signed elsewhere... All player retention and recruitment is been kept in house much like last year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Yeah I thought people had agreed not to make a new thread until RG was announced as leaving... Otherwise it's just going to be the same morbid discussion across two threads..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It must be a NSW conspiracy to ball in the pain of the rebellious province of the Premier and foundation state.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah I thought people had agreed not to make a new thread until RG was announced as leaving. Otherwise it's just going to be the same morbid discussion across two threads..

The idea is to be miserable on the Reds 2015 thread, and to try and be positive and focused on 2016 on this thread.

It was not started to rub salt into wounds. That is a perception that I can not control.
We already have a couple of 2016 threads up, and most of the <next season> threads start around about this time.

Leave all the speculation about RG on http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/coaching-options-for-qld-rugby.15284/

Reds 2015 Thread should be used to discuss and disect the 2015 season http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/reds-2015.14132/

Use this thread to record who will be around in 2016 and to look forward to a brighter rugby dawn next season.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Look like you can lock up Simmons for next year at least with his comments in the Brisbane Times today.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RIPPER:

Queensland Rugby re-signs Slipper, Simmons and Frisby ahead of 2016 season

Captain James Slipper, vice-captain Rob Simmons and scrumhalf Nick Frisby have been re-signed to the St.George Queensland Reds for the 2016 season and beyond.

Slipper has signed for a further three years, through to the end of 2018, while Simmons and Frisby have been locked in until at least the end of 2017.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
that was a Reds decision last year.

They've obviously opted not to do it this year, I'm guessing to win a bit of public confidence back,

Maybe the ARU convinced them it was a bad idea?

You could also make a case for the ARU thinking that Slipper and Simmons were good announcements to make in the wake of the revised Wallaby selection rules showing that it isn't going to cause every long term Wallaby to go offshore as soon as possible.

For the Reds, it was a poor decision to delay announcements last year. It was then mirrored in them getting upset that Genia's next team announced that he had signed. No single team exists in a bubble so delaying your good news doesn't work because other teams will announce what is effectively your bad news (losing a player).

It meant last year that a whole host of Reds players had been announced as signing for other teams whilst people could only speculate whether certain players were going to stay and then by the time it is finally announced, the season is over and people are less interested in Super Rugby, particularly when their team has had a bad season.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Very happy to see Slipper & Simmons re-sign as it suggests that the sky will not fall with the new eligibility rules and saves the Reds two more issues they can do without.
(Recognising that simmons isn't quite on 60 caps yet)

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
that was a Reds decision last year.

They've obviously opted not to do it this year, I'm guessing to win a bit of public confidence back,

If they don't bone Woody and a bunch of others responsible for us sucking in 2015 it would be more apt to save all the announcements till the "Galah's Ball" like they did last year.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
To be fair there isn't much to be positive about ATM! Maybe if a new coach was announced or even a caretaker coach!! With new signings being kept quiet again maybe we should just focus on a Brisbane City 2015 thread!

I think there is heaps, I will boldly predict we will be better next season

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Very happy to see Slipper & Simmons re-sign as it suggests that the sky will not fall with the new eligibility rules and saves the Reds two more issues they can do without.
(Recognising that simmons isn't quite on 60 caps yet)

the concern I have with the 60 cap rule is that it seems unlikely that LF Gill will ever reach the eligibility while Pocock and Hooper are around.

This means there is no real incentive to stay a Red, in fact I hate to say it but if I was Gill I would consider moving overseas now, he wont be Reds captain anytime soon due to Slipper signing on again.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Gill was ahead of Hooper and got injured at the critical time, IMO.
I still think that Pocock is showing that the theory of the fetcher is not over and, if so, Gill is better at that than Hooper.
The numbers and the stars will not align for Gill.

Status
Not open for further replies.