• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
You could do far worse than Jake Mcintyre. Keep in mind, he managed to hold most of these other players out of a starting gig in the NRC, and did play for the winning side, but seems to be in the bad books with boss man Graham and the other officials up north. Feel a bit sorry for the kid, he managed to keep 2 super contracted players out of the starting U20's side last year, and can't get a look in at a team that couldn't beat the Bays U6's at the moment.

The alternative to the current crop of QLD youngsters and part timers could be someone like a Volavola type player. Hasn't really come along at the Waratahs, and with Foley re-signing, could be looking to shift elsewhere to get some time?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You could do far worse than Jake Mcintyre. Keep in mind, he managed to hold most of these other players out of a starting gig in the NRC, and did play for the winning side, but seems to be in the bad books with boss man Graham and the other officials up north. Feel a bit sorry for the kid, he managed to keep 2 super contracted players out of the starting U20's side last year, and can't get a look in at a team that couldn't beat the Bays U6's at the moment.

I believe he did his knee and is out for the season.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
That would go a long way to explaining his absence. Fingers and toes crossed he gets a crack next season, I thought he did a fine job in NZ last year with the U20's and again in the NRC and was quite looking forward to seeing him go for a gallop this year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes he was training with the Reds pre-season and him and Quade broke at around the same time. I think he was firming to fight it out with Duncan as to who would be 2nd and who would be 3rd string flyhalf.

something

Jim Clark (26)
i like mcintyre, he is a well rounded player for his age with no obvious flaws (pop gun boot aside), however he just doesn't seem like he has the flair to take it to the next level. I dont know, watching him in NRC last year, whilst he didn't make many mistakes i was always left wanting more.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I've heard that expression a few times over the weekend. What is a pop gun boot or kick?

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
He may not be a superstar or wallaby in waiting, but he seems like a reliable type 10, who will deliver week in week out. At the moment, he would be very handy for the Reds. However, they do need to develop an out and out star 10 I would think. The problem I can see (or can't) is that none of their current crop look like becoming that star 10, and I haven't heard any word of any coming through who are likely to take the mantle. Maybe Thor can play 10?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
McIntyre's major issue atm is a lack of physicality and susceptibility to pressure. Certainly not unique to him but when paired with his lack of a long kicking game I worry that he might get found out at super level ala Dallon Murphy. I'd prefer he was brought in carefully. The same should probably hold for greene but he does look a bit more composed to me and I feel he might handle the step up better. Needs to be tested in the nrc first, though.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wouldn't mind seeing young Dalgleish given a run in the NRC.

I don't watch much prem grade anymore (I think he's playing for Uni?) but he was a very promising schoolboy. He's still pretty young too and by all accounts playing well.

TBH, I'm not sure Sam Lane is the way forward for the Reds. Let the young guys fight it out in the NRC and fingers crossed one rises to the occasion. Would be great if we could pinch an O/S mentor for them.

Expectations won't be very high next season, it's a great opportunity to blood some new talent.

something

Jim Clark (26)
no doubt, what i like about mcintyre is that he isn't going to lose you a game. He is reliable and does all the basics really effectively. However, he doesn't have any subtleties or 'special skills' in his game that are necessary for a rookie at s15 level.

If you watch his NRC highlights (
) its pretty easy to predict his plays. However he does throw a beautiful pass at 6:11, and a well weighted kick at 4:06. He was in a good position having the competitions best 9 & 12 either side of him.

Contrast that to Greene (
) who has that long passing game and ridiculous kicking game, in play and from the tee. I feel like he has those different skills that can be utilised at super level. But Greene is rough, especially defensively. I just think his ceiling is higher.

What are the other options? Dalgleish is doing well. Duncan is still a leaguie really.

What i like about Sam Lane is that he is semi-proven at super level, he can hold his own at least. And has apparently been killing it for Manly.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah sam lane isnt really a question of ability, just if his knees will hold. He might be worth scooping up assuming McIntyre/Greene/Dagliesh will all hang around eps/ets, but to lose one of them elsewhere for him will be a gamble.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
there must be a story behind Greene's non-selection. He must have told someone important to get fucked or something.

I can't see any other reason for him not being given a chance. If Knuckles is involved in any capacity you know he will get a shot.

I'd love to see him on the bench at least for the rest of the season. Assuming Frisby stays at 10, Greene is better value (for mine) than having Gale on the bench. And he'd probably be the best kicker in the squad.

But that is 2015 talk, my apologies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I hope the Reds look everywhere for a new 10.

It is a nice idea to recruit a local but given the importance of the position I would be disappointed if we dont look for the best no matter where they live

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought that McIntyre had a few defensive issues, plus had an absolute mare in one of the last games of the season. He was generally good in the NRC, but was up and down a bit.

Certainly looked like he had potential, though. Shame he's out.

Reactions: gel

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
unfortunately i dont think we can look inwards for a Flyhalf. Macintyre, Dalgleish, Greene, Third, Tuttle - None of them are going to be able to perform at the required level. Tuttle might at scrumhalf. Sam Lanes probably the best bet but still isnt going to set the world on fire and is still possibly going to just be signed to join the Reds injury ward. Quade hasnt confirmed anything yet, and until he does, im not going to accept hes leaving.

something

Jim Clark (26)
unfortunately i dont think we can look inwards for a Flyhalf. Macintyre, Dalgleish, Greene, Third, Tuttle - None of them are going to be able to perform at the required level. Tuttle might at scrumhalf.

Mate, all these players are 20 years old and doing pretty well at Prem level. I wouldn't be so quick to knock them down.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Daniel Carter was 21 when he made his debut for the NZ rugby team, as was Grant Fox (he may have just turned 22). Noddy Lynagh was 20 on his Wallaby debut. Handre Pollard was 20 on his debut for the Sefrkians.

Plenty of other examples of young flyhalfs making international debuts around 20 years of age. If Greene, Dalgleish, et al are good enough, they are old enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.