• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah O'Connor would be worth a shot I reckon and happy to see Meehan go. Regardless of how good (or not) he might be, he hasn't been able to produce the goods for us so time to move on.
All of this amounts to nothing but if RG is still HC. :-/

T

Train Without a Station

I know the billionaires who own French rugby aren't exactly best mates but I also get the impression that burning one of them by backing out of a hand-shake deal would have consequences if/ when he does decide to chase the €uros. Can't imagine the Nigel's across the channel being too impressed either & I think we all know how the Japanese view people who don't keep their word....

Why does he ever need to chase to Euro? He probably has been and will be one of the better played Australian rugby players due to his profile and capability to acquire deals outside his playing contract.

Perhaps he doesn't need to going chase to few extra bucks for a couple of years?

He's been very well paid since around 2011. If he stays he will be one of the top earners for the majority of his career. Bit different to somebody like Kepu who only cemented his spot about 2 years ago as a first choice starter.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Why does he ever need to chase to Euro? He probably has been and will be one of the better played Australian rugby players due to his profile and capability to acquire deals outside his playing contract.

Perhaps he doesn't need to going chase to few extra bucks for a couple of years?

He's been very well paid since around 2011. If he stays he will be one of the top earners for the majority of his career. Bit different to somebody like Kepu who only cemented his spot about 2 years ago as a first choice starter.

So why go to Toulon & get your photo taken, in a Toulon shirt, with the Toulon owner?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Many assumptions you are making.

image.jpg

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
That sounds like good news to me, probably adds some credibility to the Michael O'Connor rumours too.

Any chance they'll over compensate now and put together a super star coaching team? A lot of ego's. With out balance might be just as fucked up at the end of the day.

Then again Woody will probably get the gig again so that can only leave one result.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
One thing's for sure re Knuckles' involvement: he's a very pro-active type of person (like him as a coach or not) and I'd guarantee he'll work hard to reassure those players worried about the supremely poor coaching and equally awful culture that 'I'll fix it, you should stay in QLD mate.'

Knuckles is not the type to just sit in RG's office whispering polite little snippets of coaching advice into his tin ear.

Equally, there's a major risk of players getting conflicting messages from these two vastly different types, and 'confusion reigns' could quickly become the reality inside Ballymore.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
You should listen to yoda.

One day, long into the future and far away, there will come a day when a single Kiwi rugby fan has a single nice and positive word to say about our Quade.

It will come about when a 70 yr-old HRH R McCaw decrees: 'it came to me as an inspiration in my dreams, and on this day I ask my nation to forgive Quade Copper of his earthly transgressions against me all those years ago'.

And then there was peace in the land, and suddenly the tiniest, but still only occassional, snippets of Quade fondness rang out from all corners of the land of the long white cloud.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
One day, long into the future and far away, there will come a day when a single Kiwi rugby fan has a single nice and positive word to say about our Quade.

It will come about when a 70 yr-old HRH R McCaw decrees: 'it come to me as an inspiration in my dreams, and on this day I ask my nation to forgive Quade Copper of his earthly transgressions against me all those years ago'.

And then there was peace in the land, and suddenly the tiniest, but still only occassional, snippets of Quade fondness rang out from all corners of the land of the long white cloud.

WTF? All I said was that if, as Toulon clearly believe, he made a hand-shake deal to go there & backs out he may struggle to find another Club willing to take him at his word further down the track.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
So, nothing new in that case?

Yeah, just an updated version. The current cynicism of the players as to what's gone on under RG and JC knows no bounds, so they'll probably all just shrug their shoulders and, with resignation and sadness over the whole mess it's become, depart for home.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Hynsie has put on the Reds Facebook feed that it is a bandaid on a gunshot scenario. Must be gut wrenching yo watch a team he put so much of his life into fall to pieces for nothing more than some decent management.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hynsie has put on the Reds Facebook feed that it is a bandaid on a gunshot scenario. Must be gut wrenching yo watch a team he put so much of his life into fall to pieces for nothing more than some decent management.
Are you able to screenshot or cut/paste it and post it up? I can't find it.
Unless of course he simply said that it was a bandaid on a gunshot scenario. In that case, thanks! ;)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Yep, his life plus he knows well so many of the current players and cares about them. He knows the inside.

If anyone needs validation of the deep problems infecting the whole team's morale and their viewpoints on the debacle we're enduring, look no further than Hynes' public comments.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Knuckles is not the type to just sit in RG's office whispering polite little snippets of coaching advice into his tin ear.

Knuckles will tell people what he thinks they should hear. I hope he really tones down his legendary mind games on his return and gets more involved in straight honesty.

T

TOCC

I'm not convinced that Connolly the solution, Rugby Union has evolved since Connolly last coached, a new generation of players have emerged since 2007 and the advancements in technologies, analysis and sport science have long moved past what they were 10 years ago..

How can he be entrusted to oversee and make decisions on a professional program when he hasn't been in the game for 10 years..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
All I can think is he is there as another layer of management to make up for deficiencies between the board and Woody. He'll probably have to come up with a report that will lead to a 2016 plan.

But as you said professional sport has moved on from 2007. For the fans sake I hope this does not lead to another lost year.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not convinced that Connolly the solution, Rugby Union has evolved since Connolly last coached, a new generation of players have emerged since 2007 and the advancements in technologies, analysis and sport science have long moved past what they were 10 years ago..

How can he be entrusted to oversee and make decisions on a professional program when he hasn't been in the game for 10 years..

Very good points TOCC.

But I'm not sure you need to worry too much re Knuckles being 'the solution', or even being intended to be.

I think there's at least a strong possibility that he's there principally to find a way for the QRU board to get itself out of the appalling mess it's created for itself. And by this I mean:

- finding a way to sack RG without the board having to directly admit it made a massive error in the first place, the consultant is used to 'reveal serious problems that the board was not fully aware of' and so on

- using the 'coaching consultant's indepth report and findings' to do this so that it looks as though he was required to uncover the truth and at last has done so all at 'the considered request of the board'

- using Knuckles as the catalyst to help them find a new coach and coaching group (as, quietly, they may well have by now lost confidence in their own judgement to do this)

All in all, to protect and shield badly bruised big QRU egos and to disingenuously attempt to distance the board from direct responsibility for an institutional disaster all of its own making.

Status
Not open for further replies.