• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The problem might be that with such a young group we have not established that Reds identity that comes from being around the old hands and many of them have moved on, we need the players like Sliper, Simons, Anthony Fainga'a etc to mentor these boys and build a team. To me there seems to be a lack of genuine cohesion, it's not just about your ability to play the game, because on paper we have the stats, it's about understanding each other like QC (Quade Cooper) and Genia understood each other that we are lacking. If we can just keep the players that we have, the likes of Liam Gill etc and build a team. It might take a season or 2 maybe 3 but stick with what you got, bleed in a few youngsters and we can be great again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its funny hearing Cheika on Rugby 360 after the first week, talk about experience, how you need the older guys to show the younger guys what to do.. guess that's why he brought back Git's and the likes.. That is something that the Reds kinda lack ATM, Simmons and Slipper are there Holmes but Slips and Rob are still young.. and in the back line you really have no one.. Hunt, and Gorumona (Spelling) .. Hunts a newbie to Rugby, and Gorumona doesn't speak English, brilliantly yet..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
MOC has a similar coaching style to Chieka. Hard marker on his players and will find out those who can swim in the deep end. Great option IMO definitely along side Stiles.

The main problem with the Reds is experience, the recruitment has got to be better. Won't elaborate on names until it's confirmed information.
Im sorry, I read an article the other day, which maybe or maybe not true, where MOC talked of how his game plan in round one was on track and his spent the off season seeing running lines improved... The Reds Attack is playing just as bad as before he came as with him after...

I've bit my tongue because Im a Brumbies Fan, but I live in Queensland and have a soft spot for them, but from what Ive seen and what his done, he ain't no Chieka..

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Still going to be a long road back as most of this sqaud is a few years from having good experience.

Moore will help with the loss of Holmes and should maintain our set piece strength. As will Douglas. I would really like to see a better ball runner at 8 as i think Schatz has hit his ceiling and it's the one area the forwards can do a lot better. Hopefully Gill has a RG gone clause in his contract.

Halves are the biggest concern in the backline. Frisby has been around this level long enough and needs to do better. Not sure about McIntyre, still many areas of his game that need to come together and I don't think we can afford to wait a couple of seasons for it to happen. There is a 10 in France that may be interested in a return to guide the young halves. I think there is potential in the rest of the backs. Hunt is looking good but think he needs to be at 12 such inexperienced combinations from 9-13, especially while Goro is here. Will look to see more from Kerevi. An experienced fullback would be nice next season.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ant must have ninja super powers if his soft touches can have knocked so many opposing ball runners into the middle of next week.

I went looking for these big hits, couldn't find any. I think they exist solely in the minds of those who have been infected by red.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The problem might be that with such a young group we have not established that Reds identity that comes from being around the old hands and many of them have moved on, we need the players like Sliper, Simons, Anthony Fainga'a etc to mentor these boys and build a team. To me there seems to be a lack of genuine cohesion, it's not just about your ability to play the game, because on paper we have the stats, it's about understanding each other like QC (Quade Cooper) and Genia understood each other that we are lacking. If we can just keep the players that we have, the likes of Liam Gill etc and build a team. It might take a season or 2 maybe 3 but stick with what you got, bleed in a few youngsters and we can be great again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the new coaching arrangement is looking to boost the defensive structures, it might be an idea to consider Ant Fainga'a for the job. Seems he has lost his spot in the starting 23, but his defensive reads of the game were always quite good, and it would allow him to remain around the playing group where he could influence the culture of the team and mentor some of the young players.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Curious as to who Reds fans would want to take over for 2017 and beyond. Here's a list of condidates, I'm purely asking for your opinion - have none myself.
  • Nick Stiles
  • Michael O'Connor
  • Brian Smith
  • Ewen McKenzie
  • Todd Louden
  • Tony McGahan (contract status unknown)
  • Zane Hilton
  • Stuart Lancaster
  • Wayne Smith
  • Robbie Deans
  • Colin Cooper
  • Leon Macdonald
  • Todd Blackadder
  • Heyneke Mayer
  • Scott Johnson
  • Alister Coetzee
Thanks in advance - maybe somebody better equipped than myself could write a blog or make a poll?

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Seriously with all this emotion and chaos going on, why doesn't someone simply go back to Ewan Mackenzie and go maaaatteeee, come back and give us a hand. He may say get stuffed but then again he may not. It would make a great story, value add to a program that is in tatters both internally and externally and provide some strong structure and leadership to current programs that is needed both at Super Rugby and underneath (regardless of the results). I am hearing from people of whose opinions I respect and trust speak volumes of RG character and persona and that is a credit to the bloke but the place needs to have a good long hard look at itself, ALL of the personalities at the place, their decisive groups and implement some quality structure that provides an end deliverable of quality environment and higher performance. Good luck to RG and family for the future.....

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Because I like to see them do well.

Just like the head shed promotes unworthy old boys, so do the supporters.

You have a real weird way of showing it then. Nothing you've posted recently gives the impression that you're even trying to contribute to the discussion. Some might even say you've been borderline trolling.

Reds administrators and fans will promote many players for many reasons, some objective and others less so. By all means stick around and discuss the Reds but maybe dial that antagonism back a notch or 5.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I would be extremely surprised if we were to ever see Link back coaching with the Reds. At best, he can only really ever just live up to the expectations of his previous tenure, more likely, he will fall short.

I believe that even when he was coaching the Reds he was commuting from Sydney which isn't ideal. He didn't want to relocate his family last time so I don't know why he would want to this time, and that arrangement must've been bloody tough to make work.

From a purely subjective spectators assessment, his last coaching gig looked like it probably left a pretty bloody sour taste in his mouth. I probably wouldn't be running back for another serving of that crap in a hurry.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Strange. I had completely pigeon holed him as a coach and didn't even consider a different role for Link. I like the idea of him as CEO. His strengths as a strategist were obvious and he was an apparently excellent man manager.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
You have a real weird way of showing it then. Nothing you've posted recently gives the impression that you're even trying to contribute to the discussion. Some might even say you've been borderline trolling.

Reds administrators and fans will promote many players for many reasons, some objective and others less so. By all means stick around and discuss the Reds but maybe dial that antagonism back a notch or 5.

With the crap the Reds have been through in their Super Rugby history than antagonism is exactly what is needed, on the field and off. QLD Rugby was tough in the amateur days, now it's just pigs at the trough getting as much feed as they can. Antagonism is what made the Reds sack RG.

Ant Fainga'a is exactly what the Reds don't need, meek and mild with no talent to back it up. Someone mentioned he was good at defensive reads, he never was. He was a good one on one tackler and many times sacrificed the defensive line to carry that out. It's this redressing of history that the Reds don't need.

They need a rocket up their backsides. I've never seen such large forwards get monstered so easily. Having a 100kg+ backrow not be able to make a single metre over the gain line points to psychological issues rather than physical.

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Thought about McKenzie in a higher admin position but thought about the way he left the ARU as opposed to future working relationships may be an issue but still a great thought. Take your point SCOEY and they are good points as well. The reason I thought about MacKenzie in a coaching role is that he was the most recent before RG, is aware of the existing working relationships and stakeholders; calming the public and the company sponsors must be high on the list at the moment. Expectations on seasons performance from every media source that I have read suggests that the Reds will be in the bottom 4 anyways so to stem the tide, was a simple quick fix until such time a PROPER and more TRANSPARENT review and search can be conducted....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyway, now that RG has gone, a quick up date of the stats on all time Reds pro coaches in Super Rugby:

McKenzie - 65 games, 44 won, 19 loss, 2 draws = 67.69% win record
Connolly - 57 G, 33 W, 22 L, 2 D = 57.89%
McBain - 23 G, 13 W, 10 L = 56.52%
Slack - 11 G, 5 W, 6 L = 45.45%
Miller - 35 G, 12 W, 23 L = 34.29%
Graham - 34 G, 9 W, 25 L = 26.47%
Mooney - 26 G, 6 W, 19 L, 1 D = 23.08%
Jones - 13 G, 2 W, 11 L = 15.38%

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
With the crap the Reds have been through in their Super Rugby history than antagonism is exactly what is needed, on the field and off. QLD Rugby was tough in the amateur days, now it's just pigs at the trough getting as much feed as they can. Antagonism is what made the Reds sack RG.

Ant Fainga'a is exactly what the Reds don't need, meek and mild with no talent to back it up. Someone mentioned he was good at defensive reads, he never was. He was a good one on one tackler and many times sacrificed the defensive line to carry that out. It's this redressing of history that the Reds don't need.

They need a rocket up their backsides. I've never seen such large forwards get monstered so easily. Having a 100kg+ backrow not be able to make a single metre over the gain line points to psychological issues rather than physical.

That's a better post. I wholeheartedly disagree about antagonism being the catalyst for sacking RG though. If that's all it took then he would've been gone over a season ago. There's not many situations where it value adds and I can't agree that's what we need now either. Happy to agree to disagree though.

I happy to concede that Ant hasn't been at his best for a season or two now but your statements are much stronger than commenting on recent form. Saying he was never good at reading the defence and distilling his entire skill set down to saying he was simply a good one on one tackler just has no basis in fact. If you are basing your entire judgement on him on what you've seen on TV then that might make more sense but even then I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that you have. Have you seen him play live?

In 2011 he was the backbone of our defense. Our D was organised largely by him. The fact that he was so good at racing up and nailing an attacker, shutting down a set move time and time again is testament to how well he could read the attack. You say he often sacrificed the defensive line but this just isn't true. He picked him moments to come out of the line very well.

I agree that an under performing Ant Faaingaa is not what we need right now but.

Status
Not open for further replies.