• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You are correct about the plethora of supporting players. This was actually discussed in some depth on the last Rugby 360 or whatever it is called now.

No lazy running for the Keewees, every single player has to go full tilt towards the ball carrier, just in case.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Schatz is longer just neutral, he's a liability now. He loses every collision and this leads to turn overs.
I actually thought the whole back row were great last night, including Schatz. i still dont think hes ever going to be the next Kieran Read or Duane Vermuelen but hes absolutely fine at Super Rugby level and he works his ass of every game. exactly the kind of player i like in the team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds squad for two-week tour of South Africa
Props
Sef Fa’agase
Greg Holmes
Pettowa Paraka
James Slipper (C)
Sam Talakai

Hookers
Saia Fainga’a
Andrew Ready

Locks
Ben Matwijow
Cadeyrn Neville
Rob Simmons
Lukhan Tui (uncapped)

Loose forwards
Curtis Browning
Liam Gill
Jake Schatz
Hendrik Tui

Scrumhalves
Nick Frisby
James Tuttle (uncapped)

Flyhalves
Sam Greene
Jake McIntyre

Centres
Anthony Fainga’a
Samu Kerevi
Duncan Paia’aua

Outside backs
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Ayumu Goromaru
Karmichael Hunt
Junior Laloifi
Eto Nabuli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
St.George Queensland Reds squad for two-week tour of South Africa

Locks
Rob Simmons

Ahhh glad to see that shoulder will be ok. I'm guessing he just got a stinger?

Great game by the backs last night but I'm still not sold on CFS. He'll do a couple of good things but then that lazy attitude rears its head once again. I can forgive him for dropping that ball in the 22, but jesus he really didn't want to clean up that mistake.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah that was just plain odd from Chris. Really odd. I don't know whether it is laziness, complacency, or just a weird little brain fade but things like that seem to happen with him often enough that it looks like a personality trait. I.e. not something that can be coached out of him sadly.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Good to see Paia'aua and Laloifi included, Chris Kuridrani has really fallen out of favour this season. Interesting that they are taking Tuttle ahead of Gale as well..

OTOH it would be a tough call if either Tui or Paiaua had to be called into duty in Africa.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Many years ago Saia played U19s along with Anthony, Josh Holmes and Lachie Turner. That year they won the Championships, but I think that Anthony might have been Captain.

A lot of water under the bridge between Saia and Liam. Michael Hooper/Colby Fainga'a captained the U20s one year (about 2011?) when they ran second to NZ which contained Cane, Barratt, Shields, Anscombe, Tamefuna (I think) and Retallick amongst many others. Best U20s year of them all.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I'd like to see Duncan given a run at 12, I've been pretty impressed with him there in a few games I've seen.

McIntyre was still running sideways when he got the ball on saturday night, I hope they actually give Greene a shot from the beginning of a game soon. It's impossible to come on and make an impact at 10 with a few minutes left and next to no experience at that level. They have to give him a shot.

Shatz was poor again IMO. I know he does the bread and butter ok (hits rucks, wins line outs) but his constant poor carries, general handling and lack of physically constantly put the reds on the back foot. I would have preferred Browning there after half time, there's a bit more power and physicality to him.

Great to see Hunt playing with a bit of confidence. 15 is his best position, I actually think his game nouse and experience will put him ahead of Izzy perhaps pushing him to the wing. I can see Hunt creating space for Izzy's freakish athleticism to run riot.

Also very happy to see Kerevi playing with some intent and smarts. Where did that pace come from? I was wondering how he had lost so much weight and seemingly become slower.

The Mil

Bob McCowan (2)
Greene stuffed up but looked like he was going at twice the speed of McIntyre. Let Greene start and allow him to settle and the Reds will be making line breaks like no tomorrow.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You simply can't do a Greene v McIntyre comparison on that game. Mac had 40 mins when the Clan were rattled and the Reds as a unit were playing better than they have in years. Greene had maybe 20 mins when the Clan were hungry and full of intent and we were stuffed to try and protect a quickly dwindling lead and to try and stem the bleeding.

Any comparison between the two is simply not fair.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would like to see the coaches consistently giving Greene 20 minutes to close out games. McIntyre seems to suffer cramps ever week by then, so it makes sense to bring fresh legs on. For some reason though, the coaching staff seem reluctant to use him.

Status
Not open for further replies.