• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe it was a promise to be in the next 39 man squad at the end of year tour? Gives him a chance to prove himself.

This current Wallabies squad was possibly to just get used to things.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I would certainly like to see Houston play in Super Rugby and see how well he performs before he turns out in a Wallabies jersey. Performing well in England is good, and he may have some good intelligence on the England players but I'd like to see him in a Reds jersey and see how he copes first.

At the Reds I hope that Browning keeps the number 8 jersey since he has been playing really well, as has Tui at 6. Houston may have to be a bench option, or play 6 and put Tui on the bench.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Surely Leroy has been signed as a starter and not a benchie - that would just be a waste of money. Shatz and CB play similar games.

Tui has been very good at 6. Leroy seems to be only an 8. CB has played well since Shatz got injured. We are missing a quality 7. - does CB have the motor and skills (at 7)???. It will be interesting to see what Shatz does at contract negotiation time ?????

Reckon Leroy will be the first choice 8

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Browning has covered 7 for us plenty of times in the past. If my memory serves me well he is not a viable long term option at 7. More of a 'can play there in a pinch' kind of deal.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surely Leroy has been signed as a starter and not a benchie - that would just be a waste of money. Shatz and CB play similar games.

Tui has been very good at 6. Leroy seems to be only an 8. CB has played well since Shatz got injured. We are missing a quality 7. - does CB have the motor and skills (at 7)???. It will be interesting to see what Shatz does at contract negotiation time ?????

Reckon Leroy will be the first choice 8

I don't think anyone get's signed to be a starting player. They have to prove their worth.

And as for it being a waste of money, bench players get paid too. Whether it be Browning, Houston or Michael Gunn

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think anyone get's signed to be a starting player. They have to prove their worth.

And as for it being a waste of money, bench players get paid too. Whether it be Browning, Houston or Michael Gunn

Of course no-one gets signed with a guarantee to be a starter (but coaches pencil in their starting side quite early). Players with reputations have already proved their worth and generally receive contracts according to their "worth" That is just reality.

Houston didn't come back for shit money. Browning, this year, has really proved he is a good Super 15 player. Gunn has not, as yet.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I see Houston and Tui performing similar roles, Schatz something a bit different and Browning something a bit different again. The unknown is Timu and what he will bring. The Reds are sorted regardless at 6/8 (even in the likely event that CB or Schatz leave). We need 7's though, at least one good one and another back up. I'm still keen on my earlier suggestion of Nick Malouf

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Despite what others think on this forum I don't think anyone 'deserves' the jersey. If Houston looks to be a better option than Browning he should get the jersey. End of story. Until someone better comes along. Who knows that could even be Browning or Schatz.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair statement Sully - and really that should always be the way it is in professional sport. I admit, I am split. I'm keen to see Houston do well, but I also like the idea of Browning being reward for his pretty sound form over the last month.

It is nice we have this apparent problem though. It'll be good when we have this problem across multiple positions.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
IMHO, if both Houston & Browning offer similar qualities to N0 8, then I'd like to see Browning get the starter nod, simply because he is a younger player, and can offer Qld/Australia more into the future.
BUT only if there's a hair's breadth between them.

T

Tip

I'd rather see Browning at 6 and Tui on the bench. Drop Shatz.

That way you're prioritizing the development of CB over a Japanese National in Tui (and therefore never likely to be a 100game Red)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
By all means, player development should be a priority but Tui has a lock on the 6 jersey. You don't drop your best in tight metre gainer by far to develop a younger player.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm feeling disappointed for Hunt. Really thought he had a solid chance at 23.

Frisbey is riding a wave of luck around his competition and I completely put my support to him. Take your breaks Bloke.

Chuffed for Holmes. Thought he would get 18, 3 suits him much better.

T

TOCC

I'm feeling disappointed for Hunt. Really thought he had a solid chance at 23.

Frisbey is riding a wave of luck around his competition and I completely put my support to him. Take your breaks Bloke.

I disagree on both, Hunt would have been very lucky to make the squad, whilst he hasn't played 'poorly' he has really only had one or two games where he played well and can't see any player who he should be in the squad ahead of.

Conversely, Frisby has had a number of good games, and the reality is that 2 of the other Australian Super Rugby half-backs aren't eligible for Australia, so he always stood a a good chance of making the final squad.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
By all means, player development should be a priority but Tui has a lock on the 6 jersey. You don't drop your best in tight metre gainer by far to develop a younger player.

I'm not as convinced. Tui's form has decidedly slipped of late. Perhaps this break will reinvigorate him however. In form, he should be in the side.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I see Houston and Tui performing similar roles, Schatz something a bit different and Browning something a bit different again. The unknown is Timu and what he will bring. The Reds are sorted regardless at 6/8 (even in the likely event that CB or Schatz leave). We need 7's though, at least one good one and another back up. I'm still keen on my earlier suggestion of Nick Malouf

We seem to have great cover at 6 and 8. Seven us really the issue with Gilly heading off.

A George Smith would be a nice addition even if he was only a "benchie":)

Reactions: dru

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
We seem to have great cover at 6 and 8. Seven us really the issue with Gilly heading off.

A George Smith would be a nice addition even if he was only a "benchie":)

Prophetic!

Who knew the Reds would have signed George Smith! Nearly shit myself when I saw the headline about him returning to Aus, thought he was coming back to fill in for the Cock, but well done QLD.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom