• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
A while ago there was some contradiction about his scrummaging ability on here. Is there a consensus that he can hold his own at THP? And what about in defence?

I guess a lot comes down to what impact he will have while on the field.

If we lose a couple of scrums because of him but he scores a try or two on a regular basis he might get by.

I think he may be out of position. How quick is he? Is he close to winger speed?

I think hooker may be a good choice

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guess a lot comes down to what impact he will have while on the field.

If we lose a couple of scrums because of him but he scores a try or two on a regular basis he might get by.

I think he may be out of position. How quick is he? Is he close to winger speed?

I think hooker may be a good choice

I think he would be a good fat number 8 like Ita Vaea and Billy Vunipola if he had more height. Is what you see in the videos, a fat Kieran Read who can't jump at the line-out but can make nice off-loads. Unfortunately too short for the position. He will continue to grow, right?

At hooker he should learn new skills like throw the ball at the line-outs and steal the balls at the scrums.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think he would be a good fat number 8 like Ita Vaea and Billy Vunipola if he had more height. Is what you see in the videos, a fat Kieran Read who can't jump at the line-out but can make nice off-loads. Unfortunately too short for the position. He will continue to grow, right?

At hooker he should learn new skills like throw the ball at the line-outs and steal the balls at the scrums.
Why not stay at prop and get someone to teach him the dark arts? I mean he has the frame to play prop so the rest is just about pure strength and teqnicue

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why not stay at prop and get someone to teach him the dark arts? I mean he has the frame to play prop so the rest is just about pure strength and teqnicue

Yeah, he needs a teacher like Mario Ledesma. I worry about the future of Aussie props. At present we have many props who can play around the park but are bads scrummagers.

Many praise the skills of the kid with the ball in hand but Australian rugby doesn't need that. We must focus on the needs of Australian rugby, because in 10 years we will still have the same problems.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah, he needs a teacher like Mario Ledesma. I worry about the future of Aussie props. At present we have many props who can play around the park but are bads scrummagers.

Really? Because right now we probably have the greatest number of strong scrummaging Super Rugby props we've ever had in recent times with Kepu, Robinson, Holmes, Slipper, Sio, PAE, Weeks and Smith amongst the 5 franchises.

This is only increasing with players who scrummaged very well in the NRC like Talaikai, Kite, Pareka and Fa'agaase coming through.

Your comment is such a cliched throwaway line that people like to spout out "Oh nobody cares about scrummaging here" but the evidence strongly suggests otherwise, that teams are working seriously on improving their scrummaging.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
SNIP the evidence strongly suggests otherwise, that teams are working seriously on improving their scrummaging.

And long may it continue.

BTW I know there has been a lot of focus on THP development, but with his shorter stature wouldn't we be better targeting him on the loose side?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thor? He doesn't look that short to me. Normally your more mobile prop is at loose head anyway. I was surprised he was at tight head. But I guess he's pretty bloody strong.

And let's not forget. HE IS STILL 18!!! Fresh out of school. We could have done with him in the Under 20s.

T

Train Without a Station

He has been considered the best LHP in the world at one point of his career. You don't get that being a poor scrummager.

T

Train Without a Station

And? They've also been working with Tolu Latu, Mitch Chapman, Stephen Hoiles, Tala Grey, Sam Lousi, Paddy Ryan, Tilse and Pat McCutcheon and haven't picked any of them either. Generally they seem to have gone for the props from stronger scrums. Robinson was dominant under the old laws but less so under the news laws.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mario Ledesma and Cheika have worked with him the last six months and haven't picked him for TRC

Fatcat was best under the previous rules where he hit, dropped his hand to balance and then drove up and in on the THP.

The rule changes stopped his most potent weapon

at about 57sec

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was always going to be difficult to hold him, Gill and gun at once.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.