• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
All quiet at the QRU. I don't like it, like the child not making a sound because they know they are up to no good. Expect an announcement about RG getting an extension about the time the RWC gets underway so the news can be lost in the excitement.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All quiet at the QRU. I don't like it, like the child not making a sound because they know they are up to no good. Expect an announcement about RG getting an extension about the time the RWC gets underway so the news can be lost in the excitement.

I think I read that Frawley has completed the review, is drafting the report and will report it to the Board next week (I think it is).

T

Train Without a Station

What are we basing this on? Hasn't he played a couple of games on the wing for the Rebels? He's gone to the U20 World Cup because they didn't intend to play him.

T

Train Without a Station

If Alan Greenspan thought there was 'irrational exuberance' over stock prices in the 1990s dot com boom, he should read some of the comments on here about young Australian rugby players who have barely played Super Rugby. Would make 1990s dot com stock investment look restrained.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
His form for the Australian junior side has been pretty insane but I'm not sure that would translate to the sort of value that the Rebels would have offered him.

To be honest I'd have been more annoyed if we lost JJT at the time. He was out all season but he's put his body on the line in the few games he's had in the last year and his step would make 2009-2011 Quade jealous.

Rugger Mate

Allen Oxlade (6)
If Alan Greenspan thought there was 'irrational exuberance' over stock prices in the 1990s dot com boom, he should read some of the comments on here about young Australian rugby players who have barely played Super Rugby. Would make 1990s dot com stock investment look restrained.
If Greenspan ever got to run the Reds. I bet he wouldn't use "irrational exuberance" to sign both hunt and Oconnor . and if you think they have been, and will be a good long term investment for the company/brand/Reds , I think the Reds will be the stock that is restrained.

T

Train Without a Station

Rugger mate, that's likely saying NAB wouldn't have been a bad long term investment because of the GFC.

Both were proven performers. JOC (James O'Connor) at a higher level, test level, and Hunt at similar levels, NRL and Top 14, but also at a similar yet higher level, Origin and International League.

When trying to predict the future with this sort of thing, you can generally only look at the past for precedent and similar occurrences. The best comparison was probably Folau. He was arguably a less talented league player, but more talented athlete. He had shown less of an ability to transition to an unfamiliar code and had zero background in rugby.

Based on what information the Reds had at the time, Hunt seemed like a worthwhile recruit.

By the way, Irrational Exuberance is defined as "Unsustainable investor enthusiasm that drives asset prices up to levels that aren't supported by fundamentals". I.e. Players completely unproven at senior level.

T

TOCC

I don't get why people focus on JOC (James O'Connor) and KHunt and seem to blame their signings as a reason for failure at the Reds..

Would QLD's fortunes have really been any better had Harris, Shipperly and Placid been in the teams? No, it wouldn't have, the failure at the Reds is at a coaching and S&C level. Shipperly was playing poorly under RG's coaching regime in 2014, the move south did him well..

As for Harris, well the hindsight of knowing Quade would be injured for the bulk of the season would change things, but I still don't think Harris has a starting spot In a injury free Reds XV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugger Mate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't get why people focus on JOC (James O'Connor) and KHunt and seem to blame their signings as a reason for failure at the Reds..

Would QLD's fortunes have really been any better had Harris, Shipperly and Placid been in the teams? No, it wouldn't have, the failure at the Reds is at a coaching and S&C level. Shipperly was playing poorly under RG's coaching regime in 2015, the move south did him well..

As for Harris, well the hindsight of knowing Quade would be injured for the bulk of the season would change things, but I still don't think Harris has a starting spot In a injury free Reds XV.

Agreed on all points, look forward the the review findings

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

or an announcement during State of Origin

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)

Would QLD's fortunes have really been any better had Harris, Shipperly and Placid been in the teams? No, it wouldn't have, the failure at the Reds is at a coaching and S&C level. Shipperly was playing poorly under RG's coaching regime in 2014, the move south did him well..

Harris/Lucas probably the most value lost to the Reds - maybe either get a chance at FB with JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing and obviously had experience with that group at 10.

Not getting over the gain line with regularity killed the Reds season, and a shithouse defensive structure.

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
"State of Origin 2015: Maroons winger Will Chambers open to rugby union return"

Here is a player of real talent and potential that I was always disappointed was not persisted with by the Reds post 2011 (when post major shoulder surgery Chambers never returned to his 2010 best).

I'd be pleased to see him back with the Reds.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...gby-union-return/story-fniablkr-1227399209880

My lasting memory of Chambers in Red was dropping a ball over the line 5m from the nearest player against the Force?

He wasn't very good in Premier Grade - defended strongly but no impact with ball in hand... maybe he was acclimatising but good on him for having a crack and going back to what he was good at.

abcde

Peter Burge (5)
I'm having a lot of trouble figuring what your post has to do with the Reds in 2016? Maybe you should move it somewhere else

Apologies! Glitch send from a post I put in on the wallabies thread, it sent at 2am while I was in bed :S sorry

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Chambers is a better player and athlete now than 2011. If you're looking to add another powerful ball running wing/centre to the Reds then sure, give him a ring if he would come relatively cheaply. Not sure he'd add anything above and beyond what the current crop are though.

Status
Not open for further replies.