• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tupou is out for close to 3 months with a Syndesmosis injury.

Interesting news unfolding currently with the Reds reportedly in talks with Ben Mowen possibly a chance to return from his stint in France. Also QRU are looking to extend Hendrick Tui's stay in QLD for at least another season.

Shit - sign dibba dobber

Surely we should be looking at a younger bloke coming through. Shatz has been an OK Super Rugby player and played under 3 coaching regimes.

We don't NEED forwards - we NEED about 6 backs ( from 10-15) and a backs coach

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Schatz has played nearly 80 Super Rugby games. The guy is at his ceiling and that ceiling is not Super Rugby grade.

Probably right - what you see now is as good as he will ever be BUT he has played 80 games - not bad at all in the big scheme.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Shit - sign dibba dobber

Surely we should be looking at a younger bloke coming through. Shatz has been an OK Super Rugby player and played under 3 coaching regimes.

Well they do need forwards, they only have two back rowers signed for next season in Korzyk and Gunn the rest are off contact.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Schatz does his job and he does it well. I don't know why his work rate and lineout work are so often overlooked because of the number on his back. If he was wearing a 4 or 5 people would be evaluating him completely differently.

Sure he doesn't play the typical 8 role but there's not many 8's in Aus that do. If we happen to find this mythical tackle busting, hard running Australian #8 then he'd better be able to do all the stuff that Jake does bloody well as well or we will have a big hole in our pack.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Another good thing about Schatz is he is a genuine lineout option (in fact more than just an option - he's a lineout stalwart) which frees up for someone like Tui at 6.

Perhaps if Tui and Schatz switched jerseys he'd get less flak. Schatz is probably more of a natural 6 and last season he provided good support for Gill at the breakdown.

And Schatz is another player who probably shouldn't be tarred with the RG brush. It would be interesting to see how he plays for another team. I think he compares pretty well to the rest of the sub-Wallaby back rowers in the Rebels, Tahs and Force - guys like Dennis, Fuglistaller, Fainga'a etc.

He's certainly one of the more maligned Reds players in the fanbase and I don't think it's entirely justified. He's kind of the Watto of Reds rugby.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

I'll take a quality player in any position who actually wants to play for the reds. Mowen was arguably our in-form No. 8 when he left and has a bit of leadership and experience.

Right now with so many green players in the team, I can't see why we should say no to Ben all because we have a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none No. 8 in Shatz? Don't forget, Mowen was calling both the Brumbies and Aus lineouts when he was here. So I'm confused at how him playing for us wouldn't be an upgrade?

You look at the forwards and we have a tight five that does the heavy lifting, there's not too many ball players or runners in it and that's fine. But it also means you can have a more mobile back three.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'll take a quality player in any position who actually wants to play for the reds. Mowen was arguably our in-form No. 8 when he left and has a bit of leadership and experience.

Right now with so many green players in the team, I can't see why we should say no to Ben all because we have a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none No. 8 in Shatz? Don't forget, Mowen was calling both the Brumbies and Aus lineouts when he was here. So I'm confused at how him playing for us wouldn't be an upgrade?

You look at the forwards and we have a tight five that does the heavy lifting, there's not too many ball players or runners in it and that's fine. But it also means you can have a more mobile back three.

Well, we have a bloke who calls the Reds and Wallaby lineouts now so that is not necessarily an advantage.

To me he was never a dynamic ball runner or a bloke who brought a heap of mongrel to the field. He was a very good jumper but so is Shatz.

Leadership - well maybe - he had a very close relationship (working) with Jake White. I think he is largely unknown by most Reds lads except maybe Slipper, Simmons and Gilly.

Bloke is coming up to 32 this year, whilst Shatz is about 27.

I am happy to sign every player but he (Mowen) ain't worth a lot to me.

As a priority we need backs and lots of them. If we have some $$$ left then sure, source a great 4 or 5, 6, 7, and 8

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can only imagine Mowen is a fall back signing should we not get approval to keep Tui.

Mowen would be pretty invaluable mentor to both Lolo and Korzcyk though.

You add Mowen and Moore to a pack and the leadership credentials sore exponentially.

Still, as many have said, we need a little direction in the backs. 10/12 in particular.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
but both..yes please. if the forwards could dominate then the backs would have front foot ball during phase play also. not just set piece which isnt really front foot ball...

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
To me he was never a dynamic ball runner or a bloke who brought a heap of mongrel to the field. He was a very good jumper but so is Shatz.

With Tui, we don't necessarily need a dynamic ball runner, but we need an effective one. Mowen would be able to fill that role as Shatz simply doesn't have a running game at all.

Leadership - well maybe - he had a very close relationship (working) with Jake White. I think he is largely unknown by most Reds lads except maybe Slipper, Simmons and Gilly.

Not too sure why that's an issue? But in any event, he's got just over 90 Super Rugby caps. For a team that would be pushing to find players who have more than a seasons worth of caps outside of the leadership group, I don't see how that isn't valued.

Next season, we will be without Holmes and Gill in the forwards. Leaving us Douglas, Simmons and Slipper (outside of Shatz, I've got no idea whether S Finger will be around). That leaves us quite green don't you think?

Bloke is coming up to 32 this year, whilst Shatz is about 27.

Yet we signed the current Wallaby captain for next year who will be 33/34?

As a priority we need backs and lots of them. If we have some $$$ left then sure, source a great 4 or 5, 6, 7, and 8

Agreed, but who's to say this isn't have both options? Theoritically speaking, we should have some cash with Cooper, Genia, Horwill, Holmes, Gill etc all being off the books for 2017. Player wages shouldn't be astronomical due to the number of youth being played.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
i really don't know what we are gonna do without Gilly. last game we saw what he can do in just a half of rugby. Its scary thinking how good our depth at 7 is when i reckon Gilly would be in at least the match day 23 in pretty much every other international team in the world.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
With Tui, we don't necessarily need a dynamic ball runner, but we need an effective one. Mowen would be able to fill that role as Shatz simply doesn't have a running game at all.

Not too sure why that's an issue? But in any event, he's got just over 90 Super Rugby caps. For a team that would be pushing to find players who have more than a seasons worth of caps outside of the leadership group, I don't see how that isn't valued.

Next season, we will be without Holmes and Gill in the forwards. Leaving us Douglas, Simmons and Slipper (outside of Shatz, I've got no idea whether S Finger will be around). That leaves us quite green don't you think?

Yet we signed the current Wallaby captain for next year who will be 33/34?

Agreed, but who's to say this isn't have both options? Theoritically speaking, we should have some cash with Cooper, Genia, Horwill, Holmes, Gill etc all being off the books for 2017. Player wages shouldn't be astronomical due to the number of youth being played.

Personally I think Moore is too old at 34 (Jan next year) to be signed at the Reds.

Sure he has been great in the past but who knows in the future. Age and injuries catch up with everybody. He will be no different.

Would think that Shatz does or would do a lot more work around the field than Mowen. He tends to play tight whereas I think Mowen would, at his age, play far too wide with many less engagements.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd have Moore around for leadership/culture building alone.
No 20yr old "next big thing" would get too big for his boots with Moore and Mowen around.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was critical when Samo and AWH were signed by the Reds but they turned out to be great signings. Experienced guys who are willing to mentor the young guys are invaluable. Happy to have as many as we can pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They're looking for a new head coach too remember Jets. Ensure that resume is up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tupou is out for close to 3 months with a Syndesmosis injury.

Interesting news unfolding currently with the Reds reportedly in talks with Ben Mowen possibly a chance to return from his stint in France. Also QRU are looking to extend Hendrick Tui's stay in QLD for at least another season.

Also, mentioned by Cheika tonight that Mogg and White seem to be keen to return before their contracts expire. Something going on over at Montpellier? Aren't they being promoted next year?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Mogg would be a good addition to the Reds. There seems to be no one in the team with top end pace.

Reactions: gel
Status
Not open for further replies.