• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
MOC hasn't been able to have success with a team developed poorly by someone else as part of the continually failing Reds organisation.

Blackadder hasn't been able to win a title with all of the organisational excellence, resources and talent the Crusaders have.

Who gets the higher mark?

I don't think that is fair to Blackadder. He hasn't had the squad of the past, despite names like Carter and McCaw still being present they have missed large chunks of the last few seasons. He has taken them to the finals in all bar one year in charge up against teams like the Hurricanes, Chiefs and Highlanders who are all better than any other team in the comp. To do consistently well in undoubtedly the toughest conference is a good sign.

They did come 2nd twice in finals away from home and lost semi-finals two years in a row to the Chiefs when they went back to back.

Any Crusaders coach is going to have to fight against the legacy of all those titles. No matter how good the coach is I don't see any team coming close to that period of success again.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd take Blackadder over MOC any day. He made the finals five years in a row - if you have to resort to "he didn't win a single title!" to put a coach down you're clutching at straws. You could say he had the cattle to work with, but so do the Reds. Maybe not Crusaders quality but when you look at the lineup they should be doing better than they are.

And McIntyre did fine in the NRC. He did have players around him who outclassed their opposition numbers and no doubt made him look better, but he was fine. Either he was coached better in the NRC, or more likely it's just that he's a good player at that level but just not ready for Super level.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Greenelikewise did very well at the NRC. I'm also liking what we saw last week from DP.

The Australian article quoted earlier suggested a decission to be announced a fortnight after the last round. It isnt long.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
I'd take Blackadder over MOC any day. He made the finals five years in a row - if you have to resort to "he didn't win a single title!" to put a coach down you're clutching at straws. You could say he had the cattle to work with, but so do the Reds. Maybe not Crusaders quality but when you look at the lineup they should be doing better than they are.

And McIntyre did fine in the NRC. He did have players around him who outclassed their opposition numbers and no doubt made him look better, but he was fine. Either he was coached better in the NRC, or more likely it's just that he's a good player at that level but just not ready for Super level.

Simon, I want you to watch a Brisbane City side this year with no Liam Gill and Frisby & Kerevi on Wallaby duties and see McIntyre at 'NRC' level. The game plan was structured around him to actually do very little and he didn't need to. Won 2 NRC titles, a great accomplishment, but let's be real here, any and I mean ANY club level 10 would've done the same in that City team.

Blackadder would also be my pick.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
So assuming guys like Talakai have or will re-sign, the vacancies in the squad for 2017 are:

Outside back(x2), scrum half, fly-half, tight head prop and inside centre.

Reds have been linked to a few different league outside backs and tried to recruit Maddocks from the U20's. Unsure of the contract status of Kuridrani, Laloifi and CFS for 2017, but there should be a few opportunities for outside backs.

Anyone in the QPR worth a shot?

Which scrumhalf are we losing? Frisby, Tuttle, Gale? Can't see them bringing in someone for them considering we have Nucifora and Sorovi in the wings.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Simon, I want you to watch a Brisbane City side this year with no Liam Gill and Frisby & Kerevi on Wallaby duties and see McIntyre at 'NRC' level. The game plan was structured around him to actually do very little and he didn't need to. Won 2 NRC titles, a great accomplishment, but let's be real here, any and I mean ANY club level 10 would've done the same in that City team.

Blackadder would also be my pick.

Oh don't worry, I intend to watch!

I agree with you to an extent, but I do recall McIntyre making several good line breaks and individual runs in the games I saw at Ballymore. It will be interesting to see how he goes anyway.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Whether he does or has done well at NRC level is irrelevant to me.

He has clearly shown he is nowhere near Super rugby level, irrespective of the dozen or so starts.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't think anybody is disputing that.

Duncan P. looks likely to start at 10 this week. Since we're likely to get thrashed anyway this is great news. I think he has more development potential.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Greenelikewise did very well at the NRC. I'm also liking what we saw last week from DP.

The Australian article quoted earlier suggested a decission to be announced a fortnight after the last round. It isnt long.

Quade should have made up his mind by then as to whom he prefers as HC from the possibles

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Quade should have made up his mind by then as to whom he prefers as HC from the possibles

Which is clearly ludicrous. QC (Quade Cooper) doesnt choose, the assembled committee does. Which is a little different from a KPI around the ability of the proposed HC to attract top line players. Its a scenario which has become necessary due to players like Gill departing presumed because of RG.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What do we think about Rob Clarke and Ben Whittaker from the ARU being on the selection committee for both Reds and Force?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
What do we think about Rob Clarke and Ben Whittaker from the ARU being on the selection committee for both Reds and Force?

I think it means they get good exposure to the candidates and therefore there should be some consistency in their selection process. Hopefully that is a good consistency for both teams. I think that the ARU needs to have more involvement in the coaching gigs for Australian teams, not only to help develop their coaches but also to avoid the danger of candidates who are too close to the selection panel. Maybe they should go left field and invite some NZRU people to be on their selection panels to give their view. After all, the NZRU work with World Rugby to supply NZ coaches for developing nations to boost the playing skills and also to help the NZ coaches get more development.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Concerned it was reported that after the interivews, MOC was touted as the leader because 'his plan was more clear" and they were interested in "developing Australian coaches"......wow sounds familiar, good thing we had 2 exhaustive world wide searches..... Let's hope the same mistakes aren't made

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck - "plans" are piss easy to formulate.

The key is implementation.

MOC has shown nothing to inspire anybody, his "plan" for the backs this year has been great, the implementing a dismal failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.