• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Good point re: SA. In fact SA 10s are probably better suited to the current, stolid Reds style. In addition they tend to be quality goalkickers which is another area the Reds have been struggling in.

My understanding listening to Saffer fans, is that at schools and u20 the SA game is quite expressive. Its beaten out of them at Soup level where risk free has been the go. But have another look at, say, the Lions, Bulls, Cheetahs - there is a move to free-er flowing rugby in the RSA.

There is also a rand-$Aus advantage.

I'm hoping we dont need a back up plan though. Quade, come home.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Maybe I've missed something that's been mentioned earlier, but is there any sort of timetable for this shortened, shorter, short-list for the HC?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
An article in the Australian (mentioned a little earlier in the thread) suggested a fortnight after the last round of the season. If we are of any chance of Blackadder, and the Crusaders continue on their finals campaign, I'd imagine it might take a little longer.

Any of the others could be announced quickly you would think. Given that the Reds will have to announce NRC coaches, and that may or may not involve MOC and Stiles, then the announcement can't linger for too long.

T

TOCC

It may not be a case of the Reds assistant coaches being the NRC coaches in 2016, Jason Gilmore coached QLD Country in 2015, Brad Thorn or Paul Carozza could be candidates for the Brisbane City role.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Can't believe people are saying Quade might go to the Rebels - pffft.
Spoke to an immediate family member of a Reds player and he confirmed that Quade is going to the Reds (aka "coming home"). On the point above about Ready and Moore - when the Reds were negotiating with Moore, Ready wasn't killing it week in week out at that time. Who knows what they would do if they could go back knowing how far Ready has come along?
Oh yeah - and I have a very strong feeling that Sam Greene could come back to haunt the Reds one day - and even potentially the Wallabies

stay tuned

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
It may not be a case of the Reds assistant coaches being the NRC coaches in 2016, Jason Gilmore coached QLD Country in 2015, Brad Thorn or Paul Carozza could be candidates for the Brisbane City role.

Can confirm that a source from within the Reds said that Brad Thorn would be playing in the NRC this year. It's a different question as to whether that ambition has changed since I was told this (2 months ago) - but no doubt Thorn was going ahead with this at one stage.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Ready has been playing very well, but Moore is of another calibre, if for no other reason then the mountain of experience that he possesses.

This is clearly true.

However, I can't ever really remember Moore putting all that experience to too much good. He is at his best a better player than what Ready has achieved as of yet but I could not count the times Moore has made poor judgements at the helm of the Wallabies. Add in the random brain snaps where he goes full orc on opposition players and I really can't vouch for him when it comes to parachuting him into the starting side.

We have experience in spades next year and the insane rookie enthusiasm that Ready brings makes me think that the balance of the team would be better off with the young buck.

T

TOCC

There is experience in a few key positions, buts its very possible that Korczyk, Gunn and Tupou could be starting in the first few rounds next years, 3 players with barely 10caps between them.

Also, if Taniela Tupou is going to be starting THP, or even reserve THP, then packing alongside Moore in the first 60mins or Ready in the last 20mins are better options then whoever else is available.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Apart from the fact that no one from the Reds has actually said that Moore will be starting Hooker next season (everyone has just assumed it will be the case), I'm not sure why anyone would find that even remotely surprising.

Take your allegiances to Ready and the Reds out of it and tell me in what other team would the current Test Captain not start ahead of the up and comer in basically his rookie season?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Quality players that deserve to start getting relegated to the bench is what makes teams really good.

If Ready is nipping at Moore's heels, it probably means Moore plays 50 minutes rather than 65+ and can go harder in that time. It also means that if his form drops you don't need to persist with him.

I doubt Ready would be crazy enough to go looking for other options because if he wants to play for the Wallabies soon he should back himself to surpass a 33 year old (and certainly before RWC 2019).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I kust jope Ready doesn't get the shits. Moore to me, despite some advantages of experience, is on the wane. One year at best and reckon his play will be lower than Ready (if not already)

Reday is the up and comer.

I personally would not have signed Moore as he is not the future and offers little above Hanson who was let walk down south.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sorry to see Moore go to the Reds, but to be honest there is daylight between him and Hanson. I would certainly rate Hanson below Ready as well as Moore and TPN.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I personally would not have signed Moore as he is not the future and offers little above Hanson who was let walk down south.

You could also argue that the Reds need more experienced heads, particularly as they are losing Greg Holmes, Liam Gill, Saia Fainga'a and Ant Fainga'a.

If Moore only has one really strong year left in him before Ready surpasses him, is that a bad thing for the Reds?

T

TOCC

Ready is signed until 2018, if he continues his current trajectory of improving he will eventually surpass an ageing Moore and take over the starting role.

Moore is signed until 2019, i wouldn't be surprised to see him miss part of the 2018 season in the style of Carter/McCaw in 2013. I don't think Ready will have a shortage of game time over the next 2 years.

Its funny to remember back to the uproar over Hanson signing with the Rebels, if he hadn't moved south when we wouldn't be having this discussion about Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.