• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ready is signed until 2018, if he continues his current trajectory of improving he will eventually surpass an ageing Moore and take over the starting role.

Moore is signed until 2019, i wouldn't be surprised to see him miss part of the 2018 season in the style of Carter/McCaw in 2013. I don't think Ready will have a shortage of game time over the next 2 years.

Its funny to remember back to the uproar over Hanson signing with the Rebels, if he hadn't moved south when we wouldn't be having this discussion about Ready.
Moore is awesome, but even at the Brumbies this year he get's pulled 50 -60 mins in. Ready will get game time, and will learn alot from one of the best hookers in the world... to be honest it's a win win for the Red's.. and better for Australian rugby then him teaching Bongo (mann-rea)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So, dont know if this should go here, but where is Cummins playing next year, heard the Reds where the front runners ?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I know the Ready family a bit. I can say with confidence that at the current time he isn't stressed about Moore's arrival. His general attitude is that he believes he'll learn some stuff and that he probably won't lack for game time anyway because Moore is getting on.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I was thinking about "if not Quade then who?" and had a brain-fart.

Is there anyone from the 7's world who might be converted to a playmaking 10? (A true play making 10, not a Foley.) I know jack about 7's, tbh it does nothing for me, but it seems that speed, agility, sleight of hand, and a super passing game might be found in that world.

T

TOCC

I would argue that the Reds were too loyal to the 2011 team in the years following the championship.. Difficult decisions needed to be made and they weren't.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

Is there anyone from the 7's world who might be converted to a playmaking 10? (A true play making 10, not a Foley.) I know jack about 7's, tbh it does nothing for me, but it seems that speed, agility, sleight of hand, and a super passing game might be found in that world.

I dont know much about 7's but would love Henry Hutchinson to be a Red in the future.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
That makes me sad Sully. I don't care who the players are we are no chance next year with this type of game plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait! There was a game plan? Really?

I feel for the players.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

You would think so,given they treated QC (Quade Cooper) like a leper,but no.
Holland is the closest,but I can't see him succeeding at 10 in 15's.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Well, if a second "world-wide" search deems either of the clowns in charge suitable (despite less than 12 months ago unsuitable) surely Herbert and the board are just as dodgy as the previous incarnations.

It's no secret that while I think he is a great scrum coach, I don't rate Stiles and his record is truly terrible at all levels with the exception of NRC. His apologists suggest that record is great, while others suggest the insanely stacked Brisbane City roster is the reason for their suggest.

Surely, we aren't to believe that Stiles can mould a part-time amateur team with a high player turnover and only a couple of weeks to prepare with only a few sessions per week into a championship team, but can't do anything at all with a full-time squad and months to prepare.

The Reds have not improved one iota this year. While RG going was a win, the on field play is as poor as ever.

The Reds finish in the bottom four, and as I've mentioned previously, only 7.5% of Super Rugby coaches who perform that badly in their first year ever make the finals.

Burn it down, start again.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well, if a second "world-wide" search deems either of the clowns in charge suitable (despite less than 12 months ago unsuitable) surely Herbert and the board are just as dodgy as the previous incarnations.

It's no secret that while I think he is a great scrum coach, I don't rate Stiles and his record is truly terrible at all levels with the exception of NRC. His apologists suggest that record is great, while others suggest the insanely stacked Brisbane City roster is the reason for their suggest.

Surely, we aren't to believe that Stiles can mould a part-time amateur team with a high player turnover and only a couple of weeks to prepare with only a few sessions per week into a championship team, but can't do anything at all with a full-time squad and months to prepare.

The Reds have not improved one iota this year. While RG going was a win, the on field play is as poor as ever.

The Reds finish in the bottom four, and as I've mentioned previously, only 7.5% of Super Rugby coaches who perform that badly in their first year ever make the finals.

Burn it down, start again.
Sam Cordingley is the bloke who must tell his story walking. He'll be a great asset to someone eventually, bit it's not not the right Reds now.

And after the last 2 seasons, he knows it himself. Sad times.

Reactions: Tip
T

Tip

Tonight makes me want Blackadder.

+1000, we need NZ benchmarks in all facets of our play. This goes beyond the Reds too.

Sam Cordingley is the bloke who must tell his story walking. He'll be a great asset to someone eventually, bit it's not not the right Reds now.

And after the last 2 seasons, he knows it himself. Sad times.

It seems like he came in and tried to put his "mark" on the Reds. The mid tier players left in droves (Lucas, Lance, Harris) and we're left with zero Super experience in key positions. Now we're running around like headless chooks.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My concern with Blackadder is what do the Reds actually offer a bloke like that? Even if the place was running strongly? It's hard not to come to the conclusion that he is interested in Europe, Reds might be a stepping stone there but more likely an interruption.

Watching Toupu I see a bloke with a possible potential to be world class. Ask the question, in among the possible Reds coaching teams, who might be capable of success in guiding this journey. First things first, my thanks to RG for how he introduced the young bloke. Job well done. From here which coaches?

No: MOC, Blackadder (not likely to be here long enough), Mulivihill (happy to be corrected, Meyer
Dont know: Thorne (needs the chance to prove himself), Lancaster, Taylor.
Yes: it's a short list, Stiles.

So Thorne is locked in, Stiles needs to be. And keep him developing as the presumed HC of the future.

Next Question. Who is capable of building the game plan, right now, who is capable od developing a positive way forward?

No: Stiles (sorry buddy, keep working on it),
Maybe: most of them, only because I dont know enough about them. But a notable maybe to Taylor.
Half yes: MOC (apparantly, for the path forward, not for the game plan right now. Lancaster, I think, except it is unknown how he would translate into a Reds culture and fan demands for entertaining rugby.

I realise this is entirely skewed by my first question being about Toupu.

Then who is capable of attracting top flight talent?
No: MOC, Mulvihill
Maybe: Stiles - local top talent, but not international. Taylor. Lancaster
Yes: Blackadder, but is he actually available?

I'd love to know how the selection committee is thinking. My short list is Lancaster and Taylor. With a red pen underline to Stiles and a note in the margin "retain this bloke"

Status
Not open for further replies.