• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Interesting follow up on the George Smith "issue". Apparently he was detained for 18 days before being released without charge / indictment. Don't mess with the Law in Japan!

T

TOCC

As for Toua, maybe he isn’t a ‘good player’ but he is a better fullback candidate then Maranta and Ngamanu.Therefor it’s an improvement in my opinion. Ideally the Brumbies will just release Banks ;)

Interesting follow up on the George Smith "issue". Apparently he was detained for 18 days before being released without charge / indictment. Don't mess with the Law in Japan!

That’s rather incredible, people do less time for being found of violent crimes in Australia. Also quite amazing that it took almost 3 weeks for the media to find it that he had been detained. Even if it is Japan.

George Smiths back in QLD next week, maybe Karmichael should be asking him for legal advice:

"He's been released without any formal charge, without an indictment.
"There's no record of any criminal prosecution. He's not guilty of any crime."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ys-in-tokyo-after-arrest-20180124-h0nik8.html

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought they were talking about Higgers captaining at the Tens, not the season.
And Toua is not a good pick up. He was a dumb player when he left. He was a dumb player at the Brumbies. If he hasn't smartened up by now it's not going to happen.

ok let's stick with maranta

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Queensland Reds squad for the Brisbane Tens

FORWARDS

James Slipper (Bond University)

Taniela Tupou (Brothers)

Sef Fa’agase (University of Queensland)

JP Smith (GPS)

Brandon Paenga-Amosa

Andrew Ready (Easts)

Angus Blyth (Bond University)

Harry Hockings (University of Queensland)

Kane Douglas (Norths)

Angus Scott-Young (University of Queensland)

Michael Gunn (Easts)

Liam Wright (Easts)

Tai Ford (Bond University)

Reece Hewat (Norths)

BACKS

James Tuttle (GPS)

Moses Sorovi (University of Queensland)

Tate McDermott (University of Queensland)

Hamish Stewart (Bond University)

Nick Jooste (Norths)

Teti Tela (Souths)

Tony Hunt (Norths)

Samu Kerevi (C) (Souths)

Filipo Daugunu (Wests)

Jayden Ngamanu (Souths)

Izaia Perese (Easts)

Lachlan Maranta (Wests)

T

TOCC

I thought Teti Tela was just named in the Fijian 10’s squad for Brisbane. Possibly just the same name?

Besides that no real surprises, that list confirms the previously rumoured inclusion of Tai Ford(Bond Uni 7) and Tony Hunt(U20s centre) in the WTS/EPS squad.

T

TOCC

Daigani (spelling) has more upside than both. You guys have written the season Off already so give him a run.

I don’t know why you use a collective, I haven’t written this season off.

Daugunu at 15 might work even if he hasn’t really played there, but I’m wary of how the form of a fleet footed outside back transfers from NRC to Super Rugby. Junior Laloifi looked pretty dam good a couple of years back as well. At this stage of the year, the more options the better, Toua included.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Daigani (spelling) has more upside than both. You guys have written the season Off already so give him a run.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I havn't written him or the Reds off, I just think we are better off having Toua then not. That young fijian man has played 1 short season of semi-pro rugby as a wing, so I'm not in a rush to jump on a podium and announce him as our backfield saviour. I think we will see Toua, Lucas and Lance all be FB before him.

T

TOCC

Queensland Reds squad for the Brisbane Tens

FORWARDS

James Slipper (Bond University)

Taniela Tupou (Brothers)

Sef Fa’agase (University of Queensland)

JP Smith (GPS)

Brandon Paenga-Amosa

Andrew Ready (Easts)

Angus Blyth (Bond University)

Harry Hockings (University of Queensland)

Kane Douglas (Norths)

Angus Scott-Young (University of Queensland)

Michael Gunn (Easts)

Liam Wright (Easts)

Tai Ford (Bond University)

Reece Hewat (Norths)

BACKS

James Tuttle (GPS)

Moses Sorovi (University of Queensland)

Tate McDermott (University of Queensland)

Hamish Stewart (Bond University)

Nick Jooste (Norths)

Teti Tela (Souths)

Tony Hunt (Norths)

Samu Kerevi (C) (Souths)

Filipo Daugunu (Wests)

Jayden Ngamanu (Souths)

Izaia Perese (Easts)

Lachlan Maranta (Wests)

Pretty hard to pick a balanced 10, but my best starting 10 would be:

1. Slipper
2. Ready
3. Tupou
4. Douglas
5. Ford/Wright
6. Tuttle
7. Stewart
8. Kerevi
9. Daugunu
10. Perese

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I havn't written him or the Reds off, I just think we are better off having Toua then not. That young fijian man has played 1 short season of semi-pro rugby as a wing, so I'm not in a rush to jump on a podium and announce him as our backfield saviour. I think we will see Toua, Lucas and Lance all be FB before him.

From the perspective of Australia / the Wallabies I 100% agree with you, purely from the perspective of the Reds Daugunu is a much better option. While I agree Daugunu has only had very limited success and he is still largely unknown but we have hardly seen any limitations. I think he looks like he's going to have the ability to play fullback but at this point it's completely unknown. Toua is a really nice contrast to Daugunu, we know exactly what he is like, we know his strengths and his weaknesses. Given that I'd rather test Daugunu at Fullback (perhaps being moved to fullback when a sub is brought in) than starting Toua who is quite average but very well known as ot what he can do. Further I'd council against expecting too much from Lucas, he's not the player who left those years ago.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pretty hard to pick a balanced 10, but my best starting 10 would be:

1. Slipper
2. Ready
3. Tupou
4. Douglas
5. Ford/Wright
6. Tuttle
7. Stewart
8. Kerevi
9. Daugunu
10. Perese

I reckon you're pretty well right, thoughI reckon we might see Scott-Young instead of Douglas. I just don't see Douglas having the speed around the park.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to Higgers.

Believe Slipper could have kept captaincy but wants to concentrate on his own game without the rigors of captaincy.

Higgers was the only viable alternative and I reckon the added responsibility will be great for him and the team. Am sure Slips will have a large impact on the field in a leadership role.

Anyway, another step forward IMO. The loss of Hunt & Quade are more than adequately compensated by the signing of Lance, Lucas and Toua.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Congrats to Higgers.

Believe Slipper could have kept captaincy but wants to concentrate on his own game without the rigors of captaincy.

Higgers was the only viable alternative and I reckon the added responsibility will be great for him and the team. Am sure Slips will have a large impact on the field in a leadership role.

Anyway, another step forward IMO. The loss of Hunt & Quade are more than adequately compensated by the signing of Lance, Lucas and Toua.

Ditto on Slipper and Higgers. On the rest? Compensated yes, but not more than adequately.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think Lucas, Lance and Toua are better then Quade and Hunt. The best would have been to have them all together, with rebelesque depth :) Tell em he's dreamin

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
This has probably crossed everyone's mind but imagine if we have an injury crisis at 10 and Thorn has to call up Quade?

Only every night! Twice on weekends. Although for game plan reasons I'd much rather Quade play 15 and step into the 15 role. Although, from watching / reading the recent interview with Kerevi it sounds like Stewart is almost undoubtedly the starting 10 and the Reds will be playing almost exclusively a defencive game with tactical kicking being the biggest weapon of attack. I think it will help them overachieve compared to the outright talent in the squad. I wonder who the weakest defender in the starting 15 is? It's possible it's actually Kerevi (at least of the backs), that's a really nice problem to have!

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Watched the Reds train last night, Full training as a squad for 1.5 hrs plenty of solid work done. Inter Squad game at full pace low tackle intensity tackle was interesting. Was impressed by Tate McDermott at 9 very quick and busy around field and Johno Lance dominated as a 10 leading on field. Very much a happy squad. Young and developing, felt like preseason 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.