• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Only every night! Twice on weekends. Although for game plan reasons I'd much rather Quade play 15 and step into the 15 role. Although, from watching / reading the recent interview with Kerevi it sounds like Stewart is almost undoubtedly the starting 10 and the Reds will be playing almost exclusively a defencive game with tactical kicking being the biggest weapon of attack. I think it will help them overachieve compared to the outright talent in the squad. I wonder who the weakest defender in the starting 15 is? It's possible it's actually Kerevi (at least of the backs), that's a really nice problem to have!

Paia’aua isn’t a great defender, he has technical flaws in his tackling technique. Likewise with Nabuli. Paia’aua leads with his shoulder which saw him yellow carded a few times In the NRC. And as we saw with Nabuli, he has a bad habit of making contact high, and since he is a massive unit its often near the head. I think he received a couple of yellow cards last season for that as well.

Perese likes to go for the big hit occasionally as well, shoots out of the defensive line to take the man with the ball, but it can open gaps if he misses.

From what I saw of Stewart in the NRC, he has a very good tackling technique and attitude towards tackling. Goes low and puts his back into it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Starting with defence makes complete sense with a young team. There is plenty of attack in the team and I'm sure we'll see it as the year goes on.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Starting with defence makes complete sense with a young team. There is plenty of attack in the team and I'm sure we'll see it as the year goes on.

Yeah, Country seemed to score a fuck load of tries for a team with a defence first approach. You got to win the ball to be able to play with it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah, Country seemed to score a fuck load of tries for a team with a defence first approach. You got to win the ball to be able to play with it.

Yep, I reckon a good defence is the cornerstone of any successful team. Apart from anything else, a good defence puts the opposition on the back foot, forces them to do things that they might not usually do, make mistakes, and generally stuff things up for themselves, thus making it easier to score against them.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
And, something the Reds have forgotten about for about five years

Reactions: TSR

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep, I reckon a good defence is the cornerstone of any successful team. Apart from anything else, a good defence puts the opposition on the back foot, forces them to do things that they might not usually do, make mistakes, and generally stuff things up for themselves, thus making it easier to score against them.
Couldn't agree more. How many all blacks tries are scored off the back of great defenc which sets up a mistake followed by one phase counter attack. They don't do complex backline moves.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Couldn't agree more. How many all blacks tries are scored off the back of great defenc which sets up a mistake followed by one phase counter attack. They don't do complex backline moves.

Sounds like BT comes from the Coach Carter school of thought.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Based on drills seen I think we may see the Reds In defence increase the rate of tacklers working on holding up the ball player and ganging up on them with 3 defenders rather than getting them to ground for scavengers. Slows next phase attack and forces loose passes for counter attack. Did not watch a lot of country games but was this style used?

T

TOCC

70% of the Reds defensive problems in 2016-2017 was attitude, the remaining 30% was poor technique.

Arbitrary figures I know, but the Hurricanes conceded almost as many line breaks in 2017, the difference was that the Hurricanes players scrambled back once those tackles had being missed, the Reds players rarely did. Too often they would just give up.

One reason I’m not too disappointed to see Frisby leave is that he was one who would give up once a line break had being conceded. Would turn and jog back making no effort to actually chase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)
Is Nick Jooste a genuine chance of getting game time this year with the Reds? At the Oceania u20's in 2016, he performed quite well at 12 against Jordie Barrett and I see is in the Tens squad.

He was always pushed as a 10 with 15 cover, but maybe the Brumbies didn't see him come along enough at 10 to let him go?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Getty Images always a good source to see who's in the training squads of these teams:

https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/queensland-reds?alloweduse=availableforalluses&excludenudity=true&family=editorial&license=rf&phrase=queensland reds&sort=best#license

Salesi Manu, Teti Tela, Gavin Luka, Nick Jooste, Jayden Ngamanu, Harry Hoopert, Tony Hunt, Efi Ma'afu. All there.

Most of whom have been IDed by others on this thread I guess.

notable absences in Cooper, Hunt and Frisby in that photo lineup

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And, something the Reds have forgotten about for about five years

Exactly. There had been plenty of talent at the Reds over the last 5 yrs, but there has also been a distinct lack of discipline, structure and application. Why have these problems persisted unabated - I don’t know. But it has consistently cost us games.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Queensland Reds squad for the Brisbane Tens

FORWARDS

James Slipper (Bond University)

Taniela Tupou (Brothers)

Sef Fa’agase (University of Queensland)

JP Smith (GPS)

Brandon Paenga-Amosa

Andrew Ready (Easts)

Angus Blyth (Bond University)

Harry Hockings (University of Queensland)

Kane Douglas (Norths)

Angus Scott-Young (University of Queensland)

Michael Gunn (Easts)

Liam Wright (Easts)

Tai Ford (Bond University)

Reece Hewat (Norths)

BACKS

James Tuttle (GPS)

Moses Sorovi (University of Queensland)

Tate McDermott (University of Queensland)

Hamish Stewart (Bond University)

Nick Jooste (Norths)

Teti Tela (Souths)

Tony Hunt (Norths)

Samu Kerevi (C) (Souths)

Filipo Daugunu (Wests)

Jayden Ngamanu (Souths)

Izaia Perese (Easts)

Lachlan Maranta (Wests)
Has nick jooste got an eps contract with the reds? As noting his inclusion in 10’s squad.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
CFS is another one who gave up in defence. Annoyed the hell out of me. Even when he had a chance to force the opposition to ground the ball on the sideline, he'd give up and let them put it under the posts, while some lumbering forward was busting a gut to get there from halfway.

That comes down to individual attitude and morale IMO. A player whose heart isn't in it won't put in that extra effort. Frisby was one of the Reds' best players for his first season, but started to mentally check out and by the time Stiles took over he seemed to be there in body only. Stiles' actions and public comments make that pretty clear too.

Now that CFS is back, with Thorn coaching and after a long break from Reds games due to injury, I hope he picks up his attitude. He's got a lot more to offer than he has shown IMO.

T

TOCC

Now that CFS is back, with Thorn coaching and after a long break from Reds games due to injury, I hope he picks up his attitude. He's got a lot more to offer than he has shown IMO.

He had an a fairly injury disrupted 2016 season and was returning from from a severe ACL injury in 2017. But he is looking as fit as I’ve ever seen him at the moment. His involvement rate in the 2017 NRC was significantly better. I still don’t think we’ve seen the best of CFS, have him a few months injury free and we may. If he doesn’t improve this season the Reds must cut their losses

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Exactly. There had been plenty of talent at the Reds over the last 5 yrs, but there has also been a distinct lack of discipline, structure and application. Why have these problems persisted unabated - I don’t know. But it has consistently cost us games.

A lot of that came down to one thing - COACHES. We had F------g Richard Graham for 3 years (the last year being an absolute joke with Slaughter to blame. Then came the interim Co-Coaches - Stiles and MOC. Then came Stiles on his own. The rot was really in by this stage and he (and the team) was doomed to failure. At least with big Brad there is a large element of player respect as well as being prepared to make unpopular decisions (at least with quite a few posters on here) to "sack" Frisby and Cooper (and the prop), which arguably will increase the "culture" around the club. From what I'm hearing the boys are totally engaged with Brad and each other. I think we will do better than many of the pessimistic punters on GAGR think.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m confident that Quade would have led the positive attitude from the front. But fuck yeah, if you need a very public huge sacrificial lamb, then job done. Brad has a lot agin him, blokes like me are not even minor issues on that list. Good to see the attitude. Wish the boys the best. Even Brad.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
We'll see the best of CFS in super rugby when one of the teams trots out rookies and semi-pros against the reds.

He's so lucky the QRU are dysfunctional.

Status
Not open for further replies.