• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Shame we don't have development teams like NZ so that these kids can develop & have more game time. you cant play professional rugby using kids.. 2nd half was a prime example.
Super Rugby is about winning not development. Thorn if anybody should realise that. he was 36 in 2011 winning world cup team, McCaw 30, DC 29.. average age 27.5. its call the experience formula..
NZ under 20s this year have only 3 that couldn't make the team due to Super Rugby commitments.

What do you mean by development teams?

What purpose does the NRC serve then.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Was anyone else really disappointed in the Smith boys against the Brumbies? Maybe worth a look at that young prop we have kicking around (if only to stick the boot up the backside of the Smith lads)?

Wasn't everyone singing their praises before the tour and even in Argentina? I haven't had a chance to catch Saturday's game, but even if one or both had an off game, I think you're being too critical.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
What do you mean by development teams?

What purpose does the NRC serve then.

Sure NRC may help but at age 18/20 and having 9 games of senior rugby before playing Super Rugby doesn't work,
having under developed kids sitting on the beach at Super Rugby games is a joke.

NZ teams/clubs have development sides all under 19-21 normally playing curtain raiser to some Super Rugby games,
Some have played Mitre 10 or Heartland cup, young guys developing & playing at the same time as Super Rugby waiting to be the next Super Rugby players, not handed to them because they "look" promising or finished a distant 5th at the under 20's world cup.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Wasn't everyone singing their praises before the tour and even in Argentina? I haven't had a chance to catch Saturday's game, but even if one or both had an off game, I think you're being too critical.

Yeah, they probably just had a bad game, but I think the real issue is if/when they have to play for more than 20ish minutes they really struggle, also they aren't as handy around the part as we'd like. But they scrummage very well!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Not sure if it’s been discussed or not but I’m still fuming at Toua’s complete lack of effort, no that’s not the right word, complete lack of interest, in making any sort of tackle attempt on Arnold when he strolled over for his try on the weekend.

Ok so fuming is probably an exaggeration but man it pissed me off. I know he was long odds to stop the try but fuck me, he didn’t even try. Start Stewart or Paia-aua at 15 this week and the other on the bench. That sort of stuff is just not good enough in my book. Toua can have a week off.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure if it’s been discussed or not but I’m still fuming at Toua’s complete lack of effort, no that’s not the right word, complete lack of interest, in making any sort of tackle attempt on Arnold when he strolled over for his try on the weekend.

Ok so fuming is probably an exaggeration but man it pissed me off. I know he was long odds to stop the try but fuck me, he didn’t even try. Start Stewart or Paia-aua at 15 this week and the other on the bench. That sort of stuff is just not good enough in my book. Toua can have a week off.

Don't forget Lance also stood their and looked too...

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Nope. Lance was in the D line but further out (wing maybe?), turned and chased once the break had been made. He caught, tackled and brought down Arnold on the 5m line but momentum got him over. Toua on the other hand was in a traditional sweeping fullback role and slowly tracked across. Once the break was made he continued his slow jog and even seemed to slow down as Arnold approached the line. No urgency whatsoever.

I just watched it again to confirm what I had remembered and I’m fuming again!

EDIT: Toua and Daugunu would be close to being the two fastest guys on the pitch and they couldn’t chase down a lock over 30m. Daugunu has to turn and chase and got a hand on him but that was it. Lance covered more ground and made a tackle. Seriously watch it again. Arnold gets to about the 10m line and Toua’s jog up until that point slows down even more as he watches Arnold score. Criminal for a fullback.

Reactions: dru

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Nope. Lance was in the D line but further out (wing maybe?), turned and chased once the break had been made. He caught, tackled and brought down Arnold on the 5m line but momentum got him over. Toua on the other hand was in a traditional sweeping fullback role and slowly tracked across. Once the break was made he continued his slow jog and even seemed to slow down as Arnold approached the line. No urgency whatsoever.

EDIT: Toua and Daugunu would be close to being the two fastest guys on the pitch and they couldn’t chase down a lock over 30m. Daugunu has to turn and chase and got a hand on him but that was it. Lance covered more ground and made a tackle. Seriously watch it again. Arnold gets to about the 10m line and Toua’s jog up until that point slows down even more as he watches Arnold score. Criminal for a fullback.

Yep. Looked like toua forgot which team he was playing for and ran a lazy deep support line for arnold

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

Sorry might have been Daugunu I was thinking of.
Like I've been saying from the start, Toua should be playing at 11/14 and Lance at 15, with Stewart/Paia'aua at 10.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
but how many tackles did he make??? ;)

Yes, I'd say that is pertinent - no evidence of change there. Stays high looking to interfere if necessary while putting plenty of effort in moving on to a wide position. It works the forwards harder. Personally I don't mind this in your key playmaker who I would protect. (This goes for Foley/Beale etc as well.) But it clearly is not what Thorn is looking for and it only fits with Cheika if the player is favoured.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yes, I'd say that is pertinent - no evidence of change there. Stays high looking to interfere if necessary while putting plenty of effort in moving on to a wide position. It works the forwards harder. Personally I don't mind this in your key playmaker who I would protect. (This goes for Foley/Beale etc as well.) But it clearly is not what Thorn is looking for and it only fits with Cheika if the player is favoured.

Yeah, it's ironic but Quade's defensive style actually is almost exactly what you'd really want from him sort of him actually being a good defender.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
He wasn't released for last years Oceanic Championships and got bugger all game time for Reds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I think we will see Korczyk move back to 6 to accommodate smith at 7. AK (Andrew Kellaway) is lucky to stay however with only 2 runs (for 7m), 3 tackles and 4 missed tackles. Probably see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) come back to the bench, or even a 6/2 split. I'd be throwing Perese right back into the wing where Nabuli was meant to go and push Nabuli back to bench unless a 6/2 split. I still think DP will miss out.

I'd be happy to see Tui moved to 6. (Though I'm sure we won't)

1. Slipper 2. Amosa 3. Thor
4. Rodda 5. Douglas
6. Tui 8. Timu 7. Smith
9. Tuttle 10. Lance 11. Perese 12. Kerevi 13. Sautia 14. Daugunu 15. Toua
16. Mafi 17. Smith 18. Smith 19. Hockings 20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 21. Korczyk 22. Mcdermott 23. Stewart

Wellllll I wasn't too far wrong. Sucks about Thor. Didn't get my 6/2 split but this weekends team works well anyway.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
What do people think about Tui playing 6?
Is this a prelude to a long term move, or only a stop-gap measure due to no Higginbotham or Smith?

Is this Thorn trying to get Tui a Wallabies Jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.