• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Has anyone seen the Number 10 for Souths play so far in the QLD 2018 Hospital Challenge Cup , Future Reds Fly half for sure.. His name is Quade Someone..

So apparently Thorn was pretty clear, Quade (and Hunt) aren't coming back. I know there is some tension building in the QRU around the Lance/Quade situation, but nothing too serious yet. Lance is starting to become a hard pick to justify when you look at the alternative.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I still maintain that we shouldn't get overly excited or upset about away performances.

Rookie team. Rookie coach. That's a bridge too far for that makeup.

Away wins are hard in super rugby at the best of times - pretty much only the top 4 teams in each year seem to be able to achieve it consistently.

The only thing we can truly judge them on this year is their home ground performances tbh.

Away game will just be a lottery.
That's fine, but this was the game against the Waratahs.

Where is this team going if it meekly gives up 37 points and gets a lone runaway try against their biggest rivals?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
So apparently Thorn was pretty clear, Quade (and Hunt) aren't coming back. I know there is some tension building in the QRU around the Lance/Quade situation, but nothing too serious yet. Lance is starting to become a hard pick to justify when you look at the alternative.

My post was attempt of humour.... But the Reds won’t be laughing when the Souths games are Getting a bigger crowd then the Reds.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Where is this team going if it meekly gives up 37 points and gets a lone runaway try against their biggest rivals?

Too early to say. That's what I'm saying.

Look, I am just about the most negative person on these forums, yet even I can see that (logically speaking) coming back from the absolute and mind numbingly stupidity of the last couple of years will take some time.

Historically, most teams on the road to recovery secure their home games first. Not by choice - it just tends to happen that way most often (not always - there are always outliers and exceptions). I have no idea if it's a mental thing, a familial thing or something in the water.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Watched Thorn in post match interview. Quade gone and that’s that as far as the coach is concerned yet he acknowledges Quade playing good rugby and his team has no attack. Seriously QRU and AU management this is obviously personal not about skill or culture. Sad how the reds team performance has dropped since Quade started playing for Souths. Me thinks a few reds players maybe are starting to lose belief.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Worst performance against the Tahs ever they said last night (scoreline)

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Andy Friend needs a coaching gig now that the 7s is over - his team seemed to be able to draw and pass pretty well so maybe the QRU could bring him into help as the Reds at the moment only seem to be able to do one off runs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watched Thorn in post match interview. Quade gone and that’s that as far as the coach is concerned yet he acknowledges Quade playing good rugby and his team has no attack. Seriously QRU and AU management this is obviously personal not about skill or culture. Sad how the reds team performance has dropped since Quade started playing for Souths. Me thinks a few reds players maybe are starting to lose belief.
Feels something more to Quade issue where certain conversations may have transpired with thorn which made his position untenable while Brad in charge.

As an outsider than are certainly more things to like what Brad done with the reds than dislike so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

And for me dropping dp for Kerevi at 12 proved great move and fact is dp does not offer versatility as reserve back compared to other options so being out of 23 to me makes sense.

With youth investing in while this year unlikely to see finals football for future years looks heading in right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Feels something more to Quade issue where certain conversations may have transpired with thorn which made his position untenable while Brad in charge.

As an outsider than are certainly more things to like what Brad done with the reds than dislike so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

And for me dropping dp for Kerevi at 12 proved great move and fact is dp does not offer versatility as reserve back compared to other options so being out of 23 to me makes sense.

With youth investing in while this year unlikely to see finals football for future years looks heading in right direction

I don't in any way agree that Brad has, yet, done more things to like than dislike. I wonder if it is too easy for his early first mis-moves to grey into the background.

But I'd agree he may get there, that things to like overcome those things to dislike. He needs to keep working it though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't in any way agree that Brad has, yet, done more things to like than dislike. I wonder if it is too easy for his early first mis-moves to grey into the background.

But I'd agree he may get there, that things to like overcome those things to dislike. He needs to keep working it though.

So given decisions made on roster and assessing what look like cf last season under Brad, you don’t think Reds improved on last season so far with players like smith yet to come back and hunt unexpectly jetteisoned?

Brad may not be best coach yet in oz super rugby but certainly showing imho best potential for a while cf past red coaches as on the right improvement trajectory for a FIRST year super rugby coach with limited coaching cv.

Something about bathwater and baby

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So given decisions made on roster and assessing what look like cf last season under Brad, you don’t think Reds improved on last season so far with players like smith yet to come back and hunt unexpectly jetteisoned?

Brad may not be best coach yet in oz super rugby but certainly showing imho best potential for a while cf past red coaches as on the right improvement trajectory for a FIRST year super rugby coach with limited coaching cv.

Cf??

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not a fan of the team choices, reminds me of the Saffa teams of the 90s and early 2000s. Big centres and small pacey wingers who never see the ball. Too many black holes and a non-distributing 15 isn't a balanced backline.

Picking a lumbering pack is a huge risk vs a smaller extremely mobile pack, and they paid for it.

Toua isn't a super level fullback, his decision making is poor on attack and effort on defence non-existent (meanwhile pretty sure we have a 10 with questionable defence that will never get a look in).

No idea on team selections, we're not completely rebuilding and selecting youngsters (DP, Stewart), instead choosing journeymen who won't be around next year (Lance, Toua).

Attack is just a clusterfuck. It doesn't matter how good your defence is, if your attack is that bad it will put pressure on your defence and you will eventually crumble.

All in all it's just weird. A few good early results before things started to go pear shaped again. Was ready to eat my word on Thorn, but now I'm back to watching and waiting.

In the meantime.....go Sixers!

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quade is not the answer.

He doesn't have the confidence in himself, and you can see that when he "runs" the ball.

The knee injury in 2011 screwed him mentally and he hasn't got it sorted out.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

RN, mate I'm happy for your opinion. My comment was specifically to this:

Whether I think Brad is doing better than last year, or not - is there more to like or dislike about what Brad is doing now?

I have said from the start that we would need give him time, all I'm saying now is that imo he needs it - time.

No baby, no bathwater. For now there are more things to dislike than like. It is maybe an upward trajectory - sort of. Which is to be liked. However, if we were to lock in how the Reds are playing now, as the standard going forward, I would consider that deplorable. A similar assessment was given to recent previous coaches who provide no relevant benchmark.

Brad needs time to sort his shit out. Fans just have to live with it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.