• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
On any objective grounds and after many Super Rounds, there are few credible signs of any net improvement of Thorn's Reds over Stiles'.

Well into the 2018 Super comp, we are second bottom on the Australian table.

We are losing games badly. Our attack is poor and the 'greatly improved defence' promised early by the hapless Totality Tony McGahan is a myth. The team lacks coherence and consistency.

The biggest point however surely is this: how could anyone expect an elite rugby coaching group of rookie Thorn, the totally unproven Corozza and and the demonstrably failed McGahan (the latter two of course 'good QLD rugby men') to rebuild the Reds after 5 years of rapidly unfolding playing disasters and consistent coaching mediocrities? There is and always has been zero credibility in that proposition. Picking this group as an aggregate was and will remain inexplicably reckless and high risk in the extreme. A totally different approach to coaching design was needed to believably attempt to transform the Reds' playing outcomes.

The above is all consistent though with a QRU that lurches from one brand of strategic incompetence to another - nothing has really changed at the QRU in fundamental terms since that darkest of all days when in April 2012 Richard Graham was paraded as a fine choice to replace Link as HC of the Reds. We have been in the same place for six years yet remarkably some posters here expect or anticipate enhanced on-field outcomes.

The words below adequately describe the QRU's predominant capability characteristics over the last 10-15 years (where the 'outsiders' Link-Carmichael period is now seen to be a mere aberrant outlier):

Institutional culture: nepotistic, wilfully inbred, self-referential, arrogant without grounds
Leadership capability: inadequately sourced, resourced and typically incompetent
Player development and recruitment and coaching development capability: exceptionally poor interspersed with shocking and recklessly expensive misjudgements re 'prestige recruitments'

Finally, the notion that the Reds 2018 should be indulged with the moniker of being in a 'learning and development' mode is strategically laughable whilst also being the lamest of available excuses: what then have we been doing since Link's departure more than 5 years ago? Are we not meant to be one of only two core rugby States in Australia? Are we not meant to be continuously enticing good crowds and viewership so as to ensure financial viability? How is a perpetual 'learning and development' team mode affordable and credible with a paying fan population?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Not a fan of the team choices, reminds me of the Saffa teams of the 90s and early 2000s. Big centres and small pacey wingers who never see the ball. Too many black holes and a non-distributing 15 isn't a balanced backline.

Picking a lumbering pack is a huge risk vs a smaller extremely mobile pack, and they paid for it.

Toua isn't a super level fullback, his decision making is poor on attack and effort on defence non-existent (meanwhile pretty sure we have a 10 with questionable defence that will never get a look in).

No idea on team selections, we're not completely rebuilding and selecting youngsters (DP, Stewart), instead choosing journeymen who won't be around next year (Lance, Toua).

Attack is just a clusterfuck. It doesn't matter how good your defence is, if your attack is that bad it will put pressure on your defence and you will eventually crumble.

All in all it's just weird. A few good early results before things started to go pear shaped again. Was ready to eat my word on Thorn, but now I'm back to watching and waiting.

In the meantime...go Sixers!

I think Toua should be dropped, particularly if BT's mantra about defence, defence, defence is applied. In the last two games, Toua, in spite of his turbo speed, seems content to run along beside the try scorer, enjoying a grand stand view of the scorer's try.
I really think he's worried about getting injured, and damaging his chances of an overseas posting comes year end.
If BT doesn't act quickly on this, and place Hamish Stewart there, or someone else who can tackle, then I can't rate Thorn as a coach.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Toua should be dropped, particularly if BT's mantra about defence, defence, defence is applied. In the last two games, Toua, in spite of his turbo speed, seems content to run along beside the try scorer, enjoying a grand stand view of the scorer's try.

I don't think Toua's defence (or lack thereof) had an influence on any of the tries against the Waratahs.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^^^ Premature eVacuation of the crowds supporting the REDS lads!!!. Appeal for calmness. There might be smoke but not necessarily a fire !!so dont farrrken panic and jump on the alarm button . . . Let those appointed to do this job see through to last game which btw is still only just halfway !!! bloody yell. DOnt feed the sharks yet, let them circle plenty of RED meat to go crazy on. . when the F.A.T approaches the mic lol. there are many loyal ones who still believe even the small glimpses of hope. . .

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
On any objective grounds and after many Super Rounds, there are few credible signs of any net improvement of Thorn's Reds over Stiles'.

We are losing games badly. Our attack is poor and the 'greatly improved defence' promised early by the hapless Totality Tony McGahan is a myth. The team lacks coherence and consistency.

The biggest point however surely is this: how could anyone expect an elite rugby coaching group of rookie Thorn, the totally unproven Corozza and and the demonstrably failed McGahan (the latter two of course 'good QLD rugby men') to rebuild the Reds after 5 years of rapidly unfolding playing disasters and consistent coaching mediocrities? There is and always has been zero credibility in that proposition. Picking this group as an aggregate was and will remain inexplicably reckless and high risk in the extreme. A totally different approach to coaching design was needed to believably attempt to transform the Reds' playing outcomes.

The above is all consistent though with a QRU that lurches from one brand of strategic incompetence to another - nothing has really changed at the QRU in fundamental terms since that darkest of all days when in April 2012 Richard Graham was paraded as a fine choice to replace Link as HC of the Reds. We have been in the same place for six years yet remarkably some posters here expect or anticipate enhanced on-field outcomes.

The words below adequately describe the QRU's predominant capability characteristics over the last 10-15 years (where the 'outsiders' Link-Carmichael period is now seen to be a mere aberrant outlier):

Institutional culture: nepotistic, wilfully inbred, self-referential, arrogant without grounds
Leadership capability: inadequately sourced, resourced and typically incompetent
Player development and recruitment and coaching development capability: exceptionally poor interspersed with shocking and recklessly expensive misjudgements re 'prestige recruitments'

Finally, the notion that the Reds 2018 should be indulged with the moniker of being in a 'learning and development' mode is strategically laughable whilst also being the lamest of available excuses: what then have we been doing since Link's departure more than 5 years ago? Are we not meant to be one of only two core rugby States in Australia? Are we not meant to be continuously enticing good crowds and viewership so as to ensure financial viability? How is a perpetual 'learning and development' team mode affordable and credible with a paying fan population?

Not that I disagree with you RH, but you do only seem to post about the reds when they are going shit

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Quade is not the answer.

He doesn't have the confidence in himself, and you can see that when he "runs" the ball.

The knee injury in 2011 screwed him mentally and he hasn't got it sorted out.

I would say it's more doing his shoulder 3 times in less than 12 months

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)

I asked before the season what kind of rugby the Reds would play under Thorn, having previously seen his under-20s side play a monotonous style of one out rugby. Haven't seen the tape of Queensland Country last season which was claimed to be impressive, but it is no surprise that the Reds attack is struggling.

Partly because this is clearly Thorn's preference to play a physical style of forward-orientated game, and secondly because the players with most the raw attacking ability in the squad are now playing club rugby. Quade being obvious, but Duncan Paia'aua is also there. There aren't any playmakers in this Reds team. There are good attacking weapons like Kerevi but feeding him early ball and saying 'here you go' is not the answer. No one seems to be able to create space for anyone else.

Having said that, the on-field structure is miles ahead of the Graham years, but not the level of polish or attention to detail you get in NZ sides. They should surpass the win totals of the last two years which has to be said as an improvement (it's a results business after all). But that's kinda where the ceiling is for this team and Thorn. Improve on rock bottom but still be bad-to-average.

There is no way this kind of rugby is going to beat any NZ side.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I asked before the season what kind of rugby the Reds would play under Thorn, having previously seen his under-20s side play a monotonous style of one out rugby. Haven't seen the tape of Queensland Country last season which was claimed to be impressive, but it is no surprise that the Reds attack is struggling.

Partly because this is clearly Thorn's preference to play a physical style of forward-orientated game, and secondly because the players with most the raw attacking ability in the squad are now playing club rugby. Quade being obvious, but Duncan Paia'aua is also there. There aren't any playmakers in this Reds team. There are good attacking weapons like Kerevi but feeding him early ball and saying 'here you go' is not the answer. No one seems to be able to create space for anyone else.

With Qld Country last season he had Stewart and DP at 10/12 and they combined well. I think he also had CFS at 13 so it seems odd that he hasn't tried the Stewart/DP combination at the Reds.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)

And for some reason, his bio states that he was the " longest-serving and most successful coach in the club’s history" - it should, in fairness, also state that he delivered the wooden spoon in two of those seasons and never made the finals.
Good luck with that Reds

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Not that I disagree with you RH, but you do only seem to post about the reds when they are going shit

1. When objectively since late 2012 have they (the Reds) been 'going consistently well and showing serious, sustained improvement'? When - again objectively - has the QRU demonstrated a series of sound actions that show the appalling trends of 2013-2017 will be addressed in a serious and competent manner? So derivatively, in the noted period, when in a trend sense vs the rare momentary success spot event that has _always_ proven the exception to the rule, have the QRU and the Reds 'not been going shit'?

2. I have been posting here since June 2010. When coaching competency had obviously returned to the Reds in that period and right through 2012, I posted very positively regarding the team, its coaching group as a whole (and btw the group as a whole was highly important vs just the skills of Link) and mostly also regarding the enhanced management of the Reds' business affairs that I considered was being delivered then by J Carmicheal.

3. The very moment I saw Richard Graham's appointment in early 2012, I predicted right here that this would ultimately spell disaster and would bring the Reds and the QRU back to its worst days and, despite (quite vicious) protests here from certain die-hard posters that were typically wilfully blind, that predication has, tragically, proven correct.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would say it's more doing his shoulder 3 times in less than 12 months
Nope. He doesn't run the ball the way he used to. There's no sidestep, no poise and no confidence in his legs.

He just won't attempt the huge step that he so often used before that knee went.

A player like him should be shredding premier rugby defences, not just "playing well".

But he doesn't. Because he can't.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Not quite sure where to put this but as a Reds supporter it can go here. Other fans feel free to post where you like.

Schedule difficulty for the rest of the year attached. Just sums up all of the comp points for the remaining opposition for the rest of the year.

Reds have a very tough home schedule ahead, with a relatively easy away lineup - which is what you'd want if you had a choice.

Doesn't take into account number of games (maybe I should average?) Eg Lions only have two home games left, brumbies, bulls

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
970e4304dae125ee12b70f89ddca3892.jpg

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Apparently he has offered to train and play wherever requested by the Reds or his club Norths but neither team will select him or clear him to attend training.

So limbo - which involves lots of training at Quade's boxing gym in Lutwyche
So Quade is the highest paid player to play park footballer and Hunt is the highest paid player to not play any rugby at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.