• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Where did I mention solicitors? I have made it clear in my original post that I am talking about the "good quality coaches plying their trade overseas". I made no comment about any other trade or profession.

I did not mention solicitors and was not talking about them at all. What does the pay of solicitors have to do with this at all?
You ever heard of an example?

I was trying to explain why getting paid in Euros does not, of itself, mean you are automatically earning more than if you earn AUD. I was trying to make it easier for you to understand why you are wrong by referencing examples. I guess they didn't help.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
You ever heard of an example?

I was trying to explain why getting paid in Euros does not, of itself, mean you are automatically earning more than if you earn AUD. I was trying to make it easier for you to understand why you are wrong by referencing examples. I guess they didn't help.

I was very specific in my wording on who I was referring to. Explicitly the coaching guys. If I had meant to be more general, I would have used the terms "In general, for most or all people, on average... etc etc". But I didn't. Because I was explicitly talking about one set of people and their case.

The reason your example doesn't help is because it is meaningless. The reason your example is meaningless is because it is irrelevant to what I was talking about.

You also didn't read all that I wrote - as you would see that I already addressed the concept of their higher costs of living.

tldr for the truly, epic stupid: I chose my words very carefully because it was for only those people I was referring to.

and derpus - back on to ignore mate. You add nothing for me.

Reactions: dru

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
What is the most important AND achievable recruit for the Reds to bring success?

Is it a CEO, Coach or player/s or other front office role?

If the CEO was given total control then I think future success, not immediate success would come about.

Medium term it is the coach

Short term it is a couple of world class players.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
4 wins, 9 losses. 7 times we've conceded more than 35 points. So much for fabled defence.
My biggest gripe is that another season has gone by and there hasn't been any concerted plan to get a post Genia-QC (Quade Cooper) combination going. Stewart, Sorovi & Tuttle have all been shafted for Lucas, Lance & Mcdermott at various points. The season will end and each will have less than 10 games experience, and just 4 as a combination.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
4 wins, 9 losses. 7 times we've conceded more than 35 points. So much for fabled defence.
My biggest gripe is that another season has gone by and there hasn't been any concerted plan to get a post Genia-QC (Quade Cooper) combination going. Stewart, Sorovi & Tuttle have all been shafted for Lucas, Lance & Mcdermott at various points. The season will end and each will have less than 10 games experience, and just 4 as a combination.

and we could not even score a try in one of the wins.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)

Given Stewart's lack of success with kicking last Saturday I wonder what the plan is going forward - I was really surprised how poorly he kicked overall and until Lucas came on there wasn't an alternative. But Lucas is not the future, and Lance is moving on, so if they go with a Sorovi/Stewart combination a reliable kicker needs to come into the mix as that is crucial - Tuttle seems to be out of favour. For some reason I had thought that Stewart was quite a good kicker, but I'm not sure where I got that from. Hopefully kick coaching and lots of practice are on the agenda during the June test break.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Given Stewart's lack of success with kicking last Saturday I wonder what the plan is going forward - I was really surprised how poorly he kicked overall and until Lucas came on there wasn't an alternative. But Lucas is not the future, and Lance is moving on, so if they go with a Sorovi/Stewart combination a reliable kicker needs to come into the mix as that is crucial - Tuttle seems to be out of favour. For some reason I had thought that Stewart was quite a good kicker, but I'm not sure where I got that from. Hopefully kick coaching and lots of practice are on the agenda during the June test break.

Daugunu is a proficient kicker; one of our current young wingers will hopefully move to 15. But I'm quite sure Stewart probably wouldn't have a night kicking that poorly for a long time.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
If I was Perese's manager I would be highly recommend kicking practice, he he was to become proficient he would be a long term selection and also indespensible.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
If I was Perese's manager I would be highly recommend kicking practice, he he was to become proficient he would be a long term selection and also indespensible.

Can Perese kick? I've not ever seen him kick, but that's probably the only string he doesn't have to his bow.

I honestly don't think kicking should be our priority right now. This time next season yes, but our first best priority should be playing good rugby, if we lose games this season (or even part of next season) to poor kicking but are playing winning rugby I'd very happy.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
"Can Perese kick? I've not ever seen him kick, but that's probably the only string he doesn't have to his bow."

Of course he can kick!:D BUT kicking conversions is an art involving both skill and a calm relaxed and a focused mind. Stewart is a good kicker. However he MUST do some mental exercise to shake off the tension as he is naturally an aggressive footballer(same as Lance), They bring that tension to kicking and imo they appear to NOT have a way of shaking that tension and built up pressure (from game situation and crowd). The perculiar behaviour of good goal kickers is not a foreign thing but a proven psychological element for success as goal kickers. Farrell the English sharp shooter has a very unique and weird ritual. I think Wilkinson started this whole ritual to shake off the tension before releasing the energy thru the ball to the centre of the goal posts. . .:p. QC (Quade Cooper) has a definite unique haka like action. . .The Lions 10 also has a unique kicking ritual...and McKenzie has that annoying smirk :D. . .

BTW. .how does Perese go under the high ball?;)

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Isn't Thurston due to retire at the end of the year? While kicking a NRL ball is different from our egg of a ball, having him at least work with our kickers wouldn't be a bad decision.

Otherwise, I think it's time we reciprocate the favour the poms did and start pinching backroom staff of their former greats. Surely Wilkinson and Martin Johnson would be inclined to escape the harsh English winter?

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^^^

I agree. Darryl Halligan the Bulldogs sharp shooter , has been a sort after kicking coach for a number of NRL teams I believe.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
I really don't believe you can turn yourself around and become a great kicker in a short period of time with such limited experience, there are kickers 10's/15's etc that have been kicking goals since they first pulled on the boots and still struggle,remember Stewart was not designated kicker at school, U18, colts at Bond or u20's so to be thrusted into a position like that was really poor coaching or BT had no other choice, I can tell you that I watched Hamish take a few lessons from Dave Alred (Johnny Wilkinson kicking coach) & he just couldn't quite get the hang of it.. so this is where the believe having some like QC (Quade Cooper) hanging around training would have been beneficial.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
^^^

I agree. Darryl Halligan the Bulldogs sharp shooter , has been a sort after kicking coach for a number of NRL teams I believe.

Halligan was the Waikato rugby sharpshooter before he got poached by league - always was a very good goalkicker.

Even in Premier rugby there have been some very good kickers who might not have had the overall game to get to Super Rugby level and have now retired but could be utilised in a part time capacity to assist in developing the kicking abilities of the designated Super Rugby players. Interesting that Linebreaker has said that Stewart has never been the designated kicker at previous levels, I assumed he had been. We are really exposed there as Daiganu has defensive issues so may not be a first choice selection, Lucas shouldn't be a first choice selection, and Lance is leaving.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Stewart was not designated kicker at school, U18, colts at Bond or u20's

He has been kicking ever since I first saw him (in 2014), and it has been one of the strengths of his game.
Definitely first choice kicker at TGS and Australian Schools and 2nd choice in U20's and at Bond behind Harry Nucifora

Probably just lacking a little confidence ATM. I think he'll shake it off

stewart-kicking1.jpg
stewart-kicking2.jpg
stewart-kicking3.jpg

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
He has been kicking ever since I first saw him (in 2014), and it has been one of the strengths of his game.
Definitely first choice kicker at TGS and Australian Schools and 2nd choice in U20's and at Bond behind Harry Nucifora

Probably just lacking a little confidence ATM. I think he'll shake it off

View attachment 9964View attachment 9965View attachment 9966

Lets see how the sharp shooter go's in France...If he gets rid of the tongue he'll improve;)

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.