• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Good news or bad news?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm rooting for Good:

- after 5 years of disastrous mediocrity and implausible excuses for it, the QRU board has resigned in deserved shame

- Link takes over as QRU Director of Coaching and Coach Development

- new CEO with experience of successful sports administration appointed

- major review of all Queensland Rugby systems, pathways, investment priorities etc announced with a view to rapidly rebuilding QLD as the great rugby province it once was

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
- Link takes over as QRU Director of Coaching and Coach Development

- major review of all Queensland Rugby systems, pathways, investment priorities etc announced with a view to rapidly rebuilding QLD as the great rugby province it once was

Dreamy

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
My prediction on the assumption that it's Not player related/Not Ballymore related

New State School Rugby competition (either 7's/15's) coming to Queensland in 2019.

I only predict this because State School participation of the "game played in heaven" is a priority for Rugby Administrations.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Nope this is totally wrong.

Some of the scores put on us are embarrassing. If the coach don’t want Quade Cooper in his side due to his defensive liability but then you have hurricanes putting 38, tahs putting 50+ and Sunwolves putting 60+ on us. then you gotta ask yourself. would Quade defensive liabilties equal that much bigger of a score line put on us or would the inclusion of Quade help us match these score lines.

I honestly feel sick at some of these results zero cool. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. But the scorelines have been embarrassing

Everything you are saying is correct. The QC (Quade Cooper) issue is a concern but I don't recall having seen anyone actually saying it's because of his defence, the line I recall is more 'were going in a different direction' sure we all that that to mean defence but isn't necessarily so; but let's set that aside in relation to the defensive systems issue.

But the question must be is this because of the systems, or because of the inconsistency of the players. I think these awful defensive performances are more attributable to the inconsistency rather than the systems perse, I'm happy to put those fantastic defensive performances down to positive inconsistency too, but this leads us back to who much can you blame the coach when we have more than half our 23 very young and still developing. I think last week it was 7 under 23 in the 15 last week.

How much can systems no matter how good, they can't turn a young side into a good side in one season. Give it time is all I'm saying, this time next year if we haven't found some consistency then I'd be concerned.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, my understanding is it's more personal reasons than something else.

his wife is crook, but read this from Jeff Miller in the article:

""Richard and I have been discussing the QRU’s future requirements for a couple of months, given the changes that he has implemented here over the past two years."

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
yes. there is a suggestion/hint that they looking to change something... chairman and CEO turned over in quick succession... and after fairly short stints by both.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
his wife is crook, but read this from Jeff Miller in the article:

""Richard and I have been discussing the QRU’s future requirements for a couple of months, given the changes that he has implemented here over the past two years."

Yes RR - there can be little doubt that's code for 'by mutual agreement, it's time to move on.....'

From what I can observe the only tangible achievement of R Barker as CEO was major, immediate cost cutting post the J Carmichael era. That was likely essential given the large decline in QRU income from all manner of Reds-related income sources (although ARU grants went up in part compensation).

I said at the time of RB's appointment, he looked to me under-qualified for what was required and there was the yet-again danger signs of his announcement being draped with all his and his family's historical connections with QLD rugby. Just the same refrain we heard re Graham in 2012 and Stiles not too much later.

When you hear that happy song from the QRU it's typically code for 'we like and rate our own brethren far too much for our own good and give its value far too much weight in recruitment'.

Insiders tell me - rightly or wrongly - that there is serious concern at Ballymore that such cutting has gone from muscle fat into deep bone layers and that current resources are not at adequate levels to stand a good chance of protecting rugby's all-levels code market share vs AFL, NRL, soccer.

The risk therefore is that costs have been cut so deep that a vicious circle unfolds wherein revenue keeps falling with the Reds keeping disappointing and yet there is not the resource depth to do anything much about stopping that fall, in marketing or other terms and so the down cycle continues and perhaps exacerbates.

And of course the QRU under Barker took a massive, massive gamble with Thorn, dumping QC (Quade Cooper), and only appointing failed and inexperienced Reds ACs under Thorn. That jury is very much still out. They are predictably trotting out today with Barker gone the 'Brad building a wonderful young team that will take time so please stay with us.....' line but what else can they say with a 2018 Reds w-l% that at 30.7% to date is not significantly better than his predecessors'.

Will a new 'global search' for CEO be now commenced defined by the outer perimeter of the Ballymore car parks?

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great news, although the circumstances leading to the decision obviously aren't.

This is the man who has presided over the greatest sporting decline in Australia this century.

I don't know what other teams in Australia are sitting at 30% of what their average crowd was 5 years ago. Has any other team in Australia had 4 Head Coaches on their books at the same time? Any other teams putting 1.2 mil worth of player talent on the sideline while they concede 32 points a game?

From the outside looking in Barker has just been another weak-willed roll-over yes-man that Australian Rugby doesn't need.

He rubber stamped the cutting of the Western Force when the QRU could have veto'd it with no. He has been completely complicit with the destruction Rugby Union in the state & country and shouldn't be given the chance to tell his story walking.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
the QRU under Barker took a massive, massive gamble with Thorn, dumping QC (Quade Cooper), and only appointing failed and inexperienced Reds ACs under Thorn. That jury is very much still out.

You Qld buggers need to be giving Thorn another year. And I suspect that will happen.

Everyone knew before the season that the Reds would likely still be cannon fodder. There is enough of a turn around there, however, IMO. — That's the on-field.

Off-field, we have to hope there is a chance that car park boundary is being stretched because there's only a very short window of opportunity for rugby overall in this country to turn itself around.

It can only happen from within and that's where the QRU are; dead centre, or near enough.

If this chance is not taken, we won't be worried about "cutting into bone" because it will be time to start severing limbs.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Seriously, I think some of you need to look at the trajectory Queensland rugby is on, look at the other states, and the ARU and reassess your views on the QRU. Sure they aren't perfict, but I think given the circumstances the QRU have done a decent job. The Waratahs dispite having all the favour of the ARU are financially struggling, the ARU are struggling, none of the other Super Rugby teams are really making a profit. The QRU are while having to carry the very expensive handcuffs that is Ballymore in it's current form.
Beyond this Queensland is producing far more than our fair share of top rugby players.

There are lots of things I don't like going on, but credit where credit is due, relative to the other Super Rugby teams/States the QRU isn't under performing.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
look at the other states, and the ARU and reassess your views on the QRU.

This is the same old buck-passing problem. The QRU are in large part the ARU.

What changes have these guys driven at the ARU? … The answer is sweet fokol.

Whether the QRU is the worst on ground in their home state can be debated. I'm sure there's a bragging point to be found somewhere but, frankly, it's a cripple fight. Who's going to be surprised when they need (yet again) another bailout

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Pretty sure that all belongs to Carmichael and Graham doesn't it?

Yeah I was definitely wrong to pin 5 years on him.

Lasting legacies:
- The average Reds crowd has halved since he started in 2016.
- He's said "yeah nice idea Bradley" and watched our biggest drawcard play club footy for Souths.
- Non-traditional revenue streams are non-existent when they used to be a beacon of strength for the Reds.
- Hired on the back of his experience in Radio media and marketing, but he's been naught but a wet sock.
- Complicit in the cutting of the WF (which no doubt has contributed to our dismal crowds this year)

Getting through 5 years worth of destroying Queensland rugby in only 2 years in the job is very impressive.
Yes, it's very impressive that he's fit 5 years of poor performance in two.

Status
Not open for further replies.