• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
After some of our forwards playing the Irish, you'd have to think that the Reds have got one of the strongest forward packs in Super 15:
Front Row: J.P. Smith , Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Taniela Tupou
Locks: Lukhan Tui, Isack Rodda
Loose forwards:Scott Higginbotham, George Smith, Caleb Timu

Those in bold are current wallabies

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
An excellent pack Emubum. How do you rate it against :

Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Carter, Samu, Pocock, Valetini? Fainga'a is currently in the Wallabies squad, Valetini I think has been with the squad and Carter is an ex-Wallaby playing the best football of his career.

End of the day, they both still have to come up against the Crusaders who dominate the ABs' pack.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Do you guys still have Mc Gahan reeking havoc among the team? I see standings show Reds with 4 wins for the season, certainly better than the 1 win he achieved in Melbourne for his last year, but surely you guys were expecting better for a guy who earns circa $250,000 right? What are you getting for your money?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Do you guys still have Mc Gahan reeking havoc among the team? I see standings show Reds with 4 wins for the season, certainly better than the 1 win he achieved in Melbourne for his last year, but surely you guys were expecting better for a guy who earns circa $250,000 right? What are you getting for your money?
Honestly Lou, the assistant coach in charge of defense has been the least of our worries for most of the year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thoughts on Lukhan Tui?

Surely as he looks to settle into a back row role at the Wallabies we need to find a way to let him develop experience in that position at the Reds. Massive change in the squad selections if we do though, we are heavy with back row and our depth in the second row depends on bringing through Hockings and Blyth.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Massive change in the squad selections if we do though, we are heavy with back row and our depth in the second row depends on bringing through Hockings and Blyth.
LTui is taylor-made to occupy the #6 spot and therefor imo, should continue to develop in that role. He has the pedigree of a modern #6 who can also cover the lock role. Hocking is the heir apparent to make the starting lock partnership with incumbent Rodda. I think Blyth is still a work in progress, he can come off the bench in 2019. So that leaves Timu and SYoung to fight over the #8, with Wright to own the #7. Also I would love to see young Frazer McReight (U/20's openside flanker be given a go off the bench at #7 in these last few games). Douglas and SMith are going already, and Im not sure if Higgi is staying or going as well. Kiwi may find himself looking for a new club sooner rather then wait in line? I think he may have dropped out of the pegging order for the #6, 7 & 8 to these young guns.

Reactions: dru

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thoughts on Lukhan Tui?

Surely as he looks to settle into a back row role at the Wallabies we need to find a way to let him develop experience in that position at the Reds. Massive change in the squad selections if we do though, we are heavy with back row and our depth in the second row depends on bringing through Hockings and Blyth.

Brad Thorn coaching lineup should not be dictated by what Cheika wants to do.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I'd expect him to play lock.

Will be interesting to see what role the departing players (Lance, Douglas and I think Smith??) play from now on. I'd be looking to the future. Although it would seem we don't have a future fullback lined up as yet. Maybe Mack Hansen from Canberra? Daugunu perhaps.

In saying that Nick Jooste's kicking would come in handy. Just not sure how he fits in the team.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
yeah, I'd expect him to play lock.

Will be interesting to see what role the departing players (Lance, Douglas and I think Smith??) play from now on. I'd be looking to the future. Although it would seem we don't have a future fullback lined up as yet. Maybe Mack Hansen from Canberra? Daugunu perhaps.

In saying that Nick Jooste's kicking would come in handy. Just not sure how he fits in the team.

Will they retain Toua for the 2019 squad as the 15 backup? (Assuming they offload Maranta along with Lance & Nabuli). B.Lucas might not be around either.

Toua would be a sound outside back cover option if they can hopefully free up Hunts cash along with Lucas/Lance/Nabuli/Marantas cash to target a legit FB. Jordan will get put on a proper contract, a couple people will probably get raises along with at least 1 more youngster coming in to learn how to 10.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jim Tucker wrote an article today highlights were

*Tui will be moving to the back row for the blues game this week
*CFS to miss rest of season with torn meniscus in knee

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Smith 2. Amosa 3. Thor
4. Rodda 5. Douglas
6. Tui 8. Higs 7. Smith
9. Sorovi 10. Stewart 11. Jordan 12. DP 13. Kerevi 14. Perese 15. Lance
16. Ready 17. Faagase 18. Smith 19. Timu 20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 21. Wright 22. Lucas 23. Daugunu

With Tui starting, I think they will skip Hockings on the bench and go with the higher tempo backrows on the bench with Tui covering lock.

Finishing the game proably with
4. Tui 5. Douglas
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 8.Timu 7.Wright

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Amazing how quickly Timu goes from Wallaby to the Reds bench - but I think you are right.

If this works for Tui and the Reds, including him being used in the second row for the last 20-30, we could be developing one of the most valuable rugby forwards in Australia and setting up for an awesome WB back row.

BTW people saying earlier that we looked a little thin at fullback for 2019 - what is happening with the Folau rumours?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd be tempted to start Keveri on the bench given his workload over the last three weeks - but that would really expose this team so probably can't

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Only changes I can see for this weekend from that team are; Rodda from the bench and swapping numbers on the backs of Lance and Stewart.

Rodda racked some big minutes over the last month, he may need a week off.

Stewart at 15 gives him the opportunity to inject himself into the game rather than lumping him with the pressure. It should work better for him to develop his trade at the back than at 10.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd be tempted to start Keveri on the bench given his workload over the last three weeks - but that would really expose this team so probably can't

with sautia injured, not really another option. Jordan too young to take the responsibility at 13 and perese hasnt played 13 for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.