• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty identical record at home compared with 2017. They'll probably end up with a bit better record after the Sunwolves game

Actual results wise, yeah... But I mean the way they have played at home - light years ahead of previous years (particularly the Richard F. Graham years) in terms of how competitive they have been.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Actual results wise, yeah. But I mean the way they have played at home - light years ahead of previous years (particularly the Richard F. Graham years) in terms of how competitive they have been.

Yes light years improvement have got us to completely unacceptably poor. It did need light years though.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
We are not odds on to beat the Sunwolves. Especially after the way they played today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Reds are odds on to finish either 13th or 14th this year. The three teams with the worth point differences in the comp are the Sunwolves (-192), Reds (-147) and Blues (-76). Won 4, played 14. Most of those games won were on to give false hope before the rot set in.

Last year we finished 15th out of 18 teams, won 4, played 15, points for 321, points against 479, points difference -158.

Home games against the Rebels and Sunwolves remain. Rebels should be a comfortable loss going on this week. Sunwolves could be anything.

I still remember clearly Thorn's comments before the season started about how the players (and staff) should have been embarrassed for their results last year, as part of his justification for dumping Cooper and other players.

Looks to me like not much has changed.

I detest Thorn as a coach. I don't think he has the ability, intelligence, man management or a myriad of other skills a head coach may need some of to ever make it. That's not to say he could have gained some of them eventually, but it's too late here and now.

Right now the Reds can't even cut and run. It's really got to be another year of Thorn and probably Carozza before the next poor wood duck is found in the car park lot.

How many years to recover from this mess now, if we ever do before the painful death of rugby in this country?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
2017 Reds
Played 15, won 4, for:321, Against:479, tries for:46, tries against:61

2018 Reds
Played 14, won 4, for:314, Against:451, tries for:38, tries against:61

Shame that Thorns 'defence first' mantra hasnt produced any fruit. Whilst it seems peoples tackling might be better - it's the defensive patterns that are leading to meters being surrendered.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Looks to me like not much has changed.

Hard to argue that.

But in the interests of trying to stay optimistic I am going to try. The general achievement, reflected in our table position does not seem an improvement at all. But we have had several awesome games. Well a few anyway. Not all were wins, but these games were way ahead of things we have seen in previous seasons.

Thorn really needs to finish the season in that mode, not with what we saw last night. If he does there is a much better chance that memories of the rubbish will wane a little, and the good stuff shine a bit more in our minds.

We have seen Tui, Rodda, BPA, Toupo, Timu all take chances at WB level - Thorn certainly involved in that, and Kerevi against the odds held onto his his WB jumper.

I have no idea how Thorn manages his coaching group, but he either needs better support or he needs to change the way he directs his team. We have gone through a lot of pain, imo, from the QRU decision to appoint Thorn, imo, to early. I wont personally ever forgive the Quade thing, but to be frank Thorn/QRU/RA whoever must cean the slate in the Super break and return with clear resolution on Quade, Hunt, and it needs to be said, Slipper.

Finish with a solid game and see where it takes us. Oh, and for god's sake do something about discipline.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
We have seen Tui, Rodda, BPA, Toupo, Timu all take chances at WB level - Thorn certainly involved in that, and Kerevi against the odds held onto his his WB jumper.

Thorn/QRU/RA whoever must clean the slate in the Super break and return with clear resolution on Quade, Hunt, and it needs to be said, Slipper.

I thin the QRU slate cleaning needs to include Thorn, not have him as part of the process. Too many players excluded, too many odd selections and a lack of any improvement when as Ash mentioned above he said that the coaches and players should have been embarrassed by previous results, despite him being part of that coaching setup. He can no longer avoid responsibility although I am sure he will mumble his way through some excuse that doesn't mean much. Nick Stiles must be shaking his head from the sidelines. Funnily enough Matt O'Connor seems to have been doing okay with Leicester.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought the decision to hook Sorovi and Stewart after 45 minutes was harsh. They weren't setting the house on fire, and the mix up from the kick was deemed the final straw, but they're not going to improve on the sideline and can't be good for their confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought Stewart in particular showed that he is not yet up to Super Rugby standard in the 10 spot, and a long way short of consideration for higher honours. He was essentially a passenger yesterday, just making up the number and contributing very little to the way the game was being (or should have been) played.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Stewart in particular showed that he is not yet up to Super Rugby standard in the 10 spot, and a long way short of consideration for higher honours. He was essentially a passenger yesterday, just making up the number and contributing very little to the way the game was being (or should have been) played.
No problems then given the alternatives we have lined up for next year

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree, and that was my point. Both will have to step up when Lance and Lucas move on. The way that the season has panned out, it's time to blood these young blokes. Hopefully they will get used to the increased speed and physical aspects and I'm sure they'll improve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Reds another terrible year and what have they got to show for it from a development point of view for next year? Thorn and coaching staff where are we at? I see some good development in individual forwards but is that a result of Thorn? In the backs no significant player improvement at all. Kerevi maybe has improved tackling.
Jono Lance gone at season end, how is replacing Stewart at half time V Blues and moving Jono back to ten helping development of Stewart. What happened to Tuttle at 9?who picked Nabuli to even be a pro rugby player. He looks the goods on the sideline but without being harsh pathetic in games. Carozza As backs coach has been in the system at the reds forever and should go. Thorn is not a head coach and is years away from being one if ever. Great to have around the gym and with the forwards maybe. Yes one of the great players and with values worthy of being an influence to young players but that’s about all he brings at this point. The other coach McGahan I have no idea what he does. Not much I’m guessing. What’s Sam Cordingley’s role? If he is in charge of recruitment he can piss off as well. This year has been shit again and sorry next year will be worse, if possible. I am guessing the reds organisation will be in dire financial trouble based on crowd numbers and with this team won’t survive to the end of 2019 without a bail out.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reds need direction in the backs and to get them around the paddock. Quade and Genia have a lot of experience and both should have been there this year.
Samu Kerevi is not the guy to to do it either. Its a big ask for Stewart at this stage and he should not be put under that pressure.
With Lance going offshore what are the inside back options for next year?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Shame that Thorns 'defence first' mantra hasnt produced any fruit. Whilst it seems peoples tackling might be better - it's the defensive patterns that are leading to meters being surrendered.
Reds are number 2 in the comp this year for missed tackles with 322. They missed 340 last year over one more game.

Has the tackling really improved?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reds are number 2 in the comp this year for missed tackles with 322. They missed 340 last year over one more game.

Has the tackling really improved?

I'd be interested in a summary of those stats from the Reds "good games". The results overall are very poor.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I see Jim Tucker in the Sunday Mail has compared Thorn's record to Graham and Stiles' but said that the axe shouldn't be hovering over him and I am not sure why he should be exempt. He talks about the scrum dominance but Stiles had that strong scrum, he was noted for it so I don't see that this is a Thorn contribution and the dangerous tackling seems to have got worse. I'd like to see a clean out of the coaching and recruitment ranks and bring in proven coaches to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.