• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
wow, he is my new favourite coach, now if he can just work on the stupid hand signals and gang signs the players use if they score he will have me sold.

Looking professional goes a long way towards being professional, look at the NY Yankees, at one stage you had to be clean shaved if you wanted to play. Rabbitohs were turned around through a lot of things but looking professional and arriving at a game in a suit sets the theme.

Load of crap that is. I work in a very high performing company. Don't perform and you're sacked. Our ROE in unbelievable, over 100%. We are one of, if not the top company in our industry.

We have zero dress code. People earning millions per year walk around in shorts and thongs. Half the guys are never shaven.

High performing culture can be achieved in many ways. Looking "professional" went out in the early 2000s.

I would never take a job that required me to wear anything close to a suit, never had one and I graduated uni 17 years ago.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Before kick off they showed on the screen Douglas, Smith, Lucas, Nabuli and Ready - the Ready screening was a surprise, took me a bit to realise that these were departing players (I didn't know that Lucas was officially departing either). No Frisby shown that I saw (unless I missed it). I don't know why Ready has got such a lack of opportunity this season, his ruck work was great back when he was getting the starts a couple of seasons ago.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
So leaving (whether they want to or not!) are:
Slipper
Smith
Cooper
Hunt
Douglas
Lance
Lucas
Frisby
Fagaase
Nabuli
Ready

That’s 11 new recruits needed

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That’s 11 new recruits needed

I'm not sure how big the Reds squad was this year, but BJ mentioned over in the Brumbies thread that the Australian squad sizes won't be as large next year as there were extra allowances this year to accommodate the Force exodus.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
But isn't QC (Quade Cooper) and Hunt "outa there" only if they agree to move. Aren't they contracted for further years and hence could sit tight and get the money like they are this year and take up slots in available squad sizes?

Lisa, vampires are make-believe, just like elves, gremlins, and Eskimos. Homer

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Kane’s wife sounds less than thrilled about how his departure was handled by the Reds

Considering that Douglas returned to Australia (and broke his contract with the Irish club early) to 'be close to wife's family' I can imagine she is not impressed with having to move overseas again. Still, that is the life of a pro sportsperson and have to assume that he was not getting the offers from the other Oz Super Rugby sides of a similar size to wherever he is off to.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
This is what intrigues me about the Reds, and feel free to give me your views: 1. QLD produces a lot of very good school boy rugby; 2. QLD club rugby is of a very high standard; 3. The players and coaches then go where? 4. If Thorn is a culture creator at the Reds, shouldn't he start by getting the coaching culture right? 5. Why is McGahan still on the coaching squad when his record for culture is to crush and destroy the spirit and confidence of young players? 6. PS Thought the game last night was good, but too little too late in the season

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Load of crap that is. I work in a very high performing company. Don't perform and you're sacked. Our ROE in unbelievable, over 100%. We are one of, if not the top company in our industry.

We have zero dress code. People earning millions per year walk around in shorts and thongs. Half the guys are never shaven.

High performing culture can be achieved in many ways. Looking "professional" went out in the early 2000s.

I would never take a job that required me to wear anything close to a suit, never had one and I graduated uni 17 years ago.
And yet discipline was one of the Reds biggest flaws. I certainly don't think he's onto a winner with his militant approach, but you can kind of see the logic.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Looking "professional" might not be important in your field, but it sure as hell is important in a number of fields even today, 55 years after I graduated.

I am pretty sure even you would prefer your team to look like professional sportsmen on the field. And, at a guess, I would imagine that all the corporate sponsors would prefer the team to look like professionals off the field, and to behave like professionals, too.

It all depends on what the customers want. When I fly, I like to be in a plane that is clean, staffed with crew who look neat and tidy, check in staff ditto. When I go to a health professional, I expect him or her to be at least as clean and well dressed as I am. Neat hair, all the appurtanences of a civilised and healthy lifestyle.

Each to his or her own, I suppose.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looking "professional" might not be important in your field, but it sure as hell is important in a number of fields even today, 55 years after I graduated.

I am pretty sure even you would prefer your team to look like professional sportsmen on the field. And, at a guess, I would imagine that all the corporate sponsors would prefer the team to look like professionals off the field, and to behave like professionals, too.

It all depends on what the customers want. Be they spectators at a game, or people who buy memberships, or recommend sponsorships. As for your organisation, your customers obviously do not care much about appearances. But in many industry sectors, presentation is very important.
Doubt. Who do you think fans will associate with more? 15 jarheads or people who otherwise appear to be regular people?........

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Neat hair, all the appurtanences of a civilised and healthy lifestyle.

If women are able to keep their hair long, clean and tidy whilst looking professional, why can't men? After all, most of our female rugby stars have hair longer than Tate yet no coach asks them to cut it.

As someone mentioned earlier, if Thorn had the guys playing well and winning, none of this would make airwaves. But, this hard line culture he's throwing out just looks outdated and something you'd expect from the 70's.

Additionally, I can't understand the talk of Brad wanting to bring Izzy into this squad. After all, Izzy has admitted to smashing piss, chasing women and "all that kind of stuff" when he was younger. I fail to see how he's seen to be reformed but a guy like Slipper who's been nothing short of a role model for younger players up until this year is discarded?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If women are able to keep their hair long, clean and tidy whilst looking professional, why can't men? After all, most of our female rugby stars have hair longer than Tate yet no coach asks them to cut it.

As someone mentioned earlier, if Thorn had the guys playing well and winning, none of this would make airwaves. But, this hard line culture he's throwing out just looks outdated and something you'd expect from the 70's.

Additionally, I can't understand the talk of Brad wanting to bring Izzy into this squad. After all, Izzy has admitted to smashing piss, chasing women and "all that kind of stuff" when he was younger. I fail to see how he's seen to be reformed but a guy like Slipper who's been nothing short of a role model for younger players up until this year is discarded?

Hitting the piss is nothing like taking cocaine.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, so I THINK the Reds scored 49 tries this season (16 games) for 389 points total.

That's the most since 2011 when we scored 51 tries (18 games) for 477 points.

So you could say it's the most tries we've ever scored in the regular season.

Unfortunately we have also conceded the most number of points we've ever conceded in the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.