• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Kane Douglas isn’t even a stalward of Queensland Rugby... a lot of anger over a guy who’s going to be remembered for his time playing for the Waratahs. Yes he plays hard & gave his all but I expect the amount of distaste at the Reds top brass for a player of David Croft (100+ games) not Kane Douglas.

I’m really sorry Mrs Douglas that your family had to travel to queensland and not get to see him play but when the reds were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs then logic suggest coaches will look to the future not the past when it comes to team selections

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Kane Douglas isn’t even a stalward of Queensland Rugby. a lot of anger over a guy who’s going to be remembered for his time playing for the Waratahs. Yes he plays hard & gave his all but I expect the amount of distaste at the Reds top brass for a player of David Croft (100+ games) not Kane Douglas.

The 'stalwarts' are treated even worse Southern. One guy who's put in a massive shift with the QRU had to sue the organisation to get what they agreed out of them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The outpouring over Kane is bizarre. The guy played 30 Super games for us and it was a marriage of convenience if anything.

Where's the same outpouring for Andrew Ready (30 games as well), Sef Fa'agase (43), Nick Frisby (65).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The best thing Brad Thorn has done this season has made sure the playing group knows no job is safe or to be taken for granted.

It makes players appreciate when they are selected in the XV or match day 23.

I for one never saw DP/Nabuli returning to the ranks but after their exile on the bench or club rugby they both looked better for it.

The selection policy has really really ruffled some feathers and we have even heard some whisper of players wanting out of the reds because of it. Draining the swamp of Prima Donna individuals who don’t understand its about the team and not their own individual selection policy is going to have massive influence on the side that runs out in 2019.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The outpouring over Kane is bizarre. The guy played 30 Super games for us and it was a marriage of convenience if anything.

Where's the same outpouring for Andrew Ready (30 games as well), Sef Fa'agase (43), Nick Frisby (65).

I think it was more for the fact that he was in the team and playing well.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Honestly I just made the post after seeing her Instagram post but these are all very valid examples as well, if not moreso.

Reactions: dru

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I have always been a massive advocate of picking your best side available but I just think in this case the call to play Blyth (who played well IMO) was justified because Douglas will play no further part for the Reds/Wallabies and 20 minutes in the final game of the season (which would not change our chances of qualifying for finals) would actually help Blyth.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reds snap up 17yr old BBC Flyhalf Carter Gordon. I truly hope this is a low level development style role with little money based around a bit of NRC involvement but mainly going for QLD u20. Brisbane I think already have 2 teenage Aus U20 flyhalves playing in Prem grade (Creighton and Lucas I think) so would be weird for a 17 year old to skip them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reds snap up 17yr old BBC Flyhalf Carter Gordon. I truly hope this is a low level development style role with little money based around a bit of NRC involvement but mainly going for QLD u20. Brisbane I think already have 2 teenage Aus U20 flyhalves playing in Prem grade (Creighton and Lucas I think) so would be weird for a 17 year old to skip them.

Getting the talent identification right is important though.

The Reds have faltered in recent years backing the wrong horses (McIntyre over Greene and Mason) and have missed out on better players coming through just after.

I have no idea about Gordon is like. Creighton seems pretty decent though although I'm not convinced he'd be the horse I'd back to make it at Super Rugby level.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Isaac Lucas? Isn’t he playing 12.

How good is Gordon?

Are there other 10s who are missing out to these young guys who are potentially better?

Not loaded questions in any way - I don’t get to see any Brisbane club rugby, so interested in people’s thoughts.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The one thing that seemed a bit improved for the Reds this year is talent identification and pushing young players up the pecking order.

I feel like a couple of years ago guys like Petaia, Wright and Sorovi would have been overlooked for older, less talented players and ended up getting a better gig at another Super Rugby team (like Tom Banks).

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

If memory serves me correctly we still have not had a send off for QC (Quade Cooper), first time when he left and then when he was no longer wanted.

Hopefully he gets a farewell when he will the club rugby title.

Reactions: dru

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It would seem one item on the agenda for the Red's board should be re: the culture of staff including the HC on down. They are all part of the team, and if they don't respect the player's families, feelings, needs etc, then the player's will not respect them

First few agenda items for the Reds Board
1. Sack Miller - he has shown his incompetence, financially, ridiculous 10 year support for Thorn;
2. Player issues - lots of guys leaving and at least 2 senior players seeking releases;
3. Sack Cordingly - his nickname of "the Rat" says it all;AND the BIGGIE
4. Mandatory Drug Testing for the Board. Nearly all are clean except one from my sources - must be hair follicle !

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What senior players are left?

Take out Slipper, Douglas, Smith, Lucas, Lance, Nabuli, Hunt and Toua and all the age is gone - thats 8/9 most experienced players in the squad.
Take out Ready & Faagase and theres the...semi senior

Who is left that could possibly be considered 'senior' - Higs? To take up another lucrative contract and focus on his businesses instead of being at the Reds next year? Kerevi? still barely a semi senior and doubt he's going anywhere.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If he (and I'm not saying him) wanted to go Higgers gets $1.2 million to play in Japan. Tough gig that.

Higgers will never play for the Wallabies under Cheika so that's not a consideration.

Culture at the Reds has blown up. Lots of players are not happy and others won't come here (unless there is no other choice).

Thorn is a polarising figure !

Status
Not open for further replies.