• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Strong suggestions of Kerevi to Brumbies. It can't be financial soooo either he doesn't like the Reds, or playing 12 at the Brumbies is very appealing (unless TK is leaving..but I doubt it)

I’ve heard some worrying rumours. Reds won’t give him what he thinks he deserves. Or something like that.

Other wallabies wanting to leave too.

#culture.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez if Kerevi walks out it would be a hammer blow to the Reds.

Although this morning's article read to me like a player agent firing a warning shot to Queensland, in the hope that they will sharpen their pencil. I wouldn't write him off yet.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’ve heard some worrying rumours. Reds won’t give him what he thinks he deserves. Or something like that.

#culture.

<sigh>

I’m guessing this would also stretch the credibility of the Folau rumours. Leaving may not be easy though, at least leaving to another Aus franchise on better $. The franchises, especially Rebels, will be working through the salary cap which is no longer relaxed after shrink to greatness. Brumbies and Waratahs May be hunting certain positions but it won’t be wide-spread.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
At least another half dozen contracted players, including Wallabies, who want out. BT has to be pulled into line before it's too late

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Is Sam Cordingley still pulling the strings on contracting? Have heard he can be quite difficult as well.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I never thought I'd say this but the Reds are getting pretty close to losing me.
You can't expect young men to conform to some mythically high social standard where one wrong step sees you alianated with no path back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Jeez if Kerevi walks out it would be a hammer blow to the Reds.

Although this morning's article read to me like a player agent firing a warning shot to Queensland, in the hope that they will sharpen their pencil. I wouldn't write him off yet.
Bad for the Reds but great for the Brumbies who actually stand a realistic chance of making the finals next year, plus probably good for the Wallabies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He's (dru edit - reference is Miller) the Chairman not the CEO. Given he doesn't have a CEO he's covering a fair bit of the gap it would seem

He has started recruiting a new CEO given the one he had resigned.

Has there been anymore on this? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, the Reds site has details of the board members but I can't find the operational roles (short of coaching related roles). The stuff being reported would seem to be screaming for a CEO on deck.

This media brief:
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...e-Richard-Barker-to-Step-Down-as-QRU-CEO.aspx

puts David Hanham as interim CEO. How is David going? Things seem tough but it isn't looking good from outside.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I never thought I'd say this but the Reds are getting pretty close to losing me.
You can't expect young men to conform to some mythically high social standard where one wrong step sees you alianated with no path back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sure you can, as long as you are happy playing with half a team and spunking out millions (i assume it's millions?) on paying players to bum around club rugby because they don't satisfy said standards.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

#culture.

I thought the ARU set the price for the 'National interest players' and it was up to the franchises to stump up their share. No room for negotiation.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Also some of these players are friends, and im sure there are at least a couple who aren't thrilled with Thorns behaviour regarding Slipper, Quade, Hunt and others who havn't been around much like Ready and Tuttle.

The punishments have been handed down, accepted and carried out and now the QRU, NRC, ARU, Cheika etc and so on have all said to varying levels that it should be all sweet now with guys like Slips. The only one that isn't sweet is Thorn, due to his own personal issues. I work as a professional coach and I can telll you right now, if I let my 'personal feelings' get in the way of a) success or b) the standing of the company/governing body, then I'm being a bad professional.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Also some of these players are friends, and im sure there are at least a couple who aren't thrilled with Thorns behaviour regarding Slipper, Quade, Hunt and others who havn't been around much like Ready and Tuttle.

The punishments have been handed down, accepted and carried out and now the QRU, NRC, ARU, Cheika etc and so on have all said to varying levels that it should be all sweet now with guys like Slips. The only one that isn't sweet is Thorn, due to his own personal issues. I work as a professional coach and I can telll you right now, if I let my 'personal feelings' get in the way of a) success or b) the standing of the company/governing body, then I'm being a bad professional.

I hadn't seen this article till today:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...-drugs-stand-is-personal-20180713-p4zrei.html

It does speak to me of Thorn not being able/willing to step outside personal feelings and to manage/behave professionally. The Reds can not afford to take an ethical stance of perfection to the commercial and performance detriment of the club.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has there been anymore on this? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, the Reds site has details of the board members but I can't find the operational roles (short of coaching related roles). The stuff being reported would seem to be screaming for a CEO on deck.

This media brief:

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/18251/QRU-Media-Release-Richard-Barker-to-Step-Down-as-QRU-CEO.aspx

puts David Hanham as interim CEO. How is David going? Things seem tough but it isn't looking good from outside.

Hanham is still interim CEO. Don't think I've seen the job actually advertised??? (and I'm scouring the job ads myself at the moment). Have heard they are planning on waiting until around the AGM (October) but can't think why??

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hanham is still interim CEO. Don't think I've seen the job actually advertised??? (and I'm scouring the job ads myself at the moment). Have heard they are planning on waiting until around the AGM (October) but can't think why??

More digging through media releases shows that Miller has been looking overseas. Perhaps a decision is made or more-or-less made but announcements are waiting sensitivities elsewhere?

Let's hope that the delay does not have too much of a detrimental impact as players work through decisions and Thorn presumably continues his "take no prisoners" stance. I don't know Hanham, but reading his CV it's what you'd expect from a Reds operational stalwart - part of the furniture through the period we have been trending downward. Some interesting strengths and wins to the bloke, but it would be unusual for him to grab the thing by the horns right now when he has not done so previously. Especially when in an interim role.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Reg, I notice that the Super Rugby squad has disappeared from the Reds website pending announcement of a new squad and team staff. Are there any updates on player movements that are confirmed? I haven't heard of anyone heading to the Reds that I can recall, lots of rumours of players getting out. and your initial list had quite a few question marks around some of the players.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, I notice that the Super Rugby squad has disappeared from the Reds website pending announcement of a new squad and team staff. Are there any updates on player movements that are confirmed? I haven't heard of anyone heading to the Reds that I can recall, lots of rumours of players getting out. and your initial list had quite a few question marks around some of the players.

haven't heard word of any new signings. Obviously Izzy F was the big name but I hear he's likely to stay put. I suspect we will be relying on our pathway to fill any gaps...of which there could be some big ones.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
haven't heard word of any new signings. Obviously Izzy F was the big name but I hear he's likely to stay put. I suspect we will be relying on our pathway to fill any gaps.of which there could be some big ones.

Thanks Reg. Rumours aside, I see some big gaps particularly in depth in the backs. I looked at the NRC squads as an indicator of who locally might be considered to be in the mix but not really sure where the depth at 10 is and who will be the fullbacks.