• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
SRI - (Selective) Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor. Anti-depressant, occasional used for premature ejaculation too. I can see it.

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
But the Reds were thrown a curve ball on Slipper this year with his contract going through blind, only some days before his two drug test positives were reveal

What are the reporting protocols for the 1,2 & 3 positive drug tests?

I blame Miller

What do you blame Miller for Reg?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But the Reds were thrown a curve ball on Slipper this year with his contract going through blind, only some days before his two drug test positives were reveal

Only the player and medical staff are made aware of the 1st positive test. The 2nd positive test becomes a disciplinary matter and is made public.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

What do you blame Miller for Reg?

The Reds' culture
The QRU debt
the Global Financial Cricis
Global Warming
the Russians

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

If that's not a rhetorical question, the first test result was not required to be disclosed outside of medical staffers - from my reading of it. The second test is made public.

I'm not saying these off-peak trips to the snowfield were the worst thing in the world. Nevertheless, if the administrators had known of those two impending results, they might not have signed the same deal. That's either rightly or wrongly on their behalf - and feel free to pick your case there and argue it.

Then if the player had known of the results and their impeding release during the negotiation, was that player still acting with "loyalty and integrity" and good faith? … or is a case of "It's been done, fuck it, pay the amount due on the letter of the contract"? In which case, is the other party obliged to field him on their team?

But my gut feel is that relations aren't that bad. Slipper will recover from this and his rugby career will be revived. Even if he leaves the Reds that doesn't have to mean he's been screwed over.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I make no excuses for the running of the Reds but they've been a basket case for longer than Thorn or Miller have been in charge.

The re-signing of Cooper by the Reds two years ago was all their own work.

But the Reds were thrown a curve ball on Slipper this year with his contract going through blind, only some days before his two drug test positives were revealed.

I'm all for rehabilitation and a third chance but if Slipper has loyalty and integrity he needs to own that as well.

But is this really so Kiap? Didn't Michael Cheika have a hand in Quade coming back, early iirc. And hasn't he got a RA top up? Seems to me that there were more involved in this stuff up than just the QRU.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
But is this really so Kiap? Didn't Michael Cheika have a hand in Quade coming back, early iirc. And hasn't he got a RA top up? Seems to me that there were more involved in this stuff up than just the QRU.

Quite right.

My point was badly made and poorly phrased. Yes, RA pay their amount and QRU pay theirs.

The contrast I wanted to find was that there was no real surprise with the Cooper deal. IMO they overbid for him.

Maybe it was based on what they knew he could do in the past, who knows. But in reality, how he was playing – both before and after he was signed – he wasn't that player.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Talk the reds are chasing Barnes for next year:

After all but agreeing to move to drama-plagued Queensland, Folau is now said to have backflipped and wants to stay at NSW.
Folau is still working through his contract negotiations but it is expected to take some time to sort out.
Meanwhile, rumours north of the border suggest the Reds are trying to coax back Berrick Barnes to play No.10 for them in 2019.
But with the number of players at Queensland or being linked to Queensland suddenly getting cold feet in the past few weeks, nothing is guaranteed.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/5419ce392758cee3e914b2c2305aedac

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Talk the reds are chasing Barnes for next year:

Surely not, we've just done the Jono Lance/Ben Lucas thing, surely they won't go for another ageing player who once played for Qld and then went to NSW. From my recollection of him as a 10 he kicked a lot rather than get his backline going. It seems to indicate a lack of confidence in Stewart - maybe if he had been given more game time this season the experience he would have gained might have paid off. Not sure why Barnes would want to leave Japan to come back the situation the Reds seem to be in as well.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
On Thorn, I can see why players might be unhappy in the locker room, and I think Slippers treatment could motivate this.

Karmichael second coke incident since coming to union? I think the players could understand that.

Quade being dropped? Again - some of the players might be unhappy with it, but he’s been dropped by other coaches, and he’s certainly not the player he once was. I think they’d understand - even if they don’t agree with - Brads thinking there.

Slipper being excommunicated? I don’t think any of them would understand this. The guys entire life has been Reds rugby and he’s someone the Reds have looked to as a leader quite recently. He’s going through some testing personal circumstances and - from all the sources I have in the sporting world - most of them are all over the Dolphin Dandruff, particularly in the off season. Whilst it’s reasonablt similar to Hunt, I think players would hope that either could work their way back into the squad, and nuance would be applied when dealing with personal mental health issues and club loyalty.

Now onto Hunt - how much reputational risk does a club really risk by signing him? The Waratahs did almost exactly the same thing with Zac Guildford, and people celebrated the fact that they gave him a chance, even if it didn’t work out. They used a one year contract with clauses to get rid of him if he played up, and when he went a bit off the rails, they got rid of him quietly. Did anyone blame the Waratahs? God no. They showed grace and mercy and when Guildford did as Guildford does, it was Guildfords fault and not the Tahs. After all, he has a history of it.

I think every club should throw a reasonable - key word being reasonable - bit of cash at Hunt for a one year stint. If he performs, he performs. If he doesn’t, that’s his fault. Give him a chance at the RWC and then let him fade into European obscurity.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Surely not, we've just done the Jono Lance/Ben Lucas thing, surely they won't go for another ageing player who once played for Qld and then went to NSW. From my recollection of him as a 10 he kicked a lot rather than get his backline going. It seems to indicate a lack of confidence in Stewart - maybe if he had been given more game time this season the experience he would have gained might have paid off. Not sure why Barnes would want to leave Japan to come back the situation the Reds seem to be in as well.

Sookface - please no - that might be the final drop for me, don't think I could handle anymore if that's what happens...