• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Gun or not , he is a huge liability, always take the wrong decisions, defence is average and is not that good under the high ball, also a very poor cover defender, not sure which games you guys were watching but he is a poor talent at 10 and 15.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The ridiculous:
better to develop Perese at 15, daugunu adn CFS on wing, Samu and Jordan in the midfield..and wait for it. DP at 10. McGahan is green, Stewart is crap and tela is well and unknown..

And the sublime:
Seriously !!!! Stewart CRAP???
He and Maddocks are the 2 most talented 10s in the land, not sure which games you are watching. Hamish should be in England now, he is the future.

Stewart is worth persisting with, has shown excellent potential and some solid strengths in his game at 10. Not sure he has the ability to manage a game but he's still young, it's a tough skill to develop, and he is certainly developing.

Pauiaua is also worth consideration but in the 10 jumper I suspect would at least at first be taking us backward. I love Duncan but his options at the Reds are starting to look limited.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He and Maddocks are the 2 most talented 10s in the land, not sure which games you are watching. Hamish should be in England now, he is the future.

Stewart stuff aside, how on this little blue and green ball we live on possibly say that Maddocks in one of the 2 most talented 10's in the land? When has he ever steered a team to a victory at 10, let alone done it on a consistent basis?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pauiaua is also worth consideration but in the 10 jumper I suspect would at least at first be taking us backward. I love Duncan but his options at the Reds are starting to look limited.
I agree - but things never seem to work out as the fans assume though.

Paia’aua has the advantage of already having a coulple years experiencing playing next to Stewart. And there will always be injuries.

Hopefully having a couple of guys like Paia’aua & CFS pushing to nail a starting role will help bring the whole squad on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Josh Nasser, Tom Kibble, Isaac Lucas, Sean Farrell, Michael Wood and Carter Gordon all confirmed with Development contracts.

Anyone know anything about Gicquel? He’s one I don’t want to lose. But I guess with McReight and Kibble it’s hard / wrong to keep all of them.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
better to develop Perese at 15, .

Perese doesn’t even want to be with the reds past this season. His off to rugby league in 2020.

Absolutely no point what’s so ever developing a playmaker spot if his not even in the equation.

I’m not saying let’s bannish Perese to the doghouse like Quade. If he’s good enough in the matchdsy 23 then pick him... but don’t waste a minute of a time developing a 10 or 15 who has no heart and desire to stay in rugby that his signing league contracts 18 months out before the season even starts.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m not saying let’s bannish Perese to the doghouse like Quade.

And then we look for consistency in decision making from the HC. It's just about the definition of "going in a different direction". Not saying I would be banishing Perese, just that I would have started that principle this time last year.

G

GingerBreadCrab

And then we look for consistency in decision making from the HC. It's just about the definition of "going in a different direction". Not saying I would be banishing Perese, just that I would have started that principle this time last year.

There's a big anti-league push coming through at the moment, with academies only allowing boys that play exclusively rugby to participate and athletes that decide to code-hop being really ostracised. I don't get this. We don't have the wealth of talent in our wonderful sport to write ANYONE off. Particularly not freak athletes that are being poached for more money.
I know a counter-argument might be "If they're not prepared to commit to rugby, we won't bother developing them".
For me, that's an obnoxious attitude - it totally ignores the reasons WHY they're going to league in the first place. Some of the most gifted Wallabies of all time played both codes in their youth, today they wouldn't be included in a junior development squad.
I understand trying to ring-fence our code, but it doesn't make sense. There are so many other issues that need to be addressed before we make the game seem even more "elitist".

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I understand trying to ring-fence our code, but it doesn't make sense. There are so many other issues that need to be addressed before we make the game seem even more "elitist".

Fukn idiots gotta fukn idiot. And they may even get away with it for a bit, to the extent 'get away with it' disregards the loss of talented players falling foul of this piece of prime fukn idiocy.

If this persists for a while, tho', it's likely someone will challenge it in court. And even if the fukn idiots were to win, it would cost money they don't got.

B

Bobby Sands

Josh Nasser, Tom Kibble, Isaac Lucas, Sean Farrell, Michael Wood and Carter Gordon all confirmed with Development contracts.

Anyone know anything about Gicquel? He’s one I don’t want to lose. But I guess with McReight and Kibble it’s hard / wrong to keep all of them.

How does Michel Wood play lock at 192/108?? Must be a hell of an athlete.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Agree with Stewart, not so sure about Maddocks... the few games I’ve seen him at 10 were uninspiring. He’ll be a very good 15

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I think Wood is similar to ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in the sense that he's just a very good rugby player and they aren't sure were is best position lies but can fit him in at lock

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, nice one. Not sure of it's practical use - its 5 mins long.

Anyway, looking ahead to next year and I remain quietly excited. Until I get to the fullback position. It's our most glaring issue I reckon. Not sure what the thinking is. Whether its Toua or McGahan will walk straight in or whether they will try Paia'aua or Petaia or Daugunu. None of which excite me overly.

A top class goal kicker too, but we can get around that somewhat. Fullback, however, concerns me.

B

Bobby Sands

yep, nice one. Not sure of it's practical use - its 5 mins long.

Anyway, looking ahead to next year and I remain quietly excited. Until I get to the fullback position. It's our most glaring issue I reckon. Not sure what the thinking is. Whether its Toua or McGahan will walk straight in or whether they will try Paia'aua or Petaia or Daugunu. None of which excite me overly.

A top class goal kicker too, but we can get around that somewhat. Fullback, however, concerns me.

So it should.

Where in gods name Jesse Mogg when you need him?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Tupou needs to have a big preseason, he's put on some weight while away with the wallabies

Makes you wonder what they get up to in camp , a few of them including TT came back heavy from the July Tests.

A buffet at every team meeting maybe?