• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I
Rumored to be lazy and was on Brad's "not in our new direction" list. Played the 2018 season at Easts - I have seen somewhere here on G&GR that he has a lifeline at Force next season.

Lets hope he can turn it around. If in form, I'd prefer him to any of the hookers we currently have.

B

Bobby Sands

Looks a solid enough highlights reel - and happy for them to be resourceful to fill any gaps in the roster - but surely 13 is the position we have best covered? Even if he also covers wing, I'm not sure he is on the shopping list.

Doesn't he have incredible timing in defense?

That's natural that timing, it's not technique.

I think he looks solid - more than happy to have him on a tiny contract.

When are we signing Gill?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I notice we have a new Jersey manufacturer.

Dynasty Sport are making them.

Reds website claiming you can pre order and get mid December delivery. This would be nice but is cutting the timeline a bit short. How is it that a supposedly professional team has no jerseys that can be purchased 26 days out from Christmas, they still have to be pre ordered.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’m not sure we’ll see Petaia at 13 unless injury forces it. I think the Reds are quite aware he’ll only be 19 next year and, as talented as he is, won’t be rushing him into the hardest defensive position in the back line.

B

Bobby Sands

I’m not sure we’ll see Petaia at 13 unless injury forces it. I think the Reds are quite aware he’ll only be 19 next year and, as talented as he is, won’t be rushing him into the hardest defensive position in the back line.

I think the defensive difficulties at 13 are overstated.

Sure, you have to make the most decisions because you are at the choke point between the inside backs and back three, so you need to make more "decisions" as opposed to blind line speed, but at the end of thats all they are, decisions, and communicating with inside and outside of you.

It requires more intelligence than defending at 12, but wing defense is comolicated in it own ways.

I dont think any footballer at this level in the world would be overly concerned, or anxious about playing 13. The reality is he has the rare skillset to be a complete 13 and because of that will need to play 13 for the health of the backline.

Otherwise we will have this fragmented backline that we have now, where the inside backs do not connect with the outside backs.

Kerevi plays 13 almost like a rugby league backrower. Which is fine, and examples like Ben Teo show that it works.

But its not an ideal state.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Sure, you have to make the most decisions because you are at the choke point between the inside backs and back three, so you need to make more "decisions" as opposed to blind line speed, but at the end of thats all they are, decisions, and communicating with inside and outside of you.

It requires more intelligence than defending at 12, but wing defense is comolicated in it own ways.

I dont think any footballer at this level in the world would be overly concerned, or anxious about playing 13. The reality is he has the rare skillset to be a complete 13 and because of that will need to play 13 for the health of the backline.

Otherwise we will have this fragmented backline that we have now, where the inside backs do not connect with the outside backs.

Kerevi plays 13 almost like a rugby league backrower. Which is fine, and examples like Ben Teo show that it works.

But its not an ideal state.

I want Kerevi at 12 to develop his ball playing skills. CFS at 13 until he gets injured with Jordie on the wing until that point.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
At this level they should all be able to tackle, the "difficulty" with 13 is choosing who you should tackle, definitely not as simple as rushing up hard and just tackling the bloke on your outside shoulder, decisions need to be made and that's where defensive patterns, communication and "staying connected" are your allies. Peter Ryan will make a difference in that area this year.

Really think Jordan has what it takes to be a long term 13, whether that journey starts this year or the next will come down to the coach, but it will happen ( hopefully ) .

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I want Kerevi at 12 to develop his ball playing skills. CFS at 13 until he gets injured with Jordie on the wing until that point.

I think Kerevi should develop the skills then be selected at 12.

This is the problem with Aussie Rugby, we pick player who dont have the skill set and expect them to learn it at the top level

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

Experience appears to help, but it seems that most players either "get" how to defend at 13, or they don't.

Totally agree re: decisions. Nobody could watch Kerevi play and say he is not a technically effective tackler. Kerevi puts in key tackles with the same effectiveness as Kuridrani, Goodhue, Davies, Ringrose, etc. His issues are his positioning and his timing; he gets both wrong routinely.

While these don't go away at 12 or on the wing, they're less obvious: a 12 who rushes up, or a winger who stands his ground, at the wrong time will generally have a winger, the 13, or the fullback to cover. While the 13 still has the fullback as cover, successfully breaking the line where the 13 is defending will generally provide space for supporting players, whereas doing the same out wide exposes you to cover-defenders and the touchline.

I want Kerevi at 12 to develop his ball playing skills.

Totally agree. Having DP also lets you play horses-for-courses, or just have a good impact off the bench. Play Petaia at 13 and watch a brick wall form in the backline.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Kuridrani was routinely criticised for his defensive decision making early in his career and has now become a very assured defender.

Kerevi’s decision making has improved. And it should be noted that anyone who can improve in the current Australian system is doing something right. By the same token he already has plenty of good characteristics to play 12.

It will be interesting to see how things unfold and what impact McKay has on our attack. Hopefully everyone stays fit and the competition for spots brings out the best in the players.

B

Bobby Sands

I sent the Reds a note saying that they should take cues from the AFL teams on producing off season content very regularly.

They told me the cameras were a distraction.

RIP Rugby.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I sent the Reds a note saying that they should take cues from the AFL teams on producing off season content very regularly.

They told me the cameras were a distraction.

RIP Rugby.

I know a AFL marketing person - used to do Rugby. Says the AFL is ridiculously more professional. There was a forum in Melbourne where all leading teams share advice and secrets. Something like that video, they prepare the script and the content etc, then 1 person just goes down at gets all the footage they need in 1 go in about 30 minutes.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
What a cop out. The marketing team would be no more of a distraction to the teams training then the team analysts and outside media! Such an easy way to provide more of a connection to the members/fans. Such an ignorant and arrogant outlook from them.

Agree with upthereds#!, AFL teams are fantastic with creating content. I follow the Brisbane Lions on most of the socials and I know a hell of a lot more about their players, training sessions, injury updates etc than I do our Reds. And I'm 10x the Rugby (and Reds) fan!