• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Reds have confirmed Sefa for 2019

Nice, I'll take that trade off with Perese clearly not wanting to be a part of Rugby any more.

Curious, does anyone recall the last player who we recruited from another Australian Super Rugby Franchise that was capped as a Wallaby while playing for that team? Douglas and JOC (James O'Connor) don't count as they were from O/S coming back to Aus.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just curious, on the front page Teti Tela is listed as contracted & then listed as gone. Then there's no mention of young Jayden Ngamanu, a young man with oodles of talent, contracted this year but has apparently moved on or not had his contract renewed? According to a Fox Sports article on player movements. Anyone know anything?

Don't quote me on this but i believe young Ngamanu was also linked to a QLD Cup side, maybe Souths Logan or Ipswich from memory.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nice, I'll take that trade off with Perese clearly not wanting to be a part of Rugby any more.

Curious, does anyone recall the last player who we recruited from another Australian Super Rugby Franchise that was capped as a Wallaby while playing for that team? Douglas and JOC (James O'Connor) don't count as they were from O/S coming back to Aus.

Lockie Turner.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Don't quote me on this but i believe young Ngamanu was also linked to a QLD Cup side, maybe Souths Logan or Ipswich from memory.

Jeez, I hope he hasn't turned to the dark side, can't find anything with a google. Lots of potential there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

David Pocock and Michael Hooper might be examples, though probably not most recent.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I read an article (can’t remember where) that he is only signed to redcliff who is the feeder club but will train with the broncos for a full time contract in 2020, if this is true seems like a very backwards step

Got to be more to it than that - sounds like a contractual arrangement to get out of his Reds contract. Interesting that neither Redcliffe or Broncos are mentioning anything. Reds squad still shows Perese on there, but as Penguin mentioned, Teti Tela has disappeared but signings like Matt McGahan haven't appeared on there so I guess they are not quick on updating it.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Got to be more to it than that - sounds like a contractual arrangement to get out of his Reds contract. Interesting that neither Redcliffe or Broncos are mentioning anything. Reds squad still shows Perese on there, but as Penguin mentioned, Teti Tela has disappeared but signings like Matt McGahan haven't appeared on there so I guess they are not quick on updating it.

I’m sure there’s a handshake agreement in there that he will either get nrl time this year during injury/origin or a guaranteed contract next year but it still is a downgrade and a bit of a risk. Broncos could turn around tomorrow and say “sorry we just signed X player and you’re only signed for redcliff so you won’t be getting any 1st grade time”....surely he’d be better off cementing his place in Union for another year or two, look at his options, if he is wallaby contention stay if not get a guaranteed 1st grade contract with broncos

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just curious, on the front page Teti Tela is listed as contracted & then listed as gone. Then there's no mention of young Jayden Ngamanu, a young man with oodles of talent, contracted this year but has apparently moved on or not had his contract renewed? According to a Fox Sports article on player movements. Anyone know anything?

Tela has been signed.

Ngamanu hasn’t.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, do you know what the background to the Perese departure was? I know it has been talked about for a while but was it that he just preferred to go back to league or had some falling out in rugby? I liked him as a player and apart from his injuries he seemed to be getting the opportunities and making the most of them.

I don’t know mate. He comes from a league background so suspect he’s just returning to that. He had his first bub last year, and you’d think more will be on the way. That super rugby travel (and wallabies) can be hard on a young family.

Good luck to him.

B

Bobby Sands

I have never really rated Sefa, and he will never be a complete player, but he had moments on the Spring Tour of looking very good in contact, and a good finisher.

For next season, this is an upgrade given that Perese has been injured for two years basically.

Tate
Stewart
Sefa
Kerevi/Duncan
Petaia
Daugunu
Hunt

This is actually a good backline ^^ with Sautia, Moses and to be honest not much left in the cupboard.

Pasitoa as weird as it sounds should probably be signed right now.

I am very bullish on our forward back, but would love a few experienced heads to join them.

Another Dan Braid would be incredible.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have never really rated Sefa, and he will never be a complete player, but he had moments on the Spring Tour of looking very good in contact, and a good finisher.

For next season, this is an upgrade given that Perese has been injured for two years basically.

Tate
Stewart
Sefa
Kerevi/Duncan
Petaia
Daugunu
Hunt

This is actually a good backline ^^ with Sautia, Moses and to be honest not much left in the cupboard.

Pasitoa as weird as it sounds should probably be signed right now.

I am very bullish on our forward back, but would love a few experienced heads to join them.

Another Dan Braid would be incredible.

I thought it had been established that Hunt wouldn’t be getting a run.

B

Bobby Sands

I thought it had been established that Hunt wouldn’t be getting a run.

It hasn't been stated officially. But on the basis of BT precedent, you would think its unlikely.

Just so hard to put someone else there when looking at the available players.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just like Cooper & Slipper, Hunt will be leaving the Reds this season. Looks almost certain to join the Tahs for 2019

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just like Cooper & Slipper, Hunt will be leaving the Reds this season. Looks almost certain to join the Tahs for 2019

So on both books

There is some water to go under the bridge yet. Cooper's move to the Rebels was a drawn-out process as Rugby Australia tried to broker a deal that satisfied both Queensland and Melbourne. Hunt's move would presumably go down a similar path, with NSW agreeing to take on a portion of Hunt's salary and the Reds keeping the remainder on their books.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Good shout

Although I believe Ignoto was originally using we to refer to Qweensland

Not in the style of the royal "we", but putting his own stamp on it

Either way I'm not sure Simmons counts - iirc he was released by the reds before signing with the tahs, not exactly the same thing as the rest

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Good shout

Although I believe Ignoto was originally using we to refer to Qweensland

Not in the style of the royal "we", but putting his own stamp on it

After all, we are in the QUEENSLAND Rugby teams thread ;)