• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah that's Eadie.

Played a bit of colts and 1.5 seasons of prems at uni since finishing school. Bloody fast with a nose for the try line. Struggles a bit defensively. Reports are that he is a pretty good kid, maybe a little bit of a big head and fond of a beer. Essentially the same profile as almost every other young back that's been promoted straight from school to the Reds system in the last decade. Jury is out on his ability to be a good Super Rugby player.

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah that's Eadie.

Played a bit of colts and 1.5 seasons of prems at uni since finishing school. Bloody fast with a nose for the try line. Struggles a bit defensively. Reports are that he is a pretty good kid, maybe a little bit of a big head and fond of a beer. Essentially the same profile as almost every other young back that's been promoted straight from school to the Reds system in the last decade. Jury is out on his ability to be a good Super Rugby player.

He certainly has the tools though.

You can't put in what god left out after all.

B

Bobby Sands

We could do far worse than to bring Jarrad Butler home...

Captaining Connacht, and becoming a club legend.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
really? Who?

Sorry for the late post but: Faagase, Ready, Vanzati, Hewat, Perese, Ngamanu, Gunn Wilkin, Jooste, Laloifi, Fines all notable players gone from Qld rugby Tuttle & Paia'aua will also be gone at the end of season, my observation is that they are all within that 23/24ish bracket.. eg 3 x Hookers 22 & under, Locks all 22 & under, Loose Forwards 5 from 7 22 & under. Reds halfs until recently 22 & under.. Again just my observation.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sorry for the late post but: Faagase, Ready, Vanzati, Hewat, Perese, Ngamanu, Gunn Wilkin, Jooste, Laloifi, Fines all notable players gone from Qld rugby Tuttle & Paia'aua will also be gone at the end of season, my observation is that they are all within that 23/24ish bracket.. eg 3 x Hookers 22 & under, Locks all 22 & under, Loose Forwards 5 from 7 22 & under. Reds halfs until recently 22 & under.. Again just my observation.

Tuttle?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Sorry for the late post but: Faagase, Ready, Perese,

I can't comment on the rest of the names you mentioned LB, but for these 3;
- Sef lost his starting spot when the twins emerged over the last couple of years.
- Ready was dropped by Stiles for disciplinary reasons and then BPA and Mafi took advantage and locked down the starting and reserve spot.
- Perese appears to have wanted to go to League for the last two seasons. I don't blame Brad for his departure.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Hewat stuffed up, Ngamanu was too small and the others that I was going to include have been addressed by previous posts (Wilkin/Jooste post was funny) The reality is that if you haven’t cemented a place by 23 then the next generation will move up and you have to move on

B

Bobby Sands

Perese sinking the boots into the Reds in his first media interview with the Broncs;

-Said he threw up the first session from the intensity and nearly a few sessions after that.

"Perese said his first session last month was hard work but he was now getting used to the grind of an NRL pre-season." Broncos Media.

-Said he had never been part of an environment like it.

"I haven't been in a training environment like this... as professional as this.. I'm really enjoying it." Perese.

He seems genuinely stoked, so I wish him all the best.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
"I haven't been in a training environment like this. as professional as this.. I'm really enjoying it." Perese.

I'm not surprised by this whatsoever. The Broncos are one of the 'richest' sporting clubs in Australia and are heavily propped up by the Pokies. Compared to the Reds who are on the verge of bankruptcy. Anecdotally, I've heard stories from players that they've had to drive to Kelvin Grove to get food after training because it 'ran' out.... Compare this to the true professional sporting clubs like at the EPL and it's sub-par.

B

Bobby Sands

I'm not surprised by this whatsoever. The Broncos are one of the 'richest' sporting clubs in Australia and are heavily propped up by the Pokies. Compared to the Reds who are on the verge of bankruptcy. Anecdotally, I've heard stories from players that they've had to drive to Kelvin Grove to get food after training because it 'ran' out.. Compare this to the true professional sporting clubs like at the EPL and it's sub-par.

I dont think you need to have money to work hard and spew up.

Look at the condition of the Broncos compared to the Reds / Wallabies.

Surely if we can't get the talent, we can at least train harder.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I dont think you need to have money to work hard and spew up.

Look at the condition of the Broncos compared to the Reds / Wallabies.

Surely if we can't get the talent, we can at least train harder.

I think the point I was trying to make kind of went right by you. I didn't say anything about how hard the players work and whether they throw up. Perhaps the Broncos make their players have weetbix and milk before doing cardio whereas the reds just have a bowl of light bircher?

B

Bobby Sands

I think the point I was trying to make kind of went right by you. I didn't say anything about how hard the players work and whether they throw up. Perhaps the Broncos make their players have weetbix and milk before doing cardio whereas the reds just have a bowl of light bircher?

That your line of reasoning/logic?

Ok.

The point is it doesn't cost money or having your lunch prepared for you to work hard.

Maybe our coaches can do some cross-pollination of ideas on at least the physical conditioning elements with our friendly neighbor.

Anthony Seibold sounds like the real deal.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
That your line of reasoning/logic?

Ok.

The point is it doesn't cost money or having your lunch prepared for you to work hard.

Maybe our coaches can do some cross-pollination of ideas on at least the physical conditioning elements with our friendly neighbor.

Anthony Seibold sounds like the real deal.

And Perese an a grade d*ckhead. Even someone like Wendell Sailor went back to league he didn't bag rugby out

B

Bobby Sands

And Perese an a grade d*ckhead. Even someone like Wendell Sailor went back to league he didn't bag rugby out

Why should rugby be protected from being "bagged out?"

I think we can all admit that rugby league, from a performance basis, is more professional than rugby.

Why are we okay with this?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not okay with it Bobby Sands. Although it is not unusual for a code switched to do an interview talking up the new environment and/or the sections of the media who are aligned with league deriding rugby whenever possible (I do remember Wendell doing at least one such interview). However, I do agree that league on the whole is much more professionaly run and I would be surprised if their S&C programs weren’t more professionally run. (Cheika has bemoaned the poor physical preparation of our players for years and gets bagged for it). I would have thought finances/resources would certainly play their part.

I have a question though. Does the blame sit solely with the organisation or do the players share the blame?

I have heard rumours for years that players at the Reds only trained as hard as they wanted to and that this was led by the senior player group. I’ve heard that certain players were very adept at dodging the hard work. You appear to have some contacts there - is this truth or fiction.

It is a genuine question - I am reliant on third hard info & I’m not close enough to anyone there to know personally. So if anyone in the know wants to correct what I have been told go for it.