• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Kerevi, 25, said Thorn’s hard line on culture and standards sat well with him, but hoped he could lighten the coach’s load by setting the tone himself.
“In the past I wouldn’t say it wasn’t policed well, but sometimes we’d let standards drop and wouldn’t pick it up as a playing group,” he said.
“I want us to be player-driven, guys picking up on each other on certain things.”

Good noise from Kerevi here, but will have to wait and see if it is backed up with action. Maintaining standards is hard and requires mental discipline, we can all relate to it in our own personal lives I guess.
I feel a bit for some of these guys, who would easily be pulled into a bubble of semi fame, popularity with women etc on nights out. It would be easy to have it get to your head and turn into a bit of a lazy, partying young bloke. We've all been there.
I think it's interesting that a lot of Reds unwanted seem to do so well in Canberra etc. I think it's actually partly the geography and culture of Canberra - it would be easier to be a pro athlete and concentrate hard on the team because there's just less to do. Compare that to Brisbane where half the Reds end up at Fridays and The Vic after a game etc, you can see why it would be easy to slide into bad habits. Hopefully the whole playing group can go hard at being professionals this year
Canberra has its own nightlife, people end up at Mooseheads, I think the difference usually is that they move away from home and there friends who are young guys not in professional sports who are out partying.. Hard to stay away when your mates give you a call to come out.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Canberra has its own nightlife, people end up at Mooseheads, I think the difference usually is that they move away from home and there friends who are young guys not in professional sports who are out partying.. Hard to stay away when your mates give you a call to come out.

think you just emphasized the point, one "popular" bar/crappy club for a whole city.

B

Bobby Sands

Reg, didn't the Smith twins have a bit of bar trouble (brawl) when they were in Canberra?

They are two enormous bushies from Toowoomba via South Africa, I am sure they have had a few beers and made a few grumbles in waterholes a few times.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
They are two enormous bushies from Toowoomba via South Africa, I am sure they have had a few beers and made a few grumbles in waterholes a few times.

I met the Smith brothers just recently, very courteous young men. Full of respect and genuinely humourous. I would have liked to have a few beers with them but they weren't drinking

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We don't need this type of negativety dragging us down mate. They're Drop Bear food this year!

Thorn holds high standards. After years of Reds mine are low.

But let Thorn prove it. No excuses, not another “trial” year, no more player $ on the side cause he’s “doing a different direction”.

Times up.

Don’t have anymore expectation than a 5 year plan from when Thorn took the job to go deep in finals. Year 2. Let it be consistent with that.

If you don’t get the positivity and flexibility that I give Thorn with this statement, I am unable to explain it to your satisfaction.

The shit is up. Proof on the table. Don’t need big improvement here, but I sure as hell need some improvement. Actually no negativity here, proof on the table must catch 10% of what I expect QRU pro team should achieve. 10% this year. End of.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm confused.

Not sure what expect from me here. “Easily” perhaps?

Sully, buddy, you drop in enthusing positivity; my response to our expectations, is let them be proven. The essence is simple. And I’m not holding a high bar, a very low bar in fact. And I’m still ambivalent.

I’ll be happy to see mild improvement. But I demand a mild improvement.

Then push it from there - this is not a season to expect, I don’t know, finals footy.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...l/news-story/a0058f3cac1850286d26c9804a0f56b1

Well, call it off ladies and gentlemen. THe Reds are the official Super Rugby 2019 Champions!

Always funny the offseason is the the time where as a fan you think.

Well they have addressed some new players.
So and So should be better this year.
If we had just gotten over the line in this game (Rebels Send off) the season might have been different. etc.

You tend to forget the Sunwolves away.
Lack of attack.
Lack of direction.
Lack of game management.
Crusaders first up.

Don't get me wrong Red until I die but if we finish at 50% this year and resign Samu I will be happy