• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Turtle

Bob McCowan (2)
Until Oz rugby loses its GPS old rugby heritage, it will always be 2nd best to the kiwi juggernaut. Similar to QLD vs NSW in State of Origin. Heart and heritage will always prevail.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Any thoughts on how the Reds will manage resting Wallabies for the World Cup?

I was thinking about this yesterday and wondering if you are better off resting all Wallabies for a game against a great opponent that you would probably lose as the resting wont really have an impact on the win/loss ratio or are you better off resting one at a time and having multiple weeks where you are below strength and could risk losing to a team you should beat?

What direction would RA give to the Reds, do they decide the details or do the Reds?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Wallabies you probably have to deal with are Tupou, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda, Timu, Kerevi, Petaia, and Naivalu.
  • Ruan can cover for Tupou.
  • You'll have to do whatever you can to avoid resting LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Rodda at the same time, as you only have Blyth and Hockings to cover. Injury may force you to play someone out of position, or just to keep both locks on the field for 80 minutes.
  • Timu is covered by pretty much every backrower.
  • Kerevi and Petaia depends on how you're setting up the team. If they both start in the centres, then you have to rest one at a time and probably bring in Paia'aua.
  • Naivalu is covered by almost every other back.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd be amazed if there was that level of planning for the whole resting program. It feels very ad hoc.

Probably the latter; all indications suggest that Kuridrani won't be required to rest through the season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are they resting in preparation, or only if they didn't get enough rest from the OS tour last year?

that's the question. I assumed it was the latter.

I think Lukhan will want as much rugby as possible, considering the amount he missed last year. If it's in terms of quantity and rest on the back of last year I think it's only really Taniela and Rodda

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You'd think resting on away trips OS would provide the best rest opportunity. I'd think Kerevi could stay home from SA, so rest two games and Tupou and Rodda could miss the trip to Japan.

Everyone else could play each week.

There needs to be a plan in place and it should be looked at as an opportunity to use some you guys and test them out rather than just resting Wallabies. The reason the Kiwi's are so strong is that the guys who come in grab the chance with both hands and make it hard for the coaches to drop them. Chance to build depth for the future.

I'd really like it if we had a squad based attitude this year. Give guys a chance with 10-20 mins at the end of a match to get a feel for Super Rugby. In the past we have waited until the have to start with no idea how they would go.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Rodda, TT, Kerevi would be the only ones impacted right?

The scary part is if they want to rest "possibles" as well. The Wallaby squads start with a really large squad, surely they are only really going to want the probable starting 15 plus 2 or three others to rest?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The scary part is if they want to rest "possibles" as well. The Wallaby squads start with a really large squad, surely they are only really going to want the probable starting 15 plus 2 or three others to rest?

It may change a bit as the season progresses and no doubt some people move up or down in the pecking order and some get injured.

It's very difficult to ask that players who aren't guaranteed a spot get rested as they are fighting to prove their case.

It seems like key players will be asked to be rested for two matches and others for one match.

I can't imagine there are more than 30 people total on the list at this stage. Probably half of those would only have the one match rest requirement.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The reason the Kiwi's are so strong is that the guys who come in grab the chance with both hands and make it hard for the coaches to drop them. Chance to build depth for the future.

Helps that their young guys who come in are generally much better than our young guys.

Considering the squad makeup and the attrition rate in Super Rugby throughout a season.. we'll be seeing plenty of young guys getting time regardless of the RWC cycle.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
  • You'll have to do whatever you can to avoid resting LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Rodda at the same time, as you only have Blyth and Hockings to cover. Injury may force you to play someone out of position, or just to keep both locks on the field for 80 minutes.

Surprised to stop and think only 4 lock options at the Reds.

Can Korczyk cover?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The wallabies are in no position to rest players and honestly why should they?

Wallabies are a joke with pretty much no hope at competing in Japan.

I think it’s more beneficial for the game these guys play super rugby. Try and get some wins on the board and fans back in seat. I’ll be disappointed if the players are rested tbh cause they have not earned the right to be treated like superstars.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I also think most of the resting should be done at the Tah's. Hooper, Foley, Beale and Issy probably played the most rugby last year. Reds didn't really have the same issue.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The wallabies are in no position to rest players and honestly why should they?

Wallabies are a joke with pretty much no hope at competing in Japan.

I think it’s more beneficial for the game these guys play super rugby. Try and get some wins on the board and fans back in seat. I’ll be disappointed if the players are rested tbh cause they have not earned the right to be treated like superstars.

Do you not think that part of our problem potentially is that we get to the test season and some of our key players have played the equivalent of 3 or more whole games more than their opposition player over the course of the season?

This is a weird take. Sure, let's work our best players into the ground and wonder why they all look half broken by the time we get to the RWC whilst our opposition look pretty fresh.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I also think most of the resting should be done at the Tah's. Hooper, Foley, Beale and Issy probably played the most rugby last year. Reds didn't really have the same issue.

Absolutely. Those guys played too many minutes last year (except Hooper but that was due to injury. Generally he plays way too many minutes each season though).