• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

dru

Tim Horan (67)
he didn't show much on Saturday nigh and I thought Kerevi looked weaker out wide.

As much as I don't rate CFS, I am prepared to say he's not a winger. I'd probably prefer CFS to 13, Kerevi at 12 and Daugunu starts,.

I would love to argue with you Reg. Can't though. Love DP but he has shed loads in front of him this year.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I thought CFS was woeful off the ball. Watch the second try. As soon as saders break the line he jogs. That was 9 minutes in. Still has no urgency unless the ball is in his hand

Bizarre, after all this time. I thought that the 'hard work culture' or whatever it is called under Thorn was meant to stop this. Maybe CFS needs to 'believe' more.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would love to argue with you Reg. Can't though. Love DP but he has shed loads in front of him this year.
I thought he was our best back in both the trials.

I can see the appeal in leaving Kerevi at 12 and I agree DP struggled to make an impression on Saturday night, but given how the overall game went i recon they could do worse then name him at 12.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I agree. He’s terrible as a winger at least.

Will he better at 13? Unlikely I guess.
Naivalu could move to centre couldn't he? Bring Daugunu in to replace him, then we still have the problem of CFS on the wing - the other wingers/outside backs in the squad (Eadie, Campbell) look fairly inexperienced apart from Toua. Is he back from injury?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Bizarre, after all this time. I thought that the 'hard work culture' or whatever it is called under Thorn was meant to stop this. Maybe CFS needs to 'believe' more.

I thought the rest showed plenty of ticker, chasing etc. That moment really stood out (and the replay) so i watched him closely for the next 10 or so.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I thought CFS was woeful off the ball. Watch the second try. As soon as saders break the line he jogs. That was 9 minutes in. Still has no urgency unless the ball is in his hand

Agree - CFS has the worst defensive chase I've ever seen..,.

So likely backline for the Tahs of:

Sorovi (I still prefer McDermott but Thorn likes the former)
CFS
Stewart
Kerevi
DP
Sefa
Heggarty

Isn't really a great drop although I'd like the centres swapped.....

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I don't know if I trust Duncan's defensive decision making at 13 - his worst attribute is a tendency to shoot out and get the call wrong.

Petaia being injured so quickly really fucking sucks.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't believe that DP is really useful at 13. His best games have been when he is at 12.

If Petaia is injured then it is probably better to put an actual 13 in the 13 channel than a 12 trying to play 13. That means it should probably be CFS, but I would be happier if the reds could find any other 13 running around anywhere. I have almost zero time for the guy as he repeatedly has put in just about zero effort over the years.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Surely the most obvious solution is to move Kerevi back.

It might not be ideal but it doesn’t help anyone to play DP completely out of position.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd bring CFS into 13 and then move Daugunu onto the wing. Just never really been sold on DP.

Next game is against the Tahs, so i'd rather have as many players in the side that are going to physically win the contest as possible. Plus with Hunt most likely at 13, the threat of him getting on the outside of his opposite 13 is slim as hes more of a player that goes into contact.

There is also the fact i'd rather find a spot for Daugunu in the side than Paia'aua and with Hegarty at 15 there is no need for a 3rd ball player.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Will be an interesting tactical battle on the weekend. I suspect Hunt will follow Kerevi all over the field no matter what number each has on their back.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think he looked disinterested and when he made mistakes did not really look dissapointed in himself.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Shame if CFS has lost his urgency. Last year I thought we saw a totally different guy to the one we had seen since he was 18. He would chase everything. Maybe he needs a few games to get his head right. I'd love for him to get back to the sort of form he was showing pre injury last year.

I think they have a couple of options moving forward:

- drop Stewart and play Herarty / DP at 10/15 with big centre combo of kerevi and cfs. Niavalu and daunganu on the stings.

- Stewart, DP, Kerevi 10, 12, 13. The rest the same.

- Stewart, kerevi, CFS. 10, 12, 13. The rest the same.

Genuine gas on the wings which is nice if we can create an extra meter or 2 for them to move in.

The 3 options above also let us play the game slightly differently with each combo which I quite like for changing tactics game to game or after subs.

Damn shame the young fella has gone down. For the reds and wallabies I think.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Sorry mate but this really annoys me, you're criticising the wrong player, and you've now got other people criticising him based off your comments.

The winger you are referring to is Naivalu, he made an ineffective tackle and then jogged, Hamish Stewart started behind him and ran past him in the chase. If Sefa actually put in he could have made the tackle because Hamish almost stopped the try. I noticed because and its not the first time I've been unimpressed with his follow up efforts, he did it in one of the trial matches as well.

Rugger Mate

Allen Oxlade (6)
ADAM84 your right mate, Sefa put in a piss poor effort in that second try, He should have easily run down the player who scored. Had a 5 metre start on Stewart and came in 10 behind! Over rated when he doesn't have the ball in hand

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hopefulyl Toua is back from injury for a bit more speed late in the game, but pretty sure they will keep Kerevi at 12 (though I disagree)

1. Smith 2. Amosa 3. Thor
4. Rodda 5. Tui
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 8. Higs 7. Wright
9. Sorovi 10. Stewart 11. Daugunu 12. Kerevi 13. CFS 14. Naivalu 15. Hegarty
16. Mafi 17. Fotuaika 18. Smith 19. Hockings 20. Timu 21. Mcdermott 22. DP 23. Toua