• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

B

Bobby Sands

I have played with and watched Lucas play his whole life. Can play any role from 10,12 and 15 and would do a job in any other position.

After speaking with the other Reds players, Hardy is a 13 who can play 15 and wing.

Get your facts right.

Let’s see where they end up buttercup.

My original thought if it was too hard for you to pick up one was why is Hardy on the bench if Lucas is being played at fullback and Hegarty at 10?

Then I thought well it is obviously because they either don't want Lucas to play a full game or for him to go into 10 and Hardy to the back.

I admit, and I didn't think of this initially, that maybe it is a contingency for Duncan going poorly and then to trial him at 13 with Samu at 12. If he can connect the inside backs, with the outside backs like Jordy then that would be very interesting.

And maybe it's both.

Look forward to having a better look at him.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think you’re overthinking it.
Lucas is starting because he earned it, Hegarty is at 10 brings maturity to the halves

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think you’re overthinking it.
Lucas is starting because he earned it, Hegarty is at 10 brings maturity to the halves

I don’t see it as overthinking it at all - these selections and the positions/style they play speak directly to the style and strategy of the entire team. It has the look of something quite different than the first game. Depending on how it is intended to play out.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I don’t see it as overthinking it at all - these selections and the positions/style they play speak directly to the style and strategy of the entire team. It has the look of something quite different than the first game. Depending on how it is intended to play out.

I dunno, I don't really expect them to stop kicking the shit out of the ball at every single possible junction. Seems like the side is pretty committed to that particular set of tactics.

We should have set piece ascendancy and NSW's kicking is also awful so I don't know why they'd pick this week to deviate. Even if we are still shit at kicking it, so is NSW and they'll probably still give us plenty of opportunity to work a counter attacking game off of this, which is really what you want your kicking efforts breeding for you in modern rugby anyway.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ball player that covers 10, 12 and 15 i guess. Only player i can think off that covers those 3.

I got what you were implying.

I haven't seen Lucas play a huge amount but he does play with plenty of aggression which makes up for his lack of size. That said, his height is very similar to a lot of players who will play 10/12 as a playmaker or 15 and he will definitely bulk up over the next couple of years.

It depends on the game you want to play but he could definitely be that second playmaker at 12.

I don't know where he'll end up through his career. It's pretty standard for a star schoolboy like him to play 10 at school but that might not end up being his best position going forward. Beale was also a star 10 at school and it is clearly the worst of his three positions.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Having watched a bit of Lucas at school I'd say he's a 10 but can see him playing in a few different positions as he establishes a spot in the team. It seemed he played everywhere in the Sunnybank backline last year.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have played with and watched Lucas play his whole life. Can play any role from 10,12 and 15 and would do a job in any other position.

After speaking with the other Reds players, Hardy is a 13 who can play 15 and wing.

Get your facts right.

I though you were Issac old man!, hey mate how you been?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

You’re comment isn’t in context to the comment I originally replied to, what you’ve said isn’t what I was addressing.

On your comment though it’s not really that different to the first round, in the first game they had a fullback who could play fly-half and tried to use Kerevi as a ball distributor at 12. In Rd 4 they have a fullback who can play fly-half and Duncan at 12 as a ball distributor. Shape of their attacking lineup hasn’t really changed that much.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
stories go that he was very close to being picked in the RWC squad on the back of this performance but they opted for Berrick Barnes instead, who made his debut for Wales soon after when Larkham was a late injury pull out (if I recall)

Doesn't surprise me. He was awesome that day.

Pretty sure Rodzilla had three tries and a yellow card all before half time. Bank had Holmsy, Diggers, Nick Berry and Tim Sampson to name a few while GC had a 56yr old Garrick Morgan and the silky Swede Lloyd Johansson.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Berry was a really good 9 for the Reds during a difficult time. Went overseas and played for Racing and Wasps.

He was outstanding for that Sunnybank team. Was a fantastic day of rugby, and huge night back at the club.

Side note: Issac Lucas ran on the kicking tee for older brother Ben

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Just on Isaac quickly, there is no better young man in our game. He is an outstanding ambassador for our game and particularly Queensland Rugby.

Tomorrow could be very tough for him but each game he is learning and becoming better. He's the type of guy who will learn from every performance and will then work his arse off to continue his development. We will see a lot more of him and the whole young brigade.

From my interactions with them, they are all outstanding men.

Go the Reds.

B

Bobby Sands

Brad Wilkin is another great QLD product who we missed in favour of signing Gunn. He’s going very well at the Rebels keeping Hardwick on the pine.