• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

Well we just found our way to have Petaia and Paisami on the field at the same time, then leaving Jock, CFS and Filipo to fight out the 14 jersey. If Lucas’s kicking game improves dramatically then we have a great problem to deal with.

If you’re interested Jordy played a fair bit of footy at State High at fullback, you can watch his highlights, even though it’s obviously a much lower standard.

He has the skill set to play anywhere. I just hope he stays strong mentally & and can stay positive. His upside is in my opinion unprecedented, but he just needs to be allowed to grow into his body and incrementally improve his game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Can we please stop moving players out of position. We know Petaia's best spot is 13. Let's keep him there. He can share game-time with Paisami, or Paisami may turn into a solid 12 (could actually be his best postion).

I don't see either being a world class fullback, none have exceptional kicking or play-making abilities (from what I'v seen so far).

B

Bobby Sands

Vunivalu!!? I completely forgot he was coming to The Reds, how ridiculously good is that.

Also for anyone who hasn’t watched Brad Thorns presser last night, do so. He is clumsy, and a bit rigid - but he just understands the importance of connecting the rugby community & also that we have as much talent as anywhere in the world - but we just need to nurture it and develop it.

I’m a Brad Thorn guy, and I hope we continue to get the results for him to continue re-building Ballymore.

B

Bobby Sands

Can we please stop moving players out of position. We know Petaia's best spot is 13. Let's keep him there. He can share game-time with Paisami, or Paisami may turn into a solid 12 (could actually be his best postion).

I don't see either being a world class fullback, none have exceptional kicking or play-making abilities (from what I'v seen so far).

No worries mate, I’ll forward this over now. Do you prefer BCC or happy to be CC’d?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Vunivalu!!? I completely forgot he was coming to The Reds, how ridiculously good is that.

Also for anyone who hasn’t watched Brad Thorns presser last night, do so. He is clumsy, and a bit rigid - but he just understands the importance of connecting the rugby community & also that we have as much talent as anywhere in the world - but we just need to nurture it and develop it.

I’m a Brad Thorn guy, and I hope we continue to get the results for him to continue re-building Ballymore.

I'm a Brad Thorn guy as a player.

Still got a lot to prove as coach.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

These player moves from Round 1 to Round 4 have proven valuable in establishing our backline and combinations. I’d like to see Petaia have a run at fullback. We need a big kicker and if Petaia has got what we need then give it a go. He ticks all the other criteria of a fullback.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Don’t know too much about him. What position/s?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
These player moves from Round 1 to Round 4 have proven valuable in establishing our backline and combinations. I’d like to see Petaia have a run at fullback. We need a big kicker and if Petaia has got what we need then give it a go. He ticks all the other criteria of a fullback.

You need a kicker who is also accurate and efficient, what I mean is, kicking is a natural part of their game, where they can perform under pressure.

Otherwise you will just have another Folau type of fullback. He had a big boot too, but was so slow and inaccurate, and generally looked uncomfortable kicking.

I know a Folau type fullback isn't the worst thing, but how much better is a genuine kicking fullback, who can also come into the line and do some distributing/playmaking.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
You need a kicker who is also accurate and efficient, what I mean is, kicking is a natural part of their game, where they can perform under pressure.

Otherwise you will just have another Folau type of fullback. He had a big boot too, but was so slow and inaccurate, and generally looked uncomfortable kicking.

I know a Folau type fullback isn't the worst thing, but how much better is a genuine kicking fullback, who can also come into the line and do some distributing/playmaking.
We do have Dave Alred working with our kickers. It’s better to start with a kicker who can get good purchase on a ball then teach accuracy.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well we just found our way to have Petaia and Paisami on the field at the same time, then leaving Jock, CFS and Filipo to fight out the 14 jersey. If Lucas’s kicking game improves dramatically then we have a great problem to deal with.

If Petaia has the ability to match Jock's organisation at the back, then we are in a seriously good place. Still I want to see Campbell make 15 his and for the selectors to give him that chance.

B

Bobby Sands

If Petaia has the ability to match Jock's organisation at the back, then we are in a seriously good place. Still I want to see Campbell make 15 his and for the selectors to give him that chance.

It’s ended up working exactly how Thorn intended too, those two have gone on and become better players after a kick up the bum, and it gave opportunities for JP to start and flourish, as well as players like Hamish, Paisami, Jock etc in such a young backline at the Reds (such is Hunt’s utility).

One thing that has disappointed me about Hunts game in rugby is his ball playing. He was always a more than capable ball players at both school and the Broncos but has been very clunky in that department post AFL.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah me too. Just not a long term play.

Bringing JOC (James O'Connor) in closer to the action enabled him to really make his mark - for this season JOC (James O'Connor) my front runner for the 10 at the moment if he continues the trajectory of last two games.

Take player like Lolesio on tour at end of year as development player with a view that 1-2 years younger player like him could inherit the 10 role.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bringing JOC (James O'Connor) in closer to the action enabled him to really make his mark - for this season JOC (James O'Connor) my front runner for the 10 at the moment if he continues the trajectory of last two games.

Take player like Lolesio on tour at end of year as development player with a view that 1-2 years younger player like him could inherit the 10 role.

Though I might consider the mid term play being Harrison or Lucas. But Yes, Lolesio with the inside running right now.

B

Bobby Sands

We have more developing 10s right now than we have ever had. It’s incredibly promising. They need game time, but most of all they need players like James to help them develop. It’s absolutely crazy the Waratahs haven’t recruited Sam Greene in my opinion.