• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Tell you what, being based in Coogee for the week isn't too bad. Going for a swim post training will do wonders for recovery ;)

sounds amazing, but they have been in Brisbane after 13th so they are going to have to get tested & quarantine. Prob would prefer to do it earlier in the week than later.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So Vuni is out, what's the backline?

Droasese comes in to the wing? Or Stewart comes in to the center, with Paisami to 13 and Petaia to the wing?

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
So Vuni is out, what's the backline?

Droasese comes in to the wing? Or Stewart comes in to the center, with Paisami to 13 and Petaia to the wing?

I would start Droasese and have Stuart on the bench, if things go pair shaped you could always bring Stuart on and move everyone out one.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would start Droasese and have Stuart on the bench, if things go pair shaped you could always bring Stuart on and move everyone out one.

It is not only positioning though. Bringing on Stewart requires a complete change in what the 12 is doing and how the backline organises around it.

At least it has done when Stewart has taken started on the field so far. No doubt they could change his instructions.

In fact, with Stewart not a starter, and slotting into a gameplan already underway, I'll bet they have changed his stye and instructions to suit the new backline intent. It's probably already happened. It may not bring out Stewarts strengths to the same extent.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I am a bit lost on what they are doing with Stewart. It seems to me that when Paisami is playing 12 he is used as an extra playmaker. But when Stewart played 12 he wasn’t - even though it’s a role he’s well suited to and has done in the past.

Will be interested how they line up this week and how they structure their attack.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am a bit lost on what they are doing with Stewart. It seems to me that when Paisami is playing 12 he is used as an extra playmaker. But when Stewart played 12 he wasn’t - even though it’s a role he’s well suited to and has done in the past.

Will be interested how they line up this week and how they structure their attack.

Yep, that it the one with plenty of interest. More than that though, and I'm not claiming any kind of problem, but I remain bewildered as the backline bench exchange happens. Really have not been able to keep up with the (change) in positions.

Probably easier to fathom there live.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agree i would just bring on Droasese and keep the current backline. Obviously question marks over Petaia ball security, but i think dropping him to shift Stewart into 12 probably causes more disruption then it solves.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It seems to me that Brad picks his bench based on players who will close out a game. His mindset being the Reds starting 15 are good enough to get a lead, and his bench backs are good enough to hold it.

You’ve got Hergarty who is a good goal kicker and consistent around the park with a good knowledge of positional play, if not overly exciting. And Stewart who will tackle and take hit ups with a safe pair of hands. Both the type of player you want if you’ve got a narrow lead to hold onto. Hasn’t always worked in terms of building that lead though this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think having another on-baller like Stewart on the field v the Rebels would be handy. They really tried to slow down our ball and frustrate us last time, and no doubt will try the same. I'd drop Jordy, but moving him to the wing at least means he doesn't have to try to pass.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The thread has gone very quiet on Jordy possibly playing 15. I suppose because he's struggling to complete his job in a position where he's supposed to be a Wallaby.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
The thread has gone very quiet on Jordy possibly playing 15. I suppose because he's struggling to complete his job in a position where he's supposed to be a Wallaby.

I don't think 15 is a good position for someone that is suspect under the highball and holds the ball in such a poor position for retention in contact.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't think 15 is a good position for someone that is suspect under the highball and holds the ball in such a poor postion for retention in contact.
Yeah , until he sorts out his ball security on contact and decision making around the appropriate time to offload, the idea of him possibly isolated behind the first line of attack would not fill many with confidence.

Don’t think the high balls would be a problem , more what might happen if isolated.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I would like Stewart to return to 12 and pushing others out, but I think Thorn will stick with bringing Droasese to start which he did last time.

Bit more like for like swap as opposed to a reshuffle.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Any chance of seeing Grealy this year? Or is he a firm 2022+ player?

Might see him off the bench if there's an injury to Jock or Hegarty, otherwise not, i remember Bobby Sands and I had some animated discussion about whether Grealy would be the starting fullback in 2021 or not.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Might see him off the bench if there's an injury to Jock or Hegarty, otherwise not, i remember Bobby Sands and I had some animated discussion about whether Grealy would be the starting fullback in 2021 or not.

I do miss BS (you probably don't which is fair enough). The man had a, let's call it unique, way of mixing very good rugby knowledge with flat out vitriol.