• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Seriously Brad Thorn. Hell the hell does Thomas get a reds jersey. There are better 9’s currently playing prem grade at the moment. So bloody wrong. Some of these 9’s can’t even box kick or pass of the ground. Of course they can run. The 3 of them are identical. Just can’t do the simples right. Who you know I guess.

There might be better 9s right now because they’re a bit older and more physically developed, but do they have the same potential as Kalani?

I think that’s the thing we keep forgetting, squad management isn’t simply about selecting the best 33 players in Queensland, because if that were the case then you’re right some of these guys wouldn’t be there, but the Reds they need to sign these 18year olds early to stop them been picked up by other codes and clubs, but to also invest in them and accelerate their development.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry. Petaia and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) had issues last week up there with turning up to training drunk?

apology accepted. Stewart didn't turn up to training drunk. Stop spreading nasty rumours

Are you implying that those two have also had little off field issues too? Or are you saying that Petaia & LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)'s on field discipline is a just as much justification for benching?

no. They have significant on-field issues. My point is they need to be held accountable for onfield failings as others have for off-field

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think it’s a fair point. I’m a big fan of both players, but both are letting themselves and their team down with lack of attention to detail. Thorn is big on accountability. Better to give them a kick in the butt now, IMO, and give them the opportunity to bounce back and be good to go when the whips are cracking.

In a similiar vein I want to see improvement in the Reds discipline across the board. A few too many careless penalties for my liking.

Whilst the team is undefeated I feel they have never played to more than about 70% of their potential and need more focus on the accuracy of their work.

On the flip side, Stewart is likely to get his second chance this week with the injury to Vunivalu. Will be keen to see him grab it.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Petaia's ball control was poor but he was about 50 times more dangerous than Stewart is on his best day,
Unless I'm missing something, the current arrangement of 12-15 has been going well enough to continue.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)'s performance was middling against the tahs, he didn't assert himself like a regular Wallaby should when playing a total rabble (where as Uru did, and Smith was quite good too) but I'm struggling to see what the justification would be for benching him other than just rest.

These two players seem to be on the nose with you in general Reg, what's got you concerned?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)'s lack of discipline and Petaia's lack of ball control. Both are massive issues for the team that can be easily fixed by benching them. We have the depth to cover them

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Last year it came out that Thorn ‘rotated’ McDermott, but with feedback that he needed to improve his passing.

I see this as a similiar thing. Both these guys are clearly in our best 15 - but both could clearly be starting Wallabies and I think Petaia particularly and to a lessor extent Salakaia-Loto are putting their spots in jeopardy through the flaws in their performance.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ll add that I think it is worth reflecting that plenty of good players across sport get dropped or overlooked at times.

In the squad currently pretty much all of the players out there have been dropped/rotated out at some point.

More broadly across sport a short list off the top of my head includes Little, Gregan, Ponting, both Waugh’s, Fittler, Warne, Michael Jordan & Mark Spitz. I am pretty sure even Lomu got dropped at one stage.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Boys it mightn’t have been perfect, but the Reds have a record score against the Tahs and first win away against NSW since 2013. I’m happy with the result.
D8DD589A-C736-4A49-B7A4-A7A56EC76275.jpeg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds staying in Sydney overnight unsure of when they will return to QLD. Flight booked tomorrow but no sure thing.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Listened to the press conference and, for me personally, I liked what Thorn was saying.

Basically he was pleased with the win, thought that there were plenty of good things but that he was frustrated with the poor ball control and the poor discipline.

Penney very much reflected the thoughts of at least some of us here - the Tahs need a significant injection of quality & experience and if the recovery strategy is simply to wait for the young guys to come through then it’s going to be slow and painful to turnaround.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
REDS - Wallabies Squad Announced:
Filipo Daugunu
Alex Mafi
Tate McDermott
Fraser McReight
James O’Connor
Hunter Paisami
Jordan Petaia
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
Taniela Tupou
Seru Uru
Suliasi Vunivalu
Harry Wilson

No BPA is surprising. Vuni needs to show a big improvement.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Reds staying in Sydney overnight unsure of when they will return to QLD. Flight booked tomorrow but no sure thing.

Flight to Brisbane?

My sister works at the hotel which the Brisbane Lions AFLW team stayed at this week. Apparently they had the team tested and cleared the same day they arrived in Melbourne.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Flight to Brisbane?

My sister works at the hotel which the Brisbane Lions AFLW team stayed at this week. Apparently they had the team tested and cleared the same day they arrived in Melbourne.

The Reds get a chartered flight provided by their sponsor, surely they would not be delayed?

I think it would be waiting to see if a hot spot is declared, if Covid looks bad then they probably have a bit of planning to do.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Greater Brisbane going into 3 day lockdown from 5pm today.

I assume then that the Reds would fly from Sydney direct to Melbourne and would have to have a COVID-19 test on arrival and test negative before being allowed to train or play.

Best wishes to everyone in Greater Brisbane.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Did they fly back after the match?

Greater Brisbane going into 3 day lockdown from 5pm today.

I assume then that the Reds would fly from Sydney direct to Melbourne and would have to have a COVID-19 test on arrival and test negative before being allowed to train or play.

Best wishes to everyone in Greater Brisbane.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hope if the lockdown goes on for a while that the Reds stay in QLD and play out of Townsville or another regional centre as opposed to an interstate bubble.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Did they fly back after the match?

No, they made a decision to stay sunday night & assess today. I would assume now to stay in syd tonight or get to melb as quick as possible to get tested & out of quarantine.

RA would be working right now to see if the supreme leader will let the reds into the DPR melbourne

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Tell you what, being based in Coogee for the week isn't too bad. Going for a swim post training will do wonders for recovery ;)