• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
So Tupou angles in a bit but Robertson has to find a way to stay straight?
No , he has to stay bound and keep his feet.

Robertson is separated from his hooker and fallen across Tupou, it’s always going to create that angle once the LHP separates.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If Tupou is turning in, is he infringing?

As far as my outside back eyes can discern scrums are nonsense random penalty generators.

Yes and no depending on the angle that the THP pushes, the THP is aiming to shear the LHP off the scrum.
What exacerbates the issue is then LHP has no choice but to follow the THP and turns sideways.

What the LHP should be doing on opposition feed is trying to get underneath the THP and drive straight up and pop him out. Which by definition is illegal too.

Which is why props talk about painting a picture for the referee

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Here we see the first potatoes being planted for the season, Robertson really has TT in his pocket there pretty handy having pockets in the back of your jersey.
James, is that TT's arse pointing directly into ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s face? At that angle, it wouldn't surprise if any LHP went down on one knee.

ede2b04d-84ca-4156-9f03-c33e26ef91c3-jpeg.12147

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No , he has to stay bound and keep his feet.

Robertson is separated from his hooker and fallen across Tupou, it’s always going to create that angle once the LHP separates.

Fuck, Nomad. First you have Tupou angling in to shear the opposition LH from the Hooker, and then you claim it is the opposition LH losing his bind which causes TT to angle in. I will not change my mind that TT is scrumming illegally atm and with better refs he will be pinged until he changes.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Fuck, Nomad. First you have Tupou angling in to shear the opposition LH from the Hooker, and then you claim it is the opposition LH losing his bind which causes TT to angle in. I will not change my mind that TT is scrumming illegally atm and with better refs he will be pinged until he changes.

The mistake you're making is not realising that every prop is doing something illegal and will eventually get caught.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
No , I didn’t say he starts by angling in.

He and every other THP have their head between the opposing hooker and LHP . He is aiming to separate those two opposing players and as a result de-power their scrum.

Once he achieves separation and the THP folds, he no longer had pressure on his outside shoulder and ends up angled in .

The screenshot shown has Robertson already folded and having lost his bind and feet . Tupou is always going to angle in after that. It’s almost impossible for him not to once the pressure on his outside shoulder is less than his inside shoulder.

If he’s angled in at engagement, then yes that’s a penalty, but we are not seeing the engagement in that screenshot.

Have no doubt every THP are set up to angle in , but just like the breakdown, it’s up to the ref to set the standard. You get away with what you can, that’s why it’s called the “dark arts” .

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ve read plenty of times that both on here and on the Roar that Tupou will get found out by better refs. But he’s played under the best refs there is and while he does give away a few penalties, by and large he earns more than what he gives. So I don’t know what refs you, and others, are waiting for.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah so, I've never properly understood them (and never will, having no interest in participating in one now) but i always figured it didn't matter how you end up on top, just that you do.

So the scrums where Robertson comes out on top were just as valid as the ones where TT does, legality aside?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty much. That’s not to say refs shouldn’t be doing their video analysis and picking up illegal tactics and repeat offenders. Their should be regular dialogue between teams and refs about getting the scrums right. But 9 times out of 10 the refs will reward dominance and I think that’s largely how it should be.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

He fights to get his back rigid. He fights to make contact at the right height. I admire his guts and resolve and I'm sure he won't let the Wallabies down, but I'm equally sure he will present England with a small but significant advantage at scrum time."

England screwed them at Twickenham in 2005 when Baxter was yellow-carded for deliberately collapsing the scrum, and the England forwards pulverised the Australian pack again in the World Cup quarter-final in Marseille when Andrew Sheridan delivered a performance of staggering cruelty.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/r...m-thanks-to-Al-Baxter-factor-Rugby-Union.html

It always pays to remember where you've come from so that you don't repeat history, and there's a reason why scrums are called dark arts. You can stand on your high horse all you want about Taniela not being straight in X scrum. But it works, it's worked for years and the Reds now have a reputation that the English had way back when.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Nah, all THP’s will drive between the hooker and LHP, that’s not angling in, that’s pushing between the shoulders which they’re bound. Even your brumbies do it.
Angles are exacerbated in those videos because the LHP completely shears off and drives directly across.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Anyone know why Blythe missed selection this weekend? I've thought he'd been having a good season so far.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’ve read plenty of times that both on here and on the Roar that Tupou will get found out by better refs. But he’s played under the best refs there is and while he does give away a few penalties, by and large he earns more than what he gives. So I don’t know what refs you, and others, are waiting for.

TSR, to be honest, it seems to be a very recent practice on TT's part. I don't recall him having this issue in previous years.